What's new

You're the GM this offseason. What do you do?

Favors, Exum, and 2 firsts. Tomic, should they desire.

Chi-McBride-Oh-Hell-No.gif

Favors, Exum, and 2 firsts. Tomic, should they desire.

FOH we keeping Tomic.

I do agree with the general idea that we could get a stretch 4 on the cheap somewhere else easier than we could an elite pg. I just think you have to look at Tobias as your stretch four and second perimeter playmaker.

One Conley idea...

Brooklyn gets a future 2nd from Utah and Memphis
Memphis gets Crabbe, Korver, Brooklyn's 2020 1st, Utah's 2020 1st
Utah gets Conley

If we were to strike out in free agency, I would take Crabbe's expiring if it came with a pick or two. We need assets one way or the other. Crabbe's expiring and picks could be used at the deadline.

One Conley idea...

Brooklyn gets a future 2nd from Utah and Memphis
Memphis gets Crabbe, Korver, Brooklyn's 2020 1st, Utah's 2020 1st
Utah gets Conley

If we were to strike out in free agency, I would take Crabbe's expiring if it came with a pick or two. We need assets one way or the other. Crabbe's expiring and picks could be used at the deadline.
Ha, that's actually a pretty good trade idea. Seems like a win for everyone. I'd be surprised if Memphis could get a better offer than 2 1st round picks and an expiring contracts.

David Locke tears apart the Dlo Russell idea in his podcast with Tony Jones. He's incredibly inefficient. He's in the 13th percentile at finishing at the rim and never gets to the free throw line. He had a 98% usage rate last year. He thinks he wouldn't help the Jazz.

Starts at about the 27:30 mark https://www.lockedonjazz.net/jazz/l...-or-tobias-plus-kyle-korver-season-in-review/
He's right, and i don't like the idea of Russell either for the same reasons, but devil's advocate would point out he's 23, so far from a finished product, and has improved every year. TS% was 53%- not good. About the same as Mitchell. If he can get that to 56% 57%, we might have something.

Ha, that's actually a pretty good trade idea. Seems like a win for everyone. I'd be surprised if Memphis could get a better offer than 2 1st round picks and an expiring contracts.

Brooklyn could keep Russell and sign a max free agent
Memphis replaces Conley's $32 million with only $22 million in contracts and they get 2 1sts
Utah gets Conley for Korver, a 1st and cap space

I'm not really excited about Conley, but I could stomach it if it happens for a trade like this.

Brooklyn could keep Russell and sign a max free agent
Memphis replaces Conley's $32 million with only $22 million in contracts and they get 2 1sts
Utah gets Conley for Korver, a 1st and cap space

I'm not really excited about Conley, but I could stomach it if it happens for a trade like this.

If we were to guarantee everyone (including Favors) and renounce our three FA, we'd have about $13 Million in cap space. We could sign Jabari and then trade Favors+Korver+Niang and maybe another first for Conley. That could be a really good offseason for us.

The Royce, DM, Ingles, Crowder, Rudy lineup was a +21 per 100 possesions this year in 100+ minutes... sub Jae out and Tobias in... it's over.
This ^^^

As much as I LOVE Favors, it’s an imperfect fit. I’d try to keep him first (and move Exum instead) but the priority needs to be trying to convince Tobias Harris to come to the Jazz.

Not only does it give Utah a versatile forward (and a near All Star caliber offensive player to team with Rudy and Donovan) but it would also go a long way towards showing that Utah is a good place for free agents to consider down the road.

Mitchell, O’Neale, Jingles, Harris and Gobert is a great (young) starting lineup to work with. If Harris takes a jump with a stable situation and a bigger role and it could be something special.

Seems to me like most of these trade ideas have us trading mediocre players for other mediocre players! However, our mediocre plays know our system in and out.....come cheaper and are improving from year to year! Plus they want to stay in Utah and play for the Jazz! They are "comfortable" with our system and coaching staff and just need a few better shooters on the squad to make the next step toward the top!

My bold prediction: Harris will be re-signed by Philly. Lindsey will try like crazy to salvage his legacy by trading for Conley - and will fail. Zanik steps in and signs Jabari. If you can't build a champion, at least ensure a full arena and record-setting merchandise sales. Zanik continues to "win the press conference" by signing Jimmer to the room exception.

As for PG, the return of Shelvin Mack will be glorious to behold.

The one thing I learned/took away from the Jazz' playoff run this year is that the on/off or +/- numbers with lineups mean jack **** come playoff time and it's all about matchups, as the Jazz are too well coached and have enough talent to get by in the regular season regardless. Jazz had zero matchup advantages against Houston in the starting lineup (outside of maybe the Favors/Capela matchup when Gobert got benched) and got thoroughly outplayed for the most part. Same is true against the Warriors, and other teams like Portland have more favourable matchups against us too.

Don't really care what the numbers in the regular season say, if we're running Mitchell at point it's gotta be because we think it'll give us a matchup advantage come playoff time (note - I think it can assuming Mitchell improves over the offseason, not trying to say it can't). But it's why even though a guy like Favors is a better player than a guy like Exum, I'd be more inclined to keep Exum over Favors when talking about bringing in someone like Tobias or even a PG like Kemba/maybe DLo if the Kyrie rumours are to be believed or trade for Conley because the potential matchup advantages Exum has as a versatile combo guard who can guard the opposing teams best player vs Favors who is borderline unplayable against the elite teams in the West unless he gets to play C (which means benching our reigning DPOTY) matters, even though Favors is the better player and is far more reliable and productive than broken down Exum has been the last few years.

We just can't start a guy who gives the Jazz instant matchup problems against any of the real contenders in the West and we can't pay him $17 mil to be a backup to one of our max cornerstones either imo. Favors will absolutely stuff the stat sheet for like 20 - 25 NBA teams currently if he got to play C but the Jazz isn't one of them because we have an all star level/DPOTY level center. If the roster was already contending level then you can think about it but considering the Jazz have glaring holes at PG and PF, paying $17 mil to Favs just doesn't make sense to me and DL missed the boat to trade him.

OOOHHH, I thought you were emptying a colostomy bag of fire in a field.
It’s gonna be hilarious when Jazz fans realize no young African American with options is going to move to Utah.

If we can trade for Lowry or Conley, you do it IMO.

Why would that be hilarious? And why do you think that's true? We've had plenty of "African American" players sign with us before over the last 30 years. Why is it now different? That was a very strange statement.