What's new

You're the GM this offseason. What do you do?

IDK why everyone has such a problem with "tampering." Agents are allowed to look around and talk to execs on behalf of their clients. I'm sure Utah has talked to Portis/Bojan/Thad's agents and asked what their interest level is. If one of their agents said "we are 100% signing" you would see one of these reporters saying something like "Bojan is planning on signing a 3 year deal with the Utah Jazz at 9PM on Sunday." Magic just got fined because he's an idiot and tampered on a late night show watched by millions of people. NBA fans know that everyone "tampers" but once the general public sees it, that's when the commish will step in.

Right. That doesn't answer the question though. Are the Jazz able to trade Favors between noon and midnight on the 6th to a team that immediately waives him before his contract is guaranteed?

That is, do the Jazz have to make a decision on Favors before or after free agency starts?
No. Favors' value in a trade is $0. That loophole was closed. Only the guaranteed value in a player's contract counts in a trade. Jazz would have to pick up his option in order to trade him.

Why wouldn't they? Silver hasn't done anything to stop it, except for fining Magic Johnson some pocket change when he egregiously broke the rules mid season. Silver mistakenly equates Woj Bombs as a success, so despite the rules stating otherwise Twitter knows the draft picks before Silver announces them.

Stern ran the league in his day. Now Silver lets the big money run the league for him and buys the "governors" silence.
I was being sarcastic

I want starters playing with the starters. Bojan would be awesome. I’m not so sure Thad or Portis are starters and seeing them in the starting lineup doesn’t really get me that excited. I realize there are economics and relationships at play here.

No. Favors' value in a trade is $0. That loophole was closed. Only the guaranteed value in a player's contract counts in a trade. Jazz would have to pick up his option in order to trade him.
Not that I disagree; can only sorta find that in Larry Coon's CBA FAQ. Do you have a link?

Not that I disagree; can only sorta find that in Larry Coon's CBA FAQ. Do you have a link?
That's what I was using. Why do you say you can only "sorta find that?" It seemed pretty clear to me...only the guaranteed part of his contract counts. It's zero, until the Jazz exercise the TO. I guess he can be traded for something else that equals zero.

That's what I was using. Why do you say you can only "sorta find that?" It seemed pretty clear to me...only the guaranteed part of his contract counts. It's zero, until the Jazz exercise the TO. I guess he can be traded for something else that equals zero.
Where is it on the page...(I'm lazy)?

NVM, think I found it...

Well that ****s up all my fantasies.

You're slipping, GVC. Generally you're the expert on the CBA,
Maybe I used to be--didn't keep up with the 2017 changes. ****, I barely watched the Jazz this year (Go Sharks!).

Still, if there are teams interested in Favors at his current number, the 4-teamer with Memphis, Indiana and Utah makes sense (with a fourth team taking scraps+ from Indiana).

He played 4 minutes in this lineup .K. Korver, .R. Rubio, .R. Gobert, .J. Ingles, .R. O'Neale. off rating 75 def rating 31
He played 1 min in this lineup .K. Korver, .E. Udoh, .J. Crowder, .D. Exum, .J. Ingles off rating 122 def rating 50
He played 8 min in this lineup .R. Rubio, .A. Burks, .R. Gobert, .J. Ingles, .G. Niang off rating 138 def rating 131
He played 1 min in this lineup .K. Korver, .D. Favors, .J. Ingles, .R. O'Neale, .D. Mitchell off rating 100 def rating 200
He played 22 min in this lineup .R. Rubio, .R. Gobert, .J. Ingles, .R. O'Neale, .D. Mitchell off rating 139 def rating 78. This was across 14 games though.
He played 11 min in this lineup K. Korver, .D. Favors, .R. Neto, .J. Ingles, .R. O'Neale off rating 80 def rating 88

Some of those he might not have been playing PF Royce could have been. But either way none of those are enough to draw any conclusions from. They are wayyyy too small of sample size. I think its pretty bad to try and make claims about anything with Ingles at the 4 based on stats.

I cant find reliable data on how much he played PF. Basketball reference claims he played 66% of his time at PF. But I know that is not true, as does anyone who watched the Jazz this year.
Good post, thanks

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app

Forgive my complete ignorance, but could we somehow make this three-way work with sign and trades or some voodoo?:

Utah gets: Bogdonavic, Harris
Indiana gets: Rubio, Ingles, MLE
Memphis gets: Exum added to deal
Favors is waived.

Jazz clear 17, 12, 11 and MLE (9?) in space
= 49 million
= 18 for Bogdonavic, 31 for Tobias

Lineup:

Conley, Palacio
Mitchell, Giricek
Bogdonavic, Handlogten
Harris, Gilliam