What's new

WTF happened to rap?

Just keeping it skeptical by pointing out the combination of selective memory and the nostalgia effect.
I don’t ever remember rap being this hideously bad in its commercial form, nostalgia or not.

I think what you’re trying to say is that the pop-rap of this era isn’t as good as the pop-rap of era’s past.

That’s a personal thing— but there’s lots of fantastic rap in this era too. Maybe billboard won’t play it, but that doesn’t matter. If you like your positive low-profanity rap there’s always pop stars like Chance the Rapper

I like NF, Logic (probably my favorite), lacrae (christian rap), g-eazy, lupe fiasco, and gym class heroes to name a few.

What i hate is mumble rap, rap that is just way too repetitive, and rap that doesnt have anything of value to say.

Sent from my iPad using JazzFanz mobile app

OP, listen to these 4 songs for me. They might give you hope.

OP, listen to these 4 songs for me. They might give you hope.

Those are good. Babe mentioned the song Up With Trump, which gives a good example of what I’m hearing commercially.

My wife had played some songs for me by whoever it was that won best rap artist or album or whatever. The same kind of stuff. Not sure how this staccato trend caught on.

I didnt watch the game, but wasnt J Cole the half-time performer? That guy is like as old-school as it gets when it comes to modern mainstream rappers.

I like NF, Logic (probably my favorite), lacrae (christian rap), g-eazy, lupe fiasco, and gym class heroes to name a few.

What i hate is mumble rap, rap that is just way too repetitive, and rap that doesnt have anything of value to say.

I love that they are running out of edgy names. Someone seriously called Flo-rida and the Wknd? lolol

I'm waiting for Kan-zas and FridyNyt

This. I curse enough as it is. My kids don’t need to hear it in their music too.
Don't worry. They will hear more F-words their first day of Jr. High than they will ever hear any curse words from you in their life time.

Anyone who thinks rap now has more bad language than "back in the day" never listened to 2 live crew or any rap in the early 90's. Rap hasn't been even close to clean since run dmc hung them up.

Mumble rap is a great way to put it. I think that is the slim shady effect. Eminem had such vocal control, gifted really, among a few others, that now the less-talented guys try to emulate it and just sounds like they are going the equivalent of "la-la-la-la-la".

Mumble rap is a great way to put it. I think that is the slim shady effect. Eminem had such vocal control, gifted really, among a few others, that now the less-talented guys try to emulate it and just sounds like they are going the equivalent of "la-la-la-la-la".

Mumble rap triplet flow isn't the same as Bone Thugs' triplet flow or Drake's triplet flow on Migos.