What's new

Yuck yuck yuck

So unfortunate and really disappointing people feel comfortable making such heinous comments. Ugh.

I think it's driven by the homogeneity of Utah. People aren't around diversity enough. Until there is more diversity in the state, **** like this will continue to happen.
IMO the highly diverse metro areas can be just as bad as anywhere else.

We have a problem with people just being plain jerks and not caring for anyone or anybody. Like you said who can comfortably say hurtful (especially racist) things to the face of another person? I don't see it changing however, not with the constant **** we are fed these days through social media, movies, tv shows, music... its poison plain and simple. Common sense and decency is flying out the window more and more everyday.

It was those stone drunk Mormons that did this. . .
This seems like a dodge to absolve Mormonism.

It could be that "active" Mormons aren't the ones getting drunk and spewing racism in this particular case (though we don't know for sure, of course). But there's little doubt that the history of Mormon racist attitudes contributes to what many people (whether they're active Mormons, non-active Mormons, non-Mormons or whatnot) feel is acceptable racially within the state. There's decades of attitudes built up there. These change slowly, unfortunately (faster among some than others, of course). It's not something where a switch was just flipped within Mormonism and now the history of these racist feelings and attitudes don't matter anymore. That's not how culture works.

To my mind, and as LDS myself, Mormons should try to be at the forefront of anti-racist efforts in the state, since a significant (not the only, of course) element of Utah racism derives from the church's historical influence, an influence that helped lead people in Utah to think not only that racist attitudes are OK (or at least can be overlooked) but also that this racism is part of "who we are." So to me, it's our problem to a significant extent. We need to own it and do what we can to rid our local community of it.

Huh, I heard other players complain about racist remarks in Boston. That must be in a Trump state too.

But awesome job injecting politics into this.
Trump absolutely emboldened and portrayed this behavior in many ways. We’re not side tracking this thread, but yeah, conservatives want to ignore racial issues and pretend they aren’t an issue while pandering to the worst racist wings of their party. The most recent example: the critical race theory thing that most conservatives can’t even accurately define.

Hard not to inject politics into this when there's obvious steps for reform, such as educating our children on the realities of racism, and our legislature strikes even stuff like that down.
What about the hateful and disgusting things kids are exposed through everyday by s***** parents letting them have smart phones and free range of the internet? It's starts at home, 100 percent. You think trying to inject kids with ideology at school is going to help when they can just go home and watch some garbage on ticktok after?

Trump absolutely emboldened and portrayed this behavior in many ways. We’re not side tracking this thread, but yeah, conservatives want to ignore racial issues and pretend they aren’t an issue while pandering to the worst racist wings of their party. The most recent example: the critical race theory thing that most conservatives can’t even accurately define.
Because people who hate Trump are so loving and tolerant of everyone else also. :rolleyes:

Trump absolutely emboldened and portrayed this behavior in many ways.
Agreed, but to just casually dismiss something as "golly gee, it's a Trump state, shocking" is odd, when this behavior happens in other states that didn't vote for the guy. It's a much bigger issue that will take generations to overcome, if it's an issue that can be overcome at all.

And I say this as someone who is hardly a fan of the man.

What about the hateful and disgusting things kids are exposed through everyday by s***** parents letting them have smart phones and free range of the internet? It's starts at home, 100 percent. You think trying to inject kids with ideology at school is going to help when they can just go home and watch some garbage on ticktok after?
"What about" is a really lame excuse for inaction.

Agreed, but to just casually dismiss something as "golly gee, it's a Trump state, shocking" is odd, when this behavior happens in other states that didn't vote for the guy. It's a much bigger issue that will take generations to overcome, if it's an issue that can be overcome at all.

Exactly. The fact that this thread is about to go on a left vs right rollercoaster shows how far people are gone and brainwashed.

Good hell.

Point out that our legislature is taking the opposite steps to address the obvious issue of racism in our state, and get told that I'm brainwashed and making it left vs right.

I wish politics weren't relevant in this, but when the lawmakers are pandering to the racists and fighting against any sort of meaningful change, well, it's kind of difficult not to bring it up in this discussion.

"What about" is a really lame excuse for inaction.
Maybe read after those two words? Your response sounds like a lame excuse not to agree but deflect and one up. Just like I was saying, this world is all about "I am better than you" attitude.

Maybe read after those two words? Your response sounds like a lame excuse not to agree but deflect and one up. Just like I was saying, this world is all about "I am better than you" attitude.
I'm sorry, are you looking for a fight, or honest discussion?

I'm not interested in the former.

Because people who hate Trump are so loving and tolerant of everyone else also. :rolleyes:
People who hate Trump hate him because he's a self aggrandizing racist pile of ****. Much different that hating someone for their skin color. Conservatives just cant get it through there head. THERE IS A REASON YOU ARE SEEN AS THE RACIST PARTY AND MINORITIES DON'T SUPPORT YOU. They take every step they can to protect racism or diminish its existence. Guess what? It exists. And thinking stupid *** things like banning critical race theory which is studying how racism has impacted our society still to this day, prove how protective of it they are. The dude who introduced the resolution in our legislature literally admitted he didn't actually know what it was, and he couldn't define CRT but he had gotten pressure from the ultra right win morons to address it.

It is a human problem. I do not think there is an active movement to preach hate against African Americans in Utah....but it is a function of being comfortable and not liking or not used to.scenarios outside your comfort zone. Some escalate and attach all big problems to it.

Hey, it could start by conservatives stop trying to ban the accurate and ugly teaching of this country because it's uncomfortable. If a black child can experience racism, your kids can learn about it. Trump just outwardly portrays what most conservative politicans quietly stand for. Imagine a party who sold their soul to Trump and thinks Mitt Romney is bad because he wants to hold bad behavior accountable. Mitt got booed at the recent GOP convention. That is conservatism now. Trump infected the party and grew its ugliest parts.

Frankly there are ****** people everywhere. And they aren't limited to only white republican Trump supporters. Believe it or not there are ****** people of every race, creed, color, religion, political party, etc. Get a big enough group together and a certain percentage are inevitably going to be pieces of ****.

My daughter tries to be very active in social causes. She came out as bi, then as pan and currently has a boyfriend and a girlfriend. Last year she spent a lot of time at BLM rallies. At one of them she was accosted by a group of young black women, who called her and her friends fake white trash bitches and told them to go back where they came from, that they weren't welcome. It was worse than that, the c-word was involved, they took my daughter's friends signs from them, and threatened them with violence. But a group that had been next to my daughter's group the whole time, also all black people, stepped in and put those other girls in their place, told my daughter and her friends of course they are welcome and that they were appreciated.

In any group there are going to be good decent people and ****** people. It kind of comes back to the comment attributed to Edmund Burke "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

So really it's up to those of us who are decent people to stand up to those ****** people and not accept their crap and make sure they're held accountable. Otherwise we're part of the problem.

Uhh, the guy wasn't spitting on Trae Young, he was spitting on 50 Cent. Have you heard any of his new music?

Fan was spitting on 50, Trae Young just happened to be near 50.

View attachment 10691
Uhh, the guy wasn't spitting on Trae Young, he was spitting on 50 Cent. Have you heard any of his new music?

Fan was spitting on 50, Trae Young just happened to be near 50.

View attachment 10691
Excuse excuse me haha sorry your fans spit on other fans because they don’t like their music. I think this might be worse actually.