What's new

Why the Spurs Won

Interesting article

The Spurs are a true testament to the old adage coaches everywhere always like to preach but never really follow, ‘the ball can always move faster than the person.’ Popovich believes it and he more than instills it in his players. The Spurs have an uncanny sixth sense ability of finding the open man. In Game 3 alone, San Antonio passed the ball 93 more times than the Heat. And if you don’t think that is impressive enough, in Game 4 the Spurs passed it 113 times more than Miami. That stat right there is all you need to know... Ball movement wins games! Even on their drives to the hoop, the Spurs were finding the open man; 36 percent of all the Spurs’ drives to the basket resulted in a kick to an open teammate. - See more at: https://hoopshype.com/columns/david-nurse/why-the-spurs-won#sthash.4vd53h9W.dpuf

https://hoopshype.com/columns/david-nurse/why-the-spurs-won

Jazz are not very good.
Don't think there is a single Jazz player that could break Spurs eight man rotation.
Maybe Favors for Splitter.
But Miami has big problems ahead.
They are a mess going forward.
There might be some Jazz players that could break their top eight rotation.

They are a pleasure to watch, and very easy to root for when not playing us.

They are everything I want to be...

old jazz -> spurs.

spurs -> future jazz

history repeats. it better be god damn it

I doubt the Stock-Malone-Horny team would prevail. The Spurs depth would wear them down.

This.

The pace that the Spurs played with was nothing short of amazing. Patty Mills and Ginobli off your bench is such a luxury.

I saw those old Jazz teams and I don't think we could beat this spurs team. We would need Malone to utterly dominate down low, foul out Duncan, smash Parker with an elbow, and control the tempo.

I think eventually the spurs shooting and pace would wear us down.

The real question is could this Spurs team beat the shaq/Kobe lakers? How about the last few MJ team?

Even then, I'm not sure. It also depends on the rules... The way they call today's perimeter play and illegal defense changes things. The jazz backcourt might be able to rough up the spurs if they're allowed to play by 90s rules.

Bottom line: that spurs team was historically good. They scored, shot the ball well, and margin of victory was historically good.

I think we all just witnessed the best TEAM basketball in the history of the NBA. Extra Passes, Team Scoring, Bench Play, the Spur's have/had it all. It was absolutely beautiful to watch. I cant imagine a fan of the game of basketball not enjoying watching the Spurs even if you aren't routing for them.

I think we all just witnessed the best TEAM basketball in the history of the NBA. Extra Passes, Team Scoring, Bench Play, the Spur's have/had it all. It was absolutely beautiful to watch. I cant imagine a fan of the game of basketball not enjoying watching the Spurs even if you aren't routing for them.

86 celtics. they avged 110+ for entire playoffs without shooting much 3s. think of them as spurs with roids. and unlike spurs, that celtics had 2 top 5 players in the league.

and 87 lakers. basically they moved the ball like this spurs, but they had so much more fastbreak points and had flawless inside and outside game. and they had that beautiful style which has never been duplicated in the nba simply because of Magic.

so answer is absolutely no.

before Jordan arrived, most teams played like this spurs. sharing the ball, no heroes, and kept moving at a frantic pace. Jordan really created this hero ball phenomenon.

but i appreciate what the spurs has done. they brought the old school basketball back. mad kudos.

I saw those old Jazz teams and I don't think we could beat this spurs team. We would need Malone to utterly dominate down low, foul out Duncan, smash Parker with an elbow, and control the tempo.

The real question is could this Spurs team beat the shaq/Kobe lakers? How about the last few MJ team?

Bottom line: that spurs team was historically good. They scored, shot the ball well, and margin of victory was historically good.

....Stockton/Malone teams would have been an interesting match, but Spurs depth and overall brains plus AA would have prevailed....I'm almost sure. Now, this Spurs team would have annihilated those Kobe/Shaq teams, just like the Stockton/Malone Jazz teams did in there prime! Shaq would have fouled out early trying to play Duncan...Kobe would have done the same thing Lebron did, try and take over the game when things were going South......and it would have been 4 out of 5 or even a sweep, just like what the less talented, less fundamentally sound Pistons did to them in 2004!

