What's new

Why the Jazz Can't Beat the Rockets With Gobert

magic

I said that Snyder would need to figure a plan on how to beat the Rockets without Gobert and had a bunch of homers disagree with me. In before, you can't play Rudy less, he's our best player!!!1

It doesn't matter if Gobert is our best player. He's not Michael Jordan or Lebron James, so there are going to be situations where he is less than optimal.

Hopefully Gobert can make drastic adjustments for this series, but more importantly, I hope Snyder comes up with a plan B, because Houston is probably the worst match up for Gobert.

Video does a good job showing breakdowns from game 1. The Jazz will have more time to get on the same page about when to switch, when to gamble, when to help, when to sink, etc. before game 2.

I said that Snyder would need to figure a plan on how to beat the Rockets without Gobert and had a bunch of homers disagree with me. In before, you can't play Rudy less, he's our best player!!!1

It doesn't matter if Gobert is our best player. He's not Michael Jordan or Lebron James, so there are going to be situations where he is less than optimal.

Hopefully Gobert can make drastic adjustments for this series, but more importantly, I hope Snyder comes up with a plan B, because Houston is probably the worst match up for Gobert.

I'm just going by the picture and guessing they said because Harden won't get called for this offensive foul?

It has nothing to do with being a homer. The Jazz win or lose with Gobert. This is the team they built, this is the team they go down with. Plan B, C, D, and E all include Gobert.

And yeah, the Jazz will probably lose. They will definitely lose if they dont play Gobert. If the Jazz had w/e big man was the best at guarding Houston's actions, they would still probably lose. The Jazz arent losing because of Gobert (though he isnt the best player to have against Houston). They are losing because they have less talent and their starting PG (Thabo too) is injured.

If they hit their 3's they win. Simple as that. They have Mike D'Antoni orchestrating an offense behind 2 superstars! Teams tried the entire year to stop their 3 point game and no one could.
Just have to hope that 50% comes down to 30-40% on 3s and you got a chance.

Yeah. But they're right.

Look, I deeply understand the issue at hand here, but the Jazz are going to win or lose with their most impactful player. It really is just as simple as that. The team does not have the depth or the weapons to compete without him. They just don't.

You still carrying on with this take? I thought you would have sobered up by now.

Here are some ideas:
-keep Gobert going for the offensive boards, playing to his strengths, saving some energy, and forcing Houston to compensate if that becomes a problem for them. Gobert grabbing offensive rebounds is one of the few problems Utah could pose to them.
- Let whoever is back first sprint and beat Capella to the paint, and everyone be prepared to take charges (something this defense could emphasize more, Gobert or not). I'm somehow skeptical Capella has the brakes or the innate side-to-side offensive ability for this approach to be useless.
-Gobert has to guard more on the perimeter, and just resign himself to closing out with his arms up, knowing he'll probably get blown by. In that case, he just needs to be prepared to trail the play end either affect the pass, the shot from behind, or rotate. (At least in the case with Harden, and probably Paul [anyone with a deadly off-the-dribble 3]).
-in the above scenario, the team needs to totally revamp their rotation strategy, but that's been a long time coming, especially since if the Jazz get past the Rockets, they'll have to have similar set of answers for the Warriors. To be specific, you have to send the closest help to either plant and take a charge or seriously contest. If a player can beat the ballhandler to outside the restricted circle and plant, they will either get a charge, or slow down the ballhandler, which might be enough for a trailing Gobert to make a play
-Gobert is going to have to play fewer minutes in any case, in my opinion. If only so he gets more rest so he can be effective in the minutes he IS on the floor, because he's going to be run ragged.

Alec Burks should also be on the floor for every single minute Paul and Harden aren't. At a certain point, you gotta keep pace with the scoring, but Burks' defensive lapses can be killer.

The Jazz have to take their tailored game plans to a whole new level of detail, depth, and execution if this is to be a series, and I think anyone paying the slightest bit of attention already knew that.

Last edited:
The Rockets shot a better 3p% in game 1 than they have in the last series and all year. When they come back to earth, and when our team implements some adjustments the games will be closer. I think our coaching staff is better at adjustments than Houston's, and I think DM is good at adjusting his game from game to game as well as mid game. I am not worried yet as it was game 1 in Houston. I will be more worried if game 2 ends up an easy win for Houston.

It has nothing to do with being a homer. The Jazz win or lose with Gobert. This is the team they built, this is the team they go down with. Plan B, C, D, and E all include Gobert.

And yeah, the Jazz will probably lose. They will definitely lose if they dont play Gobert. If the Jazz had w/e big man was the best at guarding Houston's actions, they would still probably lose. The Jazz arent losing because of Gobert (though he isnt the best player to have against Houston). They are losing because they have less talent and their starting PG (Thabo too) is injured.
^
This same kind of logic cost the Thunder the series. They refused to bench Melo until it was too late because "that's the team they built".

And yeah you're probably going to spout some garbage about how Melo is not Gobert, yada yada while missing the bigger picture. Every situation is different and you play people more or less accordingly. Hopefully Snyder is smarter than this and makes adjustments instead of being a stubborn ******* like you.

This is like claiming OKC cant beat the Jazz with Westbrook. I guess they should have sat him for the series.

If we cant beat Houston right now it has nothing to do with Gobert and everything to do with us not being as good as them right now. They have more talent and are a much more experienced team.

This is also an overreaction to a game 1 loss. Also keep in mind we were missing our 3rd most important player in Rubio.

That video breakdown also showed the mismatches that Houston got and gave that as a reason but most of the time they showed a 3 from Houston it was well contested from our players. Most teams in the NBA will win if they shoot 32 3s and make more than half of them, even if there is decent defense. Not that we cant do better and we will/should with our defense. I trust Mitchell will get better after getting film study time and our whole team in general will. Snyder can and will make some adjustments. In the end though, we are not quite as good as Houston. Its too bad we dont play our East...

Jazz also have not shot well in the playoffs. Our 3 point percentage is down. Houston shot worse from 3 than us in the regular season and are shooting better than us from 3 in the post season. Some of that is hot and cold shooting and averages will come around.

^
This same kind of logic cost the Thunder the series. They refused to bench Melo until it was too late because "that's the team they built".

And yeah you're probably going to spout some garbage about how Melo is not Gobert, yada yada while missing the bigger picture. Every situation is different and you play people more or less accordingly. Hopefully Snyder is smarter than this and makes adjustments instead of being a stubborn ******* like you.

Uhh, wut? They traded for a Melo this year. His first year on the team and he is a declining vet.

Gobert is an emerging super-star who is 25. Yes, let's give up on that guy after one game. It's just like the Melo situation.