What's new

Will the Jazz start making major signings this offseason?

Carbon13

With the major rise in salary cap happening the year after next, will the Jazz try to make a splash in free agency this year in order to get players at frugal prices?

With the major rise in salary cap happening the year after next, will the Jazz try to make a splash in free agency this year in order to get players at frugal prices?
If they hold onto Kanter, Booker and their picks, the Jazz won't have any cap space. They'll only have the MLE.

Nope. Regardless of the salary cap going up in 2 seasons, Utah still needs to have cap space this summer to make that splash. And they don't. Well, I take that back. They could POTENTIALLY be $17-$19M under the cap IF they a) don't make a qualifying offer to Enes, b) trade Novak and c) don't exercise the team option on Booker's contract.

Also I don't think players will be had for "frugal" prices. The increase in the cap will already be factored into many deals.

I think the Jazz will look at a lot of options this offseason. We know have a solid nucleus (Hayward, Favors, Gobert) that could attract bigger players.

The only way the Jazz sign a impact free agent is if they trade Kanter at the deadline. Otherwise, they don't have cap space, and if Kanter makes it to RFA they will extend him or match his offer.

A better question might be "Will the Jazz use their boatload of assets to make a blockbuster acquisition this offseason?"

That's really the only way they can make a big splash, or through a sign-and-trade. . . but they have to send salary back if that happens. My personal preference is for them to trade Kanter, Burke and assets to grab a player here at the deadline (hopefully young and cheap) and then use their newly created cap space to make a splash or buy a bench. Not sure I'm sold on Kanter long-term for big bucks. His knee still worries me.