What's new

Would You Draft Topic at 10?

Would You Draft Topic at 10?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Saint Cy of JFC

2022 Award Winner
Simple question. Once thought to be a high ceiling prospect recent news of a torn acl and drastically shorter than reported wingspan have brought doubts to many.

Jazz has to draft for highest potential. With all the picks they own for future,you can take one risk choice with potentially high reward.

Outside of trading up for someone like Sheppard or Castle, I think Topic falling to 10 is my current realistic best case scenario.

I still have Topic as a player likely to have one of the biggest impacts, if not the biggest impact, in the draft. The ACL is a buzzkill, but if the long-term prognosis is fine then yes I'd take him at 10. He gets compared to Dragic a fair amount. Dragic was a better shooter off the dribble, but Topic is a better driver and playmaker.

I think this is a good thread. It looks like most people are on board so far. Topic has a high bust potential, so if he doesn't work out and we all start complaining we can go back to this thread and remind ourselves that we understood the risk.

I think this is a good thread. It looks like most people are on board so far. Topic has a high bust potential, so if he doesn't work out and we all start complaining we can go back to this thread and remind ourselves that we understood the risk.
So you had a post about floor and defense/shooting and I think it was smart. I go back and forth because to win a title you are looking at outlier outcomes. But one of the richest, self made guys I know will take profit on real estate deals rather than ride them out for the maximum upside and his platitude is "you'll never go broke taking profits". So I'm like 90% sure a guy like Devin Carter will be a solid third guard in the league that provides defense along with the scoring you normally want... like do you take that bet in this draft or swing for Topic? I'm good either way as the thought process is sound both ways and I like both guys enough.

Holland/Topic/Rob/Carter/Edey are the guys I think I like most at 10. I'd love to either trade up into the mid teens or trade back while realizing profit and take one of the guys from this group.

Depends on who else is there, but yes... I'd probably do it if he was there.

My main issue with the wingspan report is that his defensive floor and ceiling are extremely low now.

When I watched his defensive highlights I was already super uneasy, but I thought to myself "well he has a 7' wingspan, just treat him like he is Luka, put him off ball and he can probably be decent if he tries because of the length".

Luka was always a great rebounder had active hands. I know that 1v1 on ball defense is all people care about, but that stuff matters. Guys like Luka and LaMelo are able to contribute to defense because their size actually impacts the game. The wingpsan news didn't effect me too much because even if he had a 7'0 wingspan it was for nothing. Topic has always been a zero position defender in my eyes which is why I never had him in my top tier.

I still think he's one of the best, if not the best offensive prospect in this draft. I'll have to redo my board soon....but as of right now it's looking like we might have a choice between Holland/Topic/Dilly. I think I would rank them in that order but I don't feel too strongly about it. Collier/Williams/Carter are right behind them for me.

No on Topic. Know many people w/ post acl repair who simply do not return to baseline function.
There are already questions w/ Topic and don't need more.
Plus would not pass up on, say, Clingan or Edey.
Who's going to help get in Wemby's face for the next decade?

Of course we need Topic. Playing guards who are bad at defense has been a very important part of the the Utah Jazz core identity for a long time. Now there is a real risk that we may lose Clarkson and a competent defensive player may somehow sneak into our rotation. Drafting Topic would ensure that it would not happen and that we will continue enjoying the same familiar Utah basketball for years to come. Keyonte, Topic and Sexton, lets go!

Topic seems to have elite ballhandling and passing skills
Jazz need that. Jazz could still get defense with #29 and #32
Could still keep Dunn

I dont think i would. Mainly because of health. Dramatic injuries worry me more during early development. Dante Exum, Raul Lopez. I think there are some good pieces in this draft and I’d rather find our next Jaden Mcdaniels, Naz Reid, Kyle Andersen, or Joe Ingles, than try to swing for the fences on an injured point guard (been there done that before). Heck id even be ok with swinging for the fences on Salaun or Dadiet than Topic.

I’m not a medical doctor (but I play one on TV) and I’m no draft expert, so my opinion is not expert. But I’m just not interested in drafting damaged goods. Would rather draft Collier, Carter, Knecht, probably even Holland.

Back