What's new

Woj: Jazz agree to 3-team trade with Lakers and Timberwolves

NAW was just a salary throw-in. We also got back two guys that nobody cares about.

Not to me he wasnt
He was supposed to be backing up sexton instead of THT

I was planning on watching and enjoying jazz games the rest of the season. There is some value in that imo

Sent from my iPad using JazzFanz mobile app

You guys are acting like we traded the farm. We traded a starter and two bench players. What the **** do you expect?
We also traded three second round picks and a third bench player. Is it too much to expect an unprotected first, or a first that doesn’t immediately turn into a second?

We won’t know for 4 years, but this literally could wind up being one of those trades that has to be included in the worst trades ever discussion. It isn’t unthinkable that it will wind up being a single second round pick.

I don’t care! I’m not changing my picture.
This is stupid, it’s too soon.

My first impression is we didn’t get enough. If salary and cap flexibility was useful because free agents were fighting to get here, that would mean something, but that’s not the case. We have to make trades or draft players and force them to be here. Otherwise I might be more excited.

My theory on why DA was okay with just getting 1 protected 1st from LAL and this is very pie in the sky thinking. I'm sure he wanted both LAL picks and for them to be unprotected but the Lakers weren't going to do that but essentially what the trade potentially did do was make the Lakers better and Minnesota worse in the short term. If DA can help the Lakers make the play-in/playoffs and possibly knock Minnesota out then why wouldn't you want to do that knowing you have Minnesota's pick?

Having 2 lottery picks in what is seen as a really good draft > Having 1 lottery pick.

Again I'm sure that's not what was DA's line of thinking but it's easier for me to cope with thinking that's the master plan knowing that LAL pick has the potential to turn into a 2nd lol

last man standing

would love to see these 3 play again together.....
Yep that's really the hardest part and probably the reason why we fell so flat tonight. This group has been so tight, you can feel it as a fan and part of the reason this season has been so special imo.

I think the trade is meh. Would I have liked better? Yes! Would I have liked no protection on the pick... or even the second pick included? Of course... Would have I wanted us to not give up 2nd round picks? Yeah...

But I feel like people undervalue the 27 pick. Even lightly protected it's still overwhelmingly likely that it will convey to us. Even if they are the worst team in the league that year, we still get about 50% chance that the pick is conveyed. Those type of picks still have very high value in the league, which has to factor in the equation too - don't think of that pick just as a pick, think of it as potential trade capital too. I personally like this pick better than say... 2 lottery protected picks for example.

And those seconds... less than ideal but again - keep in mind we are getting tons of picks coming our way in the next 5-6 years so it will become increasingly hard to roster all of those.

And of course... since the moment we traded Mitchell and Gobert, the real prize this year is the chance to win the Wemby sweepstakes. I'm glad we picked that road. It's probably too late now, but still I hope we raise our odds significantly by the end of the year.

Last edited:
This deal gets A on the aspects of flexibility (Cap + asset flexibility) and picking a direction (tank obviously). So those are the big positives. Of course not positives for those who hoped the direction wouldnt be full tank.

In terms of player development going forward, I will give this a B. We cleared the logjam on guards which means Sexton, Ochai and THT are the biggest beneficiaries in this minutes-wise. Thats a big plus. However we only moved 1 vet and 3 young guys.. so JC, KO and Gay still remain while Vando and NAW wont get a chance to improve with us anymore.

In terms of value of assets this gets a C at best.
- We didnt get "the coveted asset" which many believe to be a top pick in 2027. Lakers tanking to a bottom 4 record that year would give them over 50% odds of keeping the pick in which case we get only a 2nd, and the return haul ends up being much worse than what trading those individual pieces would have given us. This is just a huge gamble in terms of draft asset value.
- Players in are absolutely end of bench.. seeing they were end of bench in a team that had way worse bench than we did. So whatever the players out were valued for, there is no return value so its just a clear dump of player assets.

We made friends with this for sure... but the biggest negative is that we risk helping the Wolves with this and end up on the losing side in this years draft (albeit we will never know where Wolves would have ended up without this trade). My eyeball test on the Wolves has been that they are a bad team and I was pretty sure they would fall out of the play in with the schedule they have... but now with DLo out and Conley in I gotta run that test again.

Last edited:
Not thrilled waking up to this. We better use that LA pick to move up in the draft or something. Not looking forward to sitting around waiting to see it turn into nothing in 2027.

the 2 players we got back from LA are both listed as day to day meaning they are injured and their points averages are *****ouse this trade absolutely stinks worst in franchise history

If that Lakers pick wasn't protected the trade would seem just fair to me. Hopefully it will convey.