What's new

Yesterday, I got the last 4G iPhone in Vegas

I can add a bit to the wireless syncing features of Android. First off it syncs all contacts and calendar events instantly across all Google services. It's instant and wireless. Update something on the phone, you can instantly see that update online. It also works the other way around. For me this is one the best features of Android. It is just so well integrated with all Google services. Next up Google is adding wireless media streaming from any media player, including iTunes. I don't recall if this feature is coming with FroYo (version 2.2) or Gingerbread (version 3.0). They showed the feature off at the Google I/O conference. It looks to work wonderfully, and like all other Google services it will be free. They also have the cloud that is coming with one of the next two software updates. Along with the cloud they are launching a web based version of the Android Market. With the cloud feature you can select an app from the Android Marketplace online, and it will instantly be pushed to your phone through the cloud. Google is also launching their own music store to go along with this. I'm pretty sure iPhone can't do any of that.

One more note to add. Android will also work seamlessly with Google TV. Logitech has already developed a remote control app that will control Google TV. Google TV is also based on the Android OS. I'm very excited to get Google TV. It's going to open up so many new possibilities.

Thanks for the feedback. I have 13 more months on this contract and last month convinced my employer to (instead) give me this Sprint 4G Overdrive instead of the phone so I'll probably consider a switch in a few months.

Another concern I have is the SO MANY flavors of Android out there. I'll always be a phone behind in 2 weeks when the Incredible is replaced by the EVO is replaced by the Droid X ... and they all don't even run the same OS version.

BTW, impressed with the Sprint 4G even though I'm not getting the "advertised" speeds on my Overdrive near Ogden. Check out the personal twitter.com/jscherbel for my test results ;)

Thanks for the feedback. I have 13 more months on this contract and last month convinced my employer to (instead) give me this Sprint 4G Overdrive instead of the phone so I'll probably consider a switch in a few months.

Another concern I have is the SO MANY flavors of Android out there. I'll always be a phone behind in 2 weeks when the Incredible is replaced by the EVO is replaced by the Droid X ... and they all don't even run the same OS version.

BTW, impressed with the Sprint 4G even though I'm not getting the "advertised" speeds on my Overdrive near Ogden. Check out the personal twitter.com/jscherbel for my test results ;)

Free overdrive? Man that's pretty awesome.

I wouldn't worry about the OS on Android phones. They all get updated to the same OS, regardless of what the phone originally shipped with. The only exceptions are some of the really old phones aren't getting the latest upgrade (2.2) when it's realesed because the hardware is too old. Most of the apps run on all versions of Android though, so it doesn't make much of a difference. Either way though, if you buy any of the curent Android superphones (Incredible, Evo, Droid X, Droid 2, Nexus One, soon to be Samsung Galaxy S) even if it gets replaced with a better phone, you can expect it to get an official upgrade top the latest Android OS that is announced when the device is released (which is currently 2.2, 3.0 has not been "officially" announced yet and certainly won't be released before next year anyway).

Salty, I like my iPhone 3GS and Im probably going to get the iPhone 4. Does that bother you?

Salty, I like my iPhone 3GS and Im probably going to get the iPhone 4. Does that bother you?
No, why would I care what phone you get? lol

Now, if you want to tell me that it's better than my phone, then we can debate that. But I don't care what phone you get.

So...what DOES matter, then? You want to know which phone will have the best Farmville app?
Music, maps, Internet, camera, video, speed dial, calendar, email, clock, messaging, contacts, phone, games, and memos for starters.

Show me one iPhone user that wouldn't be happy if they suddenly lowered his bill, uncapped his data, sped his data up to 4G standards, got rid of the crappy app approval process, standardized all the connections, gave full Flash support, and added wireless sync that doesn't require iTunes or any other proprietary software.
None of that is an issue for me. Sorry. Fail again.

Music, maps, Internet, camera, video, speed dial, calendar, email, clock, messaging, contacts, phone, games, and memos for starters.

None of that is an issue for me. Sorry. Fail again.
Uh, make up your mind. Can't talk with a guy that argues with himself...

