What's new

2019-20 Utah Jazz Roster

str8line

Contributor
2019 Award Winner
We are most likely going to have a big change in our roster next season. Who will be gone? And who is your top pick for either trade or free agent pickup?

My list of realistic targets via trade or free agency:

Porter Jr - attainable and a PF upgrade

Mirotic - very small chance

Beal - would take a ton, but we could try

Olynyk - great bench big who can shoot

Rozier - risky, but good defender who can streaky score

Wes Matthews - seems like a last ditch effort

Winslow - all round game. Still young

Hardaway - maybe available, scorer

Nklitina - I still have faith in him

Dinwiddie - doubtful but worth a shot

Randle - bulldog mentality. Can score

Lamb - not exciting but decent

Ariza - stopgap but great short term

Saric - if Minny ever makes him available

If you dissect this list, you will see that the best targets are via trade. Otherwise, its lower level free agent types. Plain and simple, we need to trade.

Sent from my VS995 using JazzFanz mobile app

Hardaway + Matthews + Randle + Ariza = upgrades over Neto, Burks, Udoh & Thabo

That's what you call a super team. Quin could bake it

Based off where things are at right now, the two guys most Jazz fans had pegged I think have officially become pipe dreams. We aren't getting Middleton or Tobias Harris. They won't want to leave their current teams to come to the Jazz.

I think Tim Hardaway and Spencer Dinwiddie are both real possibilities now. I also think we desperately need a stretch 4 in some way. Bjelica was the perfect guy. Great outside shooter with a cheap contract. Who could be come that guy now? I'm not sure. Marcus Morris maybe? Kelly Olynyk? I think Otto Porter is a realistic candidate via trade due to his massive contract.

Kemba and Porter. Not sure it’s even monetarily possible. But **** it.

Kemba
Mitchell
Ingles
Porter
Gobert

That’s a pretty sick starting five.

Dump everyone but Mitchell, Ingles, Gobert, Royce (super cheap)...and Crowder too if we can monetarily manage it. Maybe Niang too since he’s so cheap and can shoot.

Last edited:
The more I think about it the more I love the Terry Rozier idea. As long as he keeps sitting the bench in Boston behind Irving, his price tag is coming down and he's more eager to get a starting role somewhere. He's a Louisville guy with Mitchell and they have a friendship. I think he's a realistic guy the Jazz could land without having to overpay for and would like a back court of Rozier & Mitchell next year. That would also preserve cap space to add another max guy like Otto Porter or whoever.

As time goes on it's even becoming more likely that Boston may do a trade for him this year. It's not a secret he's upset about limited minutes. It may cause locker room problems as time goes on.

Here's a sample of what our cap space could look like next season if we traded for Porter this year and then signed Rozier in the offseason. We'd still have roughly $6 million remaining for filler pieces plus exception type deals and veteran's minimum slots.

C) Rudy Gobert
F) Otto Porter
F) Joe Ingles
G) Donovan Mitchell
G) Terry Rozier

Capture.JPG

Now if he could somehow get NY to trade Hardaway for expiring deals and our draft pick, then we'd really look good salary cap wise. We could add in Hardaway and still have a lot of space.
Capture1.JPG

Dreaming o realistic ?
The Jazz have a 'major affinity' (forgive me if that's not the exact wording) for him, according to Tony Jones. This was stated during a discussion with Sam Vecenie about hypothetical Jazz moves the other day on the Game Theory podcast. Tony doesn't like to speculate, so that means there's at least a solid effort there.

The Jazz have a 'major affinity' (forgive me if that's not the exact wording) for him, according to Tony Jones. This was stated during a discussion with Sam Vecenie about hypothetical Jazz moves the other day on the Game Theory podcast. Tony doesn't like to speculate, so that means there's at least a solid effort there.

I have a "major affinity" for Margot Robbie, but much like the Jazz for Middleton, I don't have a chance.

margot_robbie_hot_hairstyle_wallpaper_hd.jpg

I have a "major affinity" for Margot Robbie, but much like the Jazz for Middleton, I don't have a chance.

margot_robbie_hot_hairstyle_wallpaper_hd.jpg
You don't know that. Try not to get deluded by your love of speculating. Sometimes you actually convince yourself you know the things you're fantasizing about.

