What's new

2019 Trade Deadline Discussion

if i'm Utah I think I try to make a play to contend this season before LA brings in every ****ing free agent available-- I think Golden State is shaky (Cousins looks slow on defence, Draymond and Klay have had bizarre years, and their core might break up this season), LA isn't a threat rn, neither is Houston, and frankly neither is OKC.

Honestly, if Harris is attainable for Rubio and a protected first, or Favors and a protected first, you gotta do it.
IMO Harris is 100% a guy we could get.

Lol. Hate to be the one to break the bad news to you, but Rubio is suiting up for this one.

I wouldn’t trade Mitchell or Gobert. They are studs and want to be here.
Firstly Anthony Davis is way better than both of them. Now I'm not a fan of rubio. But I feel sorry for him to comeback now against these teams. He should sack his agent for poor advice. It's his contract year if they lose everyone will say it's cause of Rubio. He shouldn't play the next 3 games. Let the players who played against bad teams play these good teams.

IMO Harris is 100% a guy we could get.
Maybe if the Clippers continue their huge skid. Making the playoffs and showing they are a competent organization capable of winning is a pretty big deal if their goal is too attract max free agents. Plus having Harris as a safety net if they can't is a pretty nice fall-back.

I assume you're referring to my post.

I have perspective. I said they were playing terribly earlier in the season. Which is undeniable fact. .

I’m here to deny your undeniable fact.

The suns are terrible. The cavs are terrible. The jazz were, on average, mediocre at worst.

But I feel sorry for him to comeback now against these teams. He should sack his agent for poor advice. It's his contract year if they lose everyone will say it's cause of Rubio. He shouldn't play the next 3 games. Let the players who played against bad teams play these good teams.

We love Rubio because he would never pull this amateurish ********. It’s a selfish move that guys like boozer would pull. And anyone who blames Rubio when the schedule hits an inflection point is an idiot fan and not a serious basketball analyst.

if we get Tobias, he's more of an upgrade over Ingles than Favs. Ingles' best role should be as the ball handler on the 2nd unit. both him and korver honestly shouldn't be playing more than 25mpg given their age and fitness

if we get Tobias, he's more of an upgrade over Ingles than Favs. Ingles' best role should be as the ball handler on the 2nd unit. both him and korver honestly shouldn't be playing more than 25mpg given their age and fitness

This is a bad take. What is the one thing this team has needed for years now, that has been discussed ad nauseum? A stretch 4! Harris would be perfect in that role on this team. Also, the only way we could even afford Harris in free agency is by letting Favors go and more than likely the only way we could acquire him in a trade would be by trading Favors (it's unlikely the Clippers will trade him though).

Last edited:
https://bleacherreport.com/articles...ts-for-nbas-top-trade-deadline-targets#slide5

1. Love is a natural target for the Jazz, whom Sam Amico of Amico Hoops mentioned as a potential Love suitor back in October.

Utah, which ranks 20th in three-point percentage, needs more snipers. Love drilled 137 long-balls at a 41.5 percent clip last season. The Jazz need another scorer to ease the burden on Mitchell, who's set to become just the fifth qualified second-year player with a usage percentage north of 30. Love is averaging 18.3 points per game for his career and has booked All-Star trips as a primary scorer, sidekick and third wheel.

Assuming there's a Derrick Favors-focused offer Cleveland would accept—Love's trade value is...shall we say...not great—Utah might help Love as much as he'd assist it.

"Putting Love next to Rudy Gobert in Favors' place would give the Jazz a new scoring dimension without losing the rebounding Favors provided," The Ringer's Haley O'Shaughnessy wrote in June. "Being reunited with Ricky Rubio would mean Love would get the ball more often, and being paired in the same offense as Donovan Mitchell would lead to a lot of open shots."

With rangy defenders in front of him and Gobert manning the middle, Love's defensive limitations might be less harmful in Utah. The same could be true of his massive contract, since the Jazz aren't likely to add a player of his caliber through free agency. Oh, and the Park City superfan might even consider Salt Lake City a desired destination.

I still say no

https://bleacherreport.com/articles...ts-for-nbas-top-trade-deadline-targets#slide5

1. Love is a natural target for the Jazz, whom Sam Amico of Amico Hoops mentioned as a potential Love suitor back in October.

Utah, which ranks 20th in three-point percentage, needs more snipers. Love drilled 137 long-balls at a 41.5 percent clip last season. The Jazz need another scorer to ease the burden on Mitchell, who's set to become just the fifth qualified second-year player with a usage percentage north of 30. Love is averaging 18.3 points per game for his career and has booked All-Star trips as a primary scorer, sidekick and third wheel.

Assuming there's a Derrick Favors-focused offer Cleveland would accept—Love's trade value is...shall we say...not great—Utah might help Love as much as he'd assist it.

"Putting Love next to Rudy Gobert in Favors' place would give the Jazz a new scoring dimension without losing the rebounding Favors provided," The Ringer's Haley O'Shaughnessy wrote in June. "Being reunited with Ricky Rubio would mean Love would get the ball more often, and being paired in the same offense as Donovan Mitchell would lead to a lot of open shots."

With rangy defenders in front of him and Gobert manning the middle, Love's defensive limitations might be less harmful in Utah. The same could be true of his massive contract, since the Jazz aren't likely to add a player of his caliber through free agency. Oh, and the Park City superfan might even consider Salt Lake City a desired destination.