....a great team to watch, just as much fun, just as much ball movement, ton's of BBrains, no hip hop slop whatsoever.....were the 1976-77 Blazers with Bill Walton and his band of merry men! Took down Dr. J and George McGinnis along with Doug Collins and World B. Free 4 straight, after losing the first 2 games somehow! Then the next year that started out 42-8 before Walton got hurt and that was the beginning of the end for the Blazers! But boy, did they know how to pass, pick and roll, and get open shots for anyone on the court! A real "work of art!"

The Jazz, not surprisingly, went 0-3 against the Spurs. The silver lining is Favors completely destroyed their front line in 2 of the 3 games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BO3P68IS94w

...not even close! Those Knick teams were good, but check total assists vs. turnovers! Spurs almost averaging 30 assists in this Heat series!

...ok, I was wrong. Those Blazer teams averaged 25 assists, while that one Knick team in 1973 averaged almost 27 assists! But I just remember how that ball would zip around the court so fast your head would spin before they ended up with a layup or dunk! This Spurs team averaged 25 assists for the season as well, but can't seem to find what they averaged in the Finals! A little help out there???

some notable regular season assists stat

87 lakers -29.6
86 celtics - 29
09 jazz - 26.7
05 suns - 26.6
03 kings - 26.2
02 jazz - 25.6

sloan is my hero

Why the Spurs won?

Because King Duncan is boss! Check out his new gf! Apparently, he went through a nasty divorce last year during the Finals. Is it just me or does she look eerily similar to another hot lady who was a mega Spurs fan and was associated with the Big 3...

images

Vanessa-Macias-is-Tim-Duncan%E2%80%99s-Hot-Girlfriend-photos-wiki-bio-video.jpg

Vanessa-Macias-is-Tim-Duncan%E2%80%99s-Hot-Girlfriend-photos-wiki-bio-video-5.jpg

IMG_2126.jpg

Reactions: BTP
...ok, I was wrong. Those Blazer teams averaged 25 assists, while that one Knick team in 1973 averaged almost 27 assists!

theres an old reel of film with Howard Cosell describing that Knicks team as a "Gestalt" - 'Something greater than the sum of its parts'. Before beating Wilt and Jerry West's Lakers in the Finals they took out a 68-14 Celtics team in the ECF.

...ok, I was wrong. Those Blazer teams averaged 25 assists, while that one Knick team in 1973 averaged almost 27 assists! But I just remember how that ball would zip around the court so fast your head would spin before they ended up with a layup or dunk! This Spurs team averaged 25 assists for the season as well, but can't seem to find what they averaged in the Finals! A little help out there???

Spurs in the playoffs
510 assists in 23 games.
22.2 assists

Spurs in finals
127 assists in 5 games.
25.4 assists

compare that to

86 celtics in the playoffs
515 assists in 18 games.
28.6 assists

finals
164 assists in 6 games.
27.3 assists

so let's please not get carried away. spurs did have 3 great games in a row. but they didn't perform as well as they should be in first 2 games. pop did a brilliant job inserting boris diaw.

87 lakers -29.6
86 celtics - 29

...I knew they passed the ball around more in the 80's! Thanks for the find, Fab! What did the Spurs averaged against the Heat?

87 lakers -29.6
86 celtics - 29

...I knew they passed the ball around more in the 80's! Thanks for the find, Fab! What did the Spurs averaged against the Heat?

25.4 avg

game 1 - 30
game 2 - 26
game 3 - 21
game 4 - 25
game 5 - 25

so sometimes assists number doesn't tell the whole story. game 3 everybody was making shots without the assists. and great teams like MJ's bulls didn't have great assists numbers because they didn't need to.