What's new

You're the GM this offseason. What do you do?

Am I good friends with the owner? How many years have I been a GM? Do I have any rings prior to coming to UTAH? Have I been an NBA GM before? I need to know these things. It determines the amount of risk Im willing to take.

There isn't too much cap space out there.

The Knicks have 2 max slots so they are a possibility (Unless KD and Irving then that's out).
The Lakers could do it also but I feel they'd just trade him to NO for AD later or they would REALLY struggle trying to get AD in the next year so I think that's out.
The Clippers want Leonard so that's out.
The Mavericks maybe?
The kings? No
Pacers? Maybe with Victor if Kemba wants to stay on the east but they gotta pay up for some of their team currently.
Hawks? No
Nets? No

And that's about all the teams that can do a max straight up. There's very slim pickings for him to go anywhere honestly. I feel like the Jazz could give him the best option for him and his career.

As much as I like Rudy you can't build team around him as a major piece. He does not have post game or mid range game and does not look like he will ever develop it. His defense is of course great, but same was B. Wallace - and Detroit did not win championship until they had 3 more all stars complimenting him. Rudy should be what Capella is to Houston - defense, hustle, rebounds and dunks. We need legitimate threat at 1 and 4 positions before we will take that next step. Who can fill those? Of course we can dream about Kemba but it is not happening. No way he is coming here. Markannen would be awesome - again, not happening. So we are doomed for early playoff exits unfortunately. I do not know players who would be good enough to help us and as well would not mind playing here or realistically would be an option.

As much as I like Rudy you can't build team around him as a major piece. He does not have post game or mid range game and does not look like he will ever develop it. His defense is of course great, but same was B. Wallace - and Detroit did not win championship until they had 3 more all stars complimenting him. Rudy should be what Capella is to Houston - defense, hustle, rebounds and dunks. We need legitimate threat at 1 and 4 positions before we will take that next step. Who can fill those? Of course we can dream about Kemba but it is not happening. No way he is coming here. Markannen would be awesome - again, not happening. So we are doomed for early playoff exits unfortunately. I do not know players who would be good enough to help us and as well would not mind playing here or realistically would be an option.

The Pistons did not have three all-stars lol.

I believe the year after they won the chip. 04/05. I think it was a 60 win season for them. Flip Saunders as HC. 100% all 4 played in ASG.

Ok, it was 05/06. 64 win team under Saunders

Last edited:
Reactions: MVP
Try and sign Kemba right off the bat. If it doesn't look good then sign Patrick Beverley for a fraction of Kemba. Get a stretch-4 who is a consistent shooter. Sign a backup PG who isn't made of glass (a few of us like Caruso's game a lot).

Draft the best player available. Continue to develop Allen, Niang, Bradley and the gang. We need everyone on our roster to work hard and improve.

I expect to see Royce shock us with improvement. The past two seasons especially - people have envied us for having Ingles and I think Royce is somewhat close to being the envy of other teams' fans as well.

Andy Bailey wrote an article a couple of days ago about this topic. His idea is to trade for Gallinari and sign Patrick Beverley. I'm not sure how I feel about it, I don't hate it but I'm also not sure how much it would move the needle for us.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/andyba...t-of-true-contention-in-the-nba/#6f0dae5eaa0f

Yeah, I'd trade for either Gallo or Kevin Love. Jazz need another go to scorer so Mitchell doesn't have to chuck so much and Rubio or Jae don't have to pretend to be scorers. Otherwise the role players are in place.

I think i would work out about 80 little known prospects, trade both my draft picks, be patient with Free agents and hope for internal development.

That was just me being sarcastic. I couldn't do Lindsay's job when it was a tank job. No way I could swim in those waters now. I admire him, and wish him well.

Step 1 - trade 2019 1st for a better future 1st

Step 2 - offer all the max type guys contracts. Kemba, Tobias, Middleton, Russell, etc.

Step 3 - when we miss on those guys, go after Justise Winslow hard. Take back bad contracts (Olynyk and/or James Johnson) and send picks. Miami wants to spend crazy 2020 money.

Step 4 - when we miss on Winslow, go after Beverley. Sign him to a deal which allows us to keep Favors. If we can't get Beverley, look at Danny Green and JJ Reddick.

Step 5 - if we miss out on those guys, trade 2 2nd rounders and cap space for MKG and a future Charlotte protected 1st. The Hornets will likely keep Kemba but they will desperately need to shed salaries. If we can't get a good player with our cap space, at least get an average draft pick to use in a future deal.

Sent from my VS995 using JazzFanz mobile app

They are not in the tax if they max him out and let Lamb and Parker go. Next season Biyombo and MKG come off the books (30 mil combined) In 2 seasons Batum expires. Hornets salary situation isn't that grave.

So they are up against the tax... lose two key guys from a team that couldn’t make the playoffs... and that isn’t grave? It’s really effing bad and I’m not sure the extra money is worth it for Kemba to come back to a mediocre team that is getting worse.

Not saying he’s coming here though... I think NY, LAC, LAL would all be above us and likely other teams too.

harris kemba blake. if we can get anyone of them we become a contender

Sent from my iPhone using JazzFanz

The team just had 50 win season, but lacks legit scorers. I'd keep the team in tact but try to add a 20 ppg scorer for scrubs,

For instance: Exum, Allen , Bradley, this years draft pick plus Korver to a 3rd team for Kevin Love.

Rubio/Mitchell/Neto
Mitchell/O'Neale
Ingles/Crowder
Love/Crowder/Niang
Gobert/Favors

Trying to demolish a 50 win team that's not old and injured is dumb overreaction.
Expecting to add grade A max FA is a delusion
Playing 30+ mil to players like Middleton, Harris or Russell is too risky and they are not proven enough.

So they are up against the tax... lose two key guys from a team that couldn’t make the playoffs... and that isn’t grave? It’s really effing bad and I’m not sure the extra money is worth it for Kemba to come back to a mediocre team that is getting worse.

Not saying he’s coming here though... I think NY, LAC, LAL would all be above us and likely other teams too.

Kemba has been underpaid his whole career. If he values money above all and him and Hornets like each other than I see it as very plausible. And losing a guy like Lamb due to tax isn't that big in grand view of things. They are treadmill with Lamb or without him. If they have Kemba long term plus young guys like Miles, Monk plus a draft pick they can wait out the bad contracts providing Kemba does't whine after getting his payday.