What's new

Wilbon: Jazz a 55-win team next year with Steve Nash

Nash is looking for a team that will pay him past his 41st birthday. At the end of the 2014-15 season he will be older than John Stockton was when he retired.

He makes 11.7 million now. A reasonable deal would pay him about 20--22 million over the 3 years.

The Jazz should make this offer if they can secure Lillard or Marshall in the draft and move Harris.

Nash + Marshall is just creamy. Could there be a better situation for a playmaking rook to come into?

Nash + Marshall is just creamy. Could there be a better situation for a playmaking rook to come into?

That would also give you a projected starting 5 in 2013-2014 of:

Steve Nash - PG
Alec Burks - SG
Gordan Hayward - SF
Derrick Favors - PF/C
Enes Kanter - PF/C

With the deal I mentioned earlier for Nash - the combined payroll for this starting 5 would be about 24 million and could easily win about 55 games with 2 or 3 solid role players.

Exciting to think about.

Also, if we somehow got Nash, would we want to trade away Jefferson and a future pick for Harrison Barnes? I think if we get Nash we will have to add an additional 3 point shooter somehow. Would we have enough money to sign Brandon Rush along with Nash?

Also, if we somehow got Nash, would we want to trade away Jefferson and a future pick for Harrison Barnes? I think if we get Nash we will have to add an additional 3 point shooter somehow. Would we have enough money to sign Brandon Rush along with Nash?
That's a pretty steep price for Barnes.

Well if we sign Nash to a sizable contract, do we really have enough money to keep him and Millsap? What about the following year when we have to sign Favors and Hayward?

The pick is what I have an issue with. Al and a pick for Barnes? I am still very curious about how good Barnes will be in the NBA. I guess we'll see what happens.

Well if we sign Nash to a sizable contract, do we really have enough money to keep him and Millsap? What about the following year when we have to sign Favors and Hayward?

Nash makes 11.7 mil now. Do you think he will ask for a 3 year deal which will pay him into his 40's AND a raise?

If so, then I wish him good luck.

Otherwise, Jazz have 0 dollars committed after next year except team options totalling less than 20 mil. If Nash can be had for a modest 3 year deal at about 7-8 mil per, then The Jazz will have plenty of space to resign Millsap

Hell no. If Jazz sign Nash then they go for a championship now and Jefferson is a huge part of that. Picking up Barnes would mean waiting until Nash is retired before making a push. He's not adding at an elite level for 3 years, if ever. If you like Barnes that much then trade Jeffy for him and turn the reigns fully over to Millsap and Favors. We'd squeak back into the 7-8 spot while building for the future.

FACT:

Utah is closer to Canada than Arizona or Miami. Obviously Steve would prefer to play in SLC.

office-dwight.jpg

This team is budding with leaders. Bringing in 'the man' at this point would hurt chemistry and stunt what is growing on its own here. Sorry, love Steve still. Right guy, wrong time.

Hell no. If Jazz sign Nash then they go for a championship now and Jefferson is a huge part of that. Picking up Barnes would mean waiting until Nash is retired before making a push. He's not adding at an elite level for 3 years, if ever. If you like Barnes that much then trade Jeffy for him and turn the reigns fully over to Millsap and Favors. We'd squeak back into the 7-8 spot while building for the future.

Jefferson is a horrible PnR big man. He might actually hurt the situation because his game is based off of iso plays.

I would like Steve Nash just for the bragging rights. What other franchise can say that they had 3 of the top assisting PG's in NBA history?

I would like Steve Nash just for the bragging rights. What other franchise can say that they had 3 of the top assisting PG's in NBA history?

Since Stockton spent his entire career in Utah, probably not too many.

Phoenix. Kevin Johnson, Steve Nash, Jason Kidd.

Not sure were KJ places on that since his career was kind of short compared to most PG's because of injuries.

Heh, was about to start a thread on this very subject and lo and behold - here it is! I think it's a great idea, personally. Nash is not at his best, obviously, yet he still led the league in assists and that's exactly what this Jazz team needs - a solid floor general!

Okay, got that wrong. Nash was second, but still...

Unfortunately, he'll probably end up in Miami, but we should try to get him anyway.