I still say no

How many firsts do we get in the deal?

Kidding but let’s just say nah and move on.

How many firsts do we get in the deal?

Kidding but let’s just say nah and move on.

Hypothetically, we could trade Favors and Neto and it works financially. I would imagine that we would want to send Favors to a third team since Cleveland really has no use for him. That third team would give the assets to Cleveland.

If Love is healthy, he does help us win more games over Favors. I'm pretty confident in saying that. If you are talking about this year and next, I think Love at $26 on average helps us more than Favors at $17. However, Love's contract from 2020-2023 (3 years averaging around $30) is just brutal.

Hypothetically, we could trade Favors and Neto and it works financially. I would imagine that we would want to send Favors to a third team since Cleveland really has no use for him. That third team would give the assets to Cleveland.

If Love is healthy, he does help us win more games over Favors. I'm pretty confident in saying that. If you are talking about this year and next, I think Love at $26 on average helps us more than Favors at $17. However, Love's contract from 2020-2023 (3 years averaging around $30) is just brutal.

They get no assets... none. Love has the worst contract in the nba.

Only way I’d do it is if there was a third team sending some ****** contracts and draft picks... Cleveland can have the ****** (but less ****** than loves) contract and we get the draft assets.

Loves contract was bad before he got hurt... now he sustains a foot injury and when he was playing he was not great. They don’t get a premium when trading that deal... they have to give something to make it happen.

So say Charlotte says give us favs and Cleveland takes biyombo and we get charlottes first round pick. We at least get a lottery scratcher to go with the potential millstone we took.

Btw... loves deal is 4/120... after this year. It is baddddddd.

They get no assets... none. Love has the worst contract in the nba.

Only way I’d do it is if there was a third team sending some ****** contracts and draft picks... Cleveland can have the ****** (but less ****** than loves) contract and we get the draft assets.

Loves contract was bad before he got hurt... now he sustains a foot injury and when he was playing he was not great. They don’t get a premium when trading that deal... they have to give something to make it happen.

So say Charlotte says give us favs and Cleveland takes biyombo and we get charlottes first round pick. We at least get a lottery scratcher to go with the potential millstone we took.

I could possibly get on board with that. So...

Cleveland gets Biyombo, Bradley and Utah's 2019 2nd
Charlotte gets Favors and Neto
Jazz get Love and top 10 protected pick from Charlotte
http://tradenba.com/trades/BJizz2VmV

Seems pretty fair although I hate the contract.

If Love can get to 100%, he would seem to fit us pretty well. I just hate that contract. Shave that last year and we got a deal.

Love is exactly what the Jazz need next to Gobert. It's just money. We're paying Ingles somewhere around 15 and he's extremely limited athletically, and is sometimes completely ineffective if the other team knows how to play him but is probably still worth the money because of the system. Love is a rebounding and scoring machine. I even believe he could be taught to play passable defense. Love's creativity on offense has not been on display for a few years because of Lebron, but the man can score and do it in a variety of ways and do it efficiently. Favors is getting paid over 9K a minute, which is absurd. He's a better player than that, but isn't ever going to be a great fit next to Gobert. For our system Love is worth the extra millions over Favors. It really is that simple.

I'm on the no bandwagon because of Love's contract. It could sink the franchise and it locks us in as Love being the only option as the third guy with Mitchell and Gobert. There are a lot of things to like from a basketball standpoint immediately, but that contract kills us in a couple years.

However, in the hypothetical that we did move for him, I suppose I'd have to support it because of what it would indicate. DL is the ultimate optimist and has a great deal of patience, whether that's waiting out our roster and guys that are under performing, or thinking there's something better on the horizon (i.e. not moving last year's pick for something good). So if he has reached the point where he's willing to move for Love's contract, I'd have to conclude it's because he does not see the landscape working in our favor for landing someone of that caliber through other means. And if Lindsey is that pessimistic about our odds of finding a third guy in another fashion, then we know the cap hit we take with Love isn't actually preventing something else from being in its place.

And, yes, having Love would make things easier this summer and just allow us to run it back with Ricky both because he already has chemistry with Love and the fact that putting Love in the starting lineup makes Ricky's shooting less of an issue.

And DL likes trading with Cleveland.

So, while I'm out on Love, should a deal happen, I realize it's probably because that's what's best.

Let's just breakdown the contracts over the upcoming seasons.

This season - it's not a big deal. We can trade Favors along with one of Thabo, Udoh, Neto/Bradley, Neto/Niang, Bradley/Niang.

Next season, I also don't think it's that big of a deal. Gobert, Mitchell, Korver, Crowder, O'Neale, Grayson, Exum, Ingles, Bradley, Niang are all under contract for next year. If we wanted to keep Rubio, Thabo or Udoh, we could since we have their rights.

2020-21 is when it gets interesting. We would need to re-sign Crowder, Korver and O'Neale (restricted free agent) while also having options for Grayson, Bradley, Niang. We could sign Mitchell to an extension, but I'm pretty sure he would be in his last cheap year.

2021-22 we are needing to re-sign Gobert, Exum and Ingles while Mitchell's first big contract hits the books. This is the first year the contract could really get in the way of keeping everything together.

2022-23 the contract is expiring at this point which maybe means it could be waived and stretched if we desperately had to. Or we can try to trade his large expiring.