What's new

You're the GM this offseason. What do you do?

They could go to other teams. But I do think 76ers would like Favors. They are over the cap and he is better than anyone else they could sign in FA assuming Tobias does not want to go there and wants a trade to the Jazz. I also think they wouldnt mind taking a chance on Exum as their backup to his friend Simmons.
I think the only thing that could make a S&T feasible is Philly wanting to save face for all the assets they traded to rent Harris. But I think they’d want real assets, like draft picks, in return, and not Dante Exum — they already had to dump Fultz.

Quote or it didn't happen. I think some media people said Utah might be the front runner if he didn't stay in Philly. But I think that was speculated based on Jazz offering max and his friendship with Donovan. I don't ever recall seeing a quote by him or even someone claiming he had said anything to that effect.

It’s really easy to say now because you’ll never be proven wrong.

For anyone who still wants to grasp to the .1% chance Harris comes here. Maybe the Jazz at least try to hail mary this or something lol

I think they both from NY... not sure that’s a Jazz thing.

Quote or it didn't happen. I think some media people said Utah might be the front runner if he didn't stay in Philly. But I think that was speculated based on Jazz offering max and his friendship with Donovan. I don't ever recall seeing a quote by him or even someone claiming he had said anything to that effect.

From Tony Jones' Q&A on The Athletic

Just so I can sleep at night and not have too much FOMO. If this trade had never happened, what would you have said the Jazz’s percentage odds were at landing D’Angelo Russel? Or Harris?
Very good for Harris. I would go far enough to say the Jazz were frontrunners for him. Less for Russell. I think the Pacers lead there. But the Jazz would have had a nice chance for him as well

So was the jazz the leader for Harris?
I think so

If grabbing Harris costs Favors and Exum, I’m pretty sure that’s a non-starter for the FO.

I’m not so sure. From what I’ve read they value Favors and Exum but if the right deal cane along...of anyone of the right deal it’s Harris.

I think the only thing that could make a S&T feasible is Philly wanting to save face for all the assets they traded to rent Harris. But I think they’d want real assets, like draft picks, in return, and not Dante Exum — they already had to dump Fultz.

Possibly they would want more but they would not have any negotiation power in this. Tobias Harris would be telling them I am not returning and would like to go to the Jazz. Will you facilitate a sign and trade and get assets or lose me for nothing?

Sign and trades rarely give up much. Maybe the Jazz give them a 2nd round pick for their "trouble."

Tony posted something about it a few days ago. Then the ringer podcast was talking about it after the Conley trade.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

From Tony Jones' Q&A on The Athletic

Just so I can sleep at night and not have too much FOMO. If this trade had never happened, what would you have said the Jazz’s percentage odds were at landing D’Angelo Russel? Or Harris?
Very good for Harris. I would go far enough to say the Jazz were frontrunners for him. Less for Russell. I think the Pacers lead there. But the Jazz would have had a nice chance for him as well

So was the jazz the leader for Harris?
I think so
Thanks. I knew he posted something about it.

Only way to get Harris is trade Joe, waive Favs, trade Exum, then you have enough space.

If we really want him we should hope he signs with Philly and Jimmy does too.

Meanwhile we sign 3 and D types with the cap space we clear by trading or waiving Favs... then at the trade deadline when they need depth pieces they trade him for those 3 and D types and Exum (if we can resurrect him long enough) and maybe one other small salary plus a pick or something.

Plus the Conley deal won't go down till July 6th. There will be possibilities to add to the trade and even possibly bring in more players.

They could go to other teams. But I do think 76ers would like Favors. They are over the cap and he is better than anyone else they could sign in FA assuming Tobias does not want to go there and wants a trade to the Jazz. I also think they wouldnt mind taking a chance on Exum as their backup to his friend Simmons.
I hope this happens. Ben and Dante on the same team wow. Dante just needs to get his jumper better and I can see a starting lineup with Ben and Dante as the starters. Butler as the 3. That team with the speed and athleticism would be incredible to watch. They would absolutely destroy teams defensively as well. Yes do that Dante get that jumper going and it's all over

I hope this happens. Ben and Dante on the same team wow. Dante just needs to get his jumper better and I can see a starting lineup with Ben and Dante as the starters. Butler as the 3. That team with the speed and athleticism would be incredible to watch. They would absolutely destroy teams defensively as well. Yes do that Dante get that jumper going and it's all over
Dante has the worst form and slowest shot of all the Jazz guards since Ronnie Brewer, Simmons makes Dante's shot look like Hornacek.

Could U imagine that happens Dante and favs goes to 76ers. Dante gets his jumper going. They play the jazz Dante and Ben with their size and athleticism. Conley and Donovan would definitely struggle against Ben and Dante in the backcourt. Ben and Dante way taller than both also lots faster. They would smother Conley and Donovan. And then Dante will improve his jumper it's all over

Tony posted something about it a few days ago. Then the ringer podcast was talking about it after the Conley trade.

All of it just Tony's opinion. Nowhere does he say even "according to sources." "I think so" is a far cry from saying, "yes, my sources told me the Jazz were the front runner for Tobias."

Philly can offer more. Jazz were among several teams that could offer him a max. The drop-off from Conley to the best available free agent PG is far greater than the drop-off from Harris to Favors, especially when you also factor in Derrick's mins at the 5. And that's ASSUMING that Harris would have agreed to sign with Utah.

Last edited:
All of it just Tony's opinion. Nowhere does he say even "according to sources." Tobias has never said anything to that effect.
Free agents never say tweet saying it, or say it in an interview until they sign. Not even Lebron. Tobias has been a fan of Snyder for a long time, plus being buddy with Donnovan helps that much more, It's not a secret.