(flash, 4G, and uncapped data are all related to a better internet experience, plus I already mentioned the better camera and the fact that it's compatible with any tv that has a standard HDMI port).

I could talk about how email, calendar, and maps, are all better since Google makes the Android OS and also makes the best email, calendar, and maps services...

Can't talk with a guy that argues with himself...
There's some irony for ya.

(flash, 4G, and uncapped data are all related to a better internet experience, plus I already mentioned the better camera and the fact that it's compatible with any tv that has a standard HDMI port).

I could talk about how email, calendar, and maps, are all better since Google makes the Android OS and also makes the best email, calendar, and maps services...
Talk about arguing with yourself. Who said they were better? All I'm saying is I'm perfectly happy with them.

Talk about arguing with yourself. Who said they were better? All I'm saying is I'm perfectly happy with them.

Right. So was the guy who only drove a Malibu his entire life, even though the Cadillac was cheaper- and then went on to say he cared about the things the Cadillac was better at, but was still happy with his more expensive Malibu...

Right. So was the guy who only drove a Malibu his entire life, even though the Cadillac was cheaper- and then went on to say he cared about the things the Cadillac was better at, but was still happy with his more expensive Malibu...
You're a phone nerd and feel like your phone is the best and anyone who doesn't have what you have is in the Dark Ages. We get it.

(and you suck at analogies)

You're a phone nerd and feel like your phone is the best and anyone who doesn't have what you have is in the Dark Ages. We get it.

(and you suck at analogies)

Partly true. I'm a phone nerd and feel mine is the best, yes. But the analogy was spot on. I wouldn't say you're in the dark ages though. The iPhone is still a pretty good phone (it's not like you have a crappy flip phone or something). I'm just trying to talk to you as someone who appreciates a good smartphone- assuming that's why you bought an iPhone and pay the high price for it every month...

Last edited:
Partly true. I'm a phone nerd and feel mine is the best, yes. But the analogy was spot on. I wouldn't say you're in the dark ages though. The iPhone is still a pretty good phone (it's not like you have a crappy flip phone or something). I'm just trying to talk to you as someone who appreciates a good smartphone- assuming that's why you bought an iPhone and pay the high price for it every month...
And I can appreciate your nerdery on this issue. But you are saying iphone users are in the Dark Ages with that analogy and with other posts. So don't say you aren't when you are.

Sometimes the iphone has been the frontrunner and sometimes it's been other phones. But the gap between the #1 smartphone and the competition is never going to be that big no matter who is in front. There may be a gap for a few months but the competition always catches up. And that's great. That way there's no monopoly.

But again, I think it's pretty lame to call anyone who owns an iphone or any non-Salty phone for that matter to be in the Dark Ages or to be driving a Malibu or whatever else you want to call it. That's just snobbish dooshery but more importantly it's just not true.

And I can appreciate your nerdery on this issue. But you are saying iphone users are in the Dark Ages with that analogy and with other posts. So don't say you aren't when you are.

Sometimes the iphone has been the frontrunner and sometimes it's been other phones. But the gap between the #1 smartphone and the competition is never going to be that big no matter who is in front. There may be a gap for a few months but the competition always catches up. And that's great. That way there's no monopoly.

But again, I think it's pretty lame to call anyone who owns an iphone or any non-Salty phone for that matter to be in the Dark Ages or to be driving a Malibu or whatever else you want to call it. That's just snobbish dooshery but more importantly it's just not true.

Malibu's are decent cars, lol. It's not like I said you were driving a Gremlin or a Pinto or something like that.

Again, I'm not syaing iPhone users are in the dark ages. I'm just saying that some of the things you like about the iPhone are even better on other phones. And some things that you will eventually like about a future iPhone, are already available on other phones right now.

Now if you had some Jitterbug flip phone, or some Tracphone candy bar phone, then yeah, I'd say you were in the dark ages. But if you have an iPhone I assume you are at least aware and appreciative of the things smartphones can do. So while I am pretty sure not many people on this site are as into smartphones as me (but I know a few people are at least close, and maybe even just as much as me) I am not saying everyone is in the dark ages, lol.