What's new

With Korver, we...

People will never learn that role players don't fundamentally change teams, they just don't have the ball or shoot the ball enough for it to be the case. He might help on the margins but Korver was never going to be a game changer for us playing 15 minutes a game and taking 4-5 shots a game. He never was a game changer in his career, I don't know why people thought he would be now at 37-38 years old?

I think they can fundamentally change good teams, as they may prove the missing piece to elevate a team to the next level. I would say Jeff Hornacek teeters on the definition of role player and he absolutely elevated the Jazz from just another WC team to one who actually contended.

The Jazz is not a good team right now - so, adding an additional role player to the team isn't going to change much. The fundamentals of this team will only change when they bring in another legit scorer. Korver isn't it.

I think they can fundamentally change good teams, as they may prove the missing piece to elevate a team to the next level. I would say Jeff Hornacek teeters on the definition of role player and he absolutely elevated the Jazz from just another WC team to one who actually contended.

The Jazz is not a good team right now - so, adding an additional role player to the team isn't going to change much. The fundamentals of this team will only change when they bring in another legit scorer. Korver isn't it.
I don't remember hornacek only playing 15 minutes per game though.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app

I would say Jeff Hornacek teeters on the definition of role player...

Seriously? I wouldn't say that at all. He was an incredibly good starter whose number was even retired. If you think that's a role player than you've got a mighty strange definition going on.

People will never learn that role players don't fundamentally change teams, they just don't have the ball or shoot the ball enough for it to be the case. He might help on the margins but Korver was never going to be a game changer for us playing 15 minutes a game and taking 4-5 shots a game. He never was a game changer in his career, I don't know why people thought he would be now at 37-38 years old?

Uhhh, I mean he is definitely a game-changer. He just can't change every game of the season.

It really depends on what your definition of game changer is. He will absolutely be a big difference maker in some games and the best part of a guy like Kyle is that the attention he gets helps everyone perform. Like he doesn't push us from playoff hopeful to championship contender, but hardly any moves do. Getting Niko, OP Jr., etc. wouldn't be game changers. You add pieces where you can and Korver is a piece that will work well for us.

What he adds is worth the contract and acquisition price for sure. I'm with @Saint Cy of JFC here. Kyle has never been a huge volume guy but if he comes in and for 15 minutes he's the #1 or #2 thing a defense is worried about that is helpful. On nights where he goes 3/4 from 3 it gives a huge boost... especially to such an offensively anemic team. On the 1/6 nights he still has value just by being on the floor.

Seriously? I wouldn't say that at all. He was an incredibly good starter whose number was even retired. If you think that's a role player than you've got a mighty strange definition going on.
You forgot to mention he was also an All-Star with Phoenix, just two seasons before joining the Jazz.

Horny's best seasons statistically were with Phoenix - not Utah. I used the term 'teetering' role player because it's true. Toni Kukoc was also considered a role player and his PPG average with the Bulls wasn't that dissimilar to Horny's with the Jazz.

Horny's best seasons statistically were with Phoenix - not Utah. I used the term 'teetering' role player because it's true. Toni Kukoc was also considered a role player and his PPG average with the Bulls wasn't that dissimilar to Horny's with the Jazz.

But part of stitches point in the post you first quoted was that a player who only gets on the court for 15 minutes a game cant have a big effect. Thats not enough time.

Show me where horny and kukoc only averaged 15 minutes oer game and had a big effect.