If I look at free agents available next year team by team I see those which would be realistically possible. Atlanta - K.Bazemore only. Boston - do not see any which would want to play for Jazz unless Rozier would be that one... but he is restricted so it is kind of gamble. Morris is available but he is a giant douchebag so I do not want himon the Jazz. Nets - Dinwiddie easily, maybe Crabbe? Charlotte - Kemba is a dream scenario but quite unlikely. Bulls - nothing good there. Cleveland - same, Dallas - Matthews would be nice to bring home, Denver - nothing, Detroit - Smith and Bullock are decent players and should not cost a lot. GSW - Thompson of course but not happening., Rockets - Nothing, Pacers have tons of free agents, pick any you want they would do great here - Evans, Collison, Bogdanovic,Joseph. Depending how they will do this year they may want to keep their core but some of them will for sure be available. Clipper - Harris, Scott, Beverly. Memphis - Temple, Caspi?, Miami - Ellington,Dragic, Johnson, Bucks - Middleton, Meeks. Wolves - nothing. Pelicans - Mirotic, Clark? Knicks - Hezonja. OKC - nothing. Magic - Vucevic? Ross?. 76ers - Redick, Muscala. Suns - Ariza. Blazers - Stauskas?. Kings - Shumpert?. Spurs - nothing. Raptors - Green? Kawhi? ( pipe dream of course), Wizards - Satoransky, Meeks?

Slim pickings to be honest unless you score those big names..

You don't know that. Try not to get deluded by your love of speculating. Sometimes you actually convince yourself you know the things you're fantasizing about.

If we used your logic, we wouldn't trade for or sign anybody because we have a remote chance at Kevin Durant.

Middleton is with a contender for the Eastern Conference. They can pay him millions more than any other team. If he does decide to leave, he's going to leave for less money to come to a middle of the road Western Conference team so he can share minutes at the 2 and 3 with Ingles and Mitchell?

If we used your logic, we wouldn't trade for or sign anybody because we have a remote chance at Kevin Durant.

Middleton is with a contender for the Eastern Conference. They can pay him millions more than any other team. If he does decide to leave, he's going to leave for less money to come to a middle of the road Western Conference team so he can share minutes at the 2 and 3 with Ingles and Mitchell?
There are firm reports the Jazz are planning to pursue Middleton. Don't act like I'm just spitballing nonsense.

To tickle your trade speculation interests, what if Milwaukee decides it's a safer play to pull in Beal with two years left after this one? He would also be cheaper next year. The Jazz have a lot of flexibility with cap space and expirings. What if there's ab avenue where the Jazz can scoop Middleton by helping to facilitate Beal to the Bucks? I haven't looked into it, so it's a very open question.

There are firm reports the Jazz are planning to pursue Middleton. Don't act like I'm just spitballing nonsense.

That's fine... what has to happen for Middleton to sign here?

- He either has to pass on the addition $50M Milwaukee can offer or they have to decline to offer it (Giannis is a free agent... can't lose his second fiddle).
- He has to bypass more desirable markets that have cap space and good competitive situations both LA teams and Dallas probably fit this bill.
- He would also likely be on the radar of big market eastern conference teams like NY and BKN. Could definitely argue we are a better situation for him and he doesn't seem like that is what he'd want.

So will we pursue? Sure. Are we a pretty big long shot? Yup. If Milwaukee ponies up the 5 year max or close to it I am not even sure we get a meeting.

To tickle your trade speculation interests, what if Milwaukee decides it's a safer play to pull in Beal with two years left after this one? He would also be cheaper next year. The Jazz have a lot of flexibility with cap space and expirings. What if there's ab avenue where the Jazz can scoop Middleton by helping to facilitate Beal to the Bucks? I haven't looked into it, so it's a very open question.

The Bucks seem very, very happy with Middleton and vice versa. They can give him $190 million this summer whereas anybody else could only give $140 million. I just don't see how he walks from the extra money, the easier conference, Giannis and Coach Budenholzer. http://www.sportingnews.com/us/nba/...eal-buzz-change-him/58p2ws8ix0n61pukhcan5ae3h

even putting all the effort in the world I do not understand why Middleton should prefer us to Bucks or for example Lakers..però everything can happen ..