What's new

Woj: Don to the Cavs for Markkanen, Agbaji, Sexton, three unprotected 1sts, two swaps, and a partridge in a pear tree.

How do we feel about Agbaji moving forward? Now watching his highlights.

I like him a lot. He has good athleticism and shooting... I don't think he's going to be a star or anything, but I think he will be a really solid 3&d player.

Seems like a safe enough bet to be a serviceable rotation player.

His shooting could be fake though seeing as he shot a career 71% from the FT line in college and only shot above 70% once for a season. Though, some context, nearly half of his total attempts came in his senior season when he shot 152 and made 74% of them, so the previous 159 over 3 years might just be a small sample size thing.

I think we made a slight mistake not going back to them and saying "here is the offer we have... here is the offer we will accept to beat it... get everyone on the line now or the next time you hear about Donovan it will be from Woj". It sounds like Cavs would have let us do it.... maybe not. I think the Knicks may still have called the bluff but I wonder if they could rewind the last two weeks if they would go a different route.
I'm wondering how much the Sexton negotiations played into the Jazz not feeling they could just go back and try to get more from the Knicks.

At some point (and maybe it's all simultaneous; I don't know) there's also contract negotiations with Sexton/Klutch involved in the discussion. Do you just leave them hanging and say, "hey wait, we want to check to see if the Knicks can beat the offer. Don't worry, you can still take the Cavs QO if we like the Knicks offer better."?

btw, how many teams have more Klutch clients than we do now? Anybody know?

He should be a 3D wing, though his actual defense is TBD. I could see him have a long career in the mold of a Courtney Lee. Decent depth piece. But who knows, maybe he's got more than that.

Seems like a safe enough bet to be a serviceable rotation player.

His shooting could be fake though seeing as he shot a career 71% from the FT line in college and only shot above 70% once for a season. Though, some context, nearly half of his total attempts came in his senior season when he shot 152 and made 74% of them, so the previous 159 over 3 years might just be a small sample size thing.
Didn’t he shoot the three ball well in summer league?

I'd say "mildly optimistic," which sounds in line with what others are saying. I see potential. I think he's smart. He has some talent. Good athlete. But as others have said, I think it's the ball-handling and actual (rather than theoretical) defense that he'll have to improve on. I've said elsewhere that I think he's going to have to get over some passivity in his game to really reach his potential.

I think Agbaji could be a 12-14 year player in this league. He's probably more of a Danny Green/Reggie Bullock roleplayer which is an archetype that is very in demand. Once Jazz find their difference maker(s) in the draft I can see Agbaji playing an important role on the team.

i realize this is likely my purple goggles talking, but damn, watching Markkanen, he looks like a dude ready and capable of having a breakout season. combination of height, strength, athleticism and shooting you just don't see often. sometimes guys just don't put it all together for various reasons, but i don't see why he can't be an all-star level talent.

If they passed, they wouldn’t be running all-time damage control in the media.
They “walked away” convinced that the Jazz had no other high end offers and they could afford to play hardball. Turns out Cleveland saw an opening and put their cards on the table.

Like I said, if the Jazz higher ups decided to blow it up, I’m glad that the best offers ended up coming from other small markets instead of LA/NY.

i realize this is likely my purple goggles talking, but damn, watching Markkanen, he looks like a dude ready and capable of having a breakout season. combination of height, strength, athleticism and shooting you just don't see often. sometimes guys just don't put it all together for various reasons, but i don't see why he can't be an all-star level talent.
Well, dude will get his chance.

At the NBA level he's been almost exclusively a catch and shoot player. He would need to show some ability to create for himself and others before you can start talking all star.