What's new

Would You Trade Walker Kessler for The 9th Pick?

Would You Trade Walker Kessler for The 9th Pick?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Saint Cy of JFC

2022 Award Winner
So it seems like there is no shot Donovan Clingan, the presumed #1 prospect for the Grizzlies, falls to them at 9 and they probably dont want to pay the cost to move up.

On social media general NBA fans/Grizzlies fans take the idea of a 9/Walker swap pretty positively. I guess around the NBA Walker is still seen as a great young rim protector and they dont have the bad taste in their mouth of him stagnating in his 2nd year.

So would you do Walker for the 9th pick?

I would do the trade. I like Kessler, but think I see his ceiling. I'd rather have one more chance at a potential star.

I still believe in Kessler, although I admit it's reserved optimism. He has a demonstrated elite NBA skill that also happens to be one of the most important aspects of winning basketball. He needs to find a way to stay on the court on offense, and I'm not 100% sure how that happens, but I hope he figures it out.

On the other hand if he is really at odds with the development staff and wants to be a shooter, then I would be ok with changing directions. If we ended up moving him I won't throw a fit and trust the FO.

I probably would, but it really depends on who is still on the board. I’d love to get one of the wings at 9, and Topic at 10 in this scenario

It doesn't seem as though the FO believes in him, so in that sense I think it's best to move on. Maybe it turns out he proves the FO wrong, but if he does it probably won't happen here. There are a lot of teams that would have played him more minutes than Collins despite his struggles, we were not one of them so it might be worthwhile to trade him to trade him to a team that would. I think his rookie deal also has extreme value for certain teams, UTA isn't necessarily one of them. He will mean more to a team with a higher priority of his skillset + higher value of his rookie deal.

MEM is a great landing spot for him. I do not love any of the prospects in that range....but it's a fair deal. I think I'd be more intrigued with a trade up for Castle/Sheppard.

My weak answer is it depends on who is available at 9.
Remember the days when people were saying they would take him straight up over Gobert?
Even then I thought it was premature.. but not a completely bonkers take.
I like Kessler. Still have hope for him.
So... assuming Shep, Castle, Risacher, Sarr, Clingan (maybe Carter, maybe Edey) are all gone, I say no.

I remember this time last year a good portion of the board was saying Walker had more potential than Gobert and I was a Walker Kessler hater.

Now most would trade him for the 9th pick in a weak draft.

how the tables have turned.

I would. If I knew Hardy trusted him more and if I thought he sees him as our center of the future I might not... but IMO he obviously has serious reservations about him. Thus... if he's not going to use him... trade him and get someone that might get used.

Also, and this is just internet rumors from UNC fans, but supposedly Walker Kessler's dad is annoying behind the scenes. I was told that his dad pushes Kessler to be a stretch 5 and part of the reason he transferred out of UNC was because Roy wouldnt let him shoot 3's

It probably depends on who is still available at #9 to get me to jump, but I'll say yes. If the Jazz can get a lottery pick for Kessler, I'd do it in general. If the Jazz don't see Walker as a starter, then even a guy like Filipowski is probably a better fit.

count me as a hell no. I still love kessler and fu to the losers who have given up on him. now for the first pick overall, thats a different story. id probably help Kessler pack his **** to show my appreciation.

I would. If I knew Hardy trusted him more and if I thought he sees him as our center of the future I might not... but IMO he obviously has serious reservations about him. Thus... if he's not going to use him... trade him and get someone that might get used.

same here. I think Kessler exceeds the expectation for the 9th pick....but if we're not going to invest in him/not believe in him this is good value for him.

I just don't see him fitting Hardy's schemes. Let's get someone in who does.
I'm curious to see how Kessler fits in another situation.

Back