What's new

WHY didn't we waive Davis, Bradley and Tucker?

I'm the original opjr guy here. I don't think he's a good fit anymore. If the Jazz did trade Conley they would have to get a starting caliber primary or secondary ball handler back.
I don’t know. When I think about a playoff game going down the stretch, I think a guy you can put on the other team’s best player, who still brings something on offense, is going to be more valuable than the luxury of another ball handler who’s a mismatch nightmare on the other end.

Nobody is suggesting OPJ to hit a higher ceiling. All of us who want him want him for exactly who he is: a big wing who can guard 2-4, is a good defender (better than anyone on our team), does not need the ball in his hands, but spaces the floor because he has a career three point percentage > than 40%. He’s a guy who can close games.
I am really not trying to be a contrarian here, just am not sure what this is based on. From what I have seen, OPJ’s defensive ratings aren’t really that impressive. Sure, he is usually a plus rated defender, but just barely. Gobert, Ingles, and O’Neale all generally appear to have better defensive ratings on the advanced statistics metrics I am seeing. I see that Porter did have some better numbers for one season (2017-18), but it appears to have only happened in that one season.

I have no problem with him, nor do I have any particular love for Conley. If the Jazz did actually make this trade I would certainly be curious to see how it went. I know people seem to think what we most need are switching wings, but I’m not sure that is how our defense is designed. If anything, from my memory of last season what the team most needs is better defense from
the guard positions, as it was the Lillard’s and Murray’s of the league who absolutely destroyed us. Trading Conley for a defensive guard might help. However, I think the biggest help needs to come from our newly minted max-player Donovan Mitchell, who had some of the worst defensive ratings on the entire team last year (worse than Niang on most metrics).

I don’t know. When I think about a playoff game going down the stretch, I think a guy you can put on the other team’s best player, who still brings something on offense, is going to be more valuable than the luxury of another ball handler who’s a mismatch nightmare on the other end.
OP is more talented in team D. He's a worse man defender than Royce or Ingles imo.

OP is more talented in team D. He's a worse man defender than Royce or Ingles imo.
Team D is way more important than man to man. The issue with our defense is that we have zero players outside of Rudy that provide team defense. The Rudy 1v5 defense is going to get exposed over and over. Need other guys who can cover space, create turnovers, and make good rotations.

OPJ is Robert Covington who is actually good at shooting. The injury concerns are real, but there's a reason why he's a +/- god. He provides so much winning value. A healthy Porter + Gobert would give the Jazz two of the highest value low usage players in the league. Great to have these guys on a team with so many selfish ball handlers and scorers.

Team D is way more important than man to man. The issue with our defense is that we have zero players outside of Rudy that provide team defense. The Rudy 1v5 defense is going to get exposed over and over. Need other guys who can cover space, create turnovers, and make good rotations.

OPJ is Robert Covington who is actually good at shooting. The injury concerns are real, but there's a reason why he's a +/- god. He provides so much winning value. A healthy Porter + Gobert would give the Jazz two of the highest value low usage players in the league. Great to have these guys on a team with so many selfish ball handlers and scorers.
We're not really a ball-handler/back-court scoring heavy team anymore if we don't have Conley. We'd be one injury away from real shot-creation problems again.

We're not really a ball-handler/back-court scoring heavy team anymore if we don't have Conley. We'd be one injury away from real shot-creation problems again.

If we have Conley, then we have a defensive liability who also freezes out our other ball handlers when he's in the game. Conley played very well in the bubble, but even with Bojan injured Ingles was frozen out of the offense, and his defensive effort disappeared with his offensive involvement.

I'm building this team around Donovan and Gobert first and foremost. Conley's lack of size is always going to be a tumultuous fit with Donovan.

If we have Conley, then we have a defensive liability who also freezes out our other ball handlers when he's in the game. Conley played very well in the bubble, but even with Bojan injured Ingles was frozen out of the offense, and his defensive effort disappeared with his offensive involvement.

I'm building this team around Donovan and Gobert first and foremost. Conley's lack of size is always going to be a tumultuous fit with Donovan.
Understand the fit issues with Donovan. But I'd say Joe's offensive contributions are a lot easier to scheme against in a playoff series than Conley's are. Joe was never part of the solution against the Rockets in our playoff offensive futility against them.

Understand the fit issues with Donovan. But I'd say Joe's offensive contributions are a lot easier to scheme against in a playoff series than Conley's are. Joe was never part of the solution against the Rockets in our playoff offensive futility against them.
PS -- this is not to say that I think moving from Conley to Porter would necessarily be a poor move. Just that I think we need to recognize that there's risk either way. OPJ would seem to perfectly address one problem that we have (if healthy, which is a big if), but it's at the expense of making us thinner and more vulnerable in another important area, one where we've been exposed in the playoffs in the recent past.

The solution to our offensive futility against the Rockets was hitting wide open shots against air. To Joe's credit, he at least made shots in one of the series.

I expect Conley to have some kind of rebound season. It's his contract year and he was absolutely awful to begin last season, so it will be difficult for him to top that again. But Conley isn't the solution to anything in my eyes. He's a good player, but if he's not a fit next to Donovan, he's just a luxury piece. Is he really more of a playmaking solution than Clarkson? And do we even have a playmaking issue to being with.

To me it's fairly obvious that we have a surplus of players who want the ball/shots. Players were openly admitting that they were more concerned with their personal needs than winning in post game interviews.