What's new

2019 Trade Deadline Discussion

He said he was super high on Utah and picked them as the #2 team in the west, and he said they need another ballhandler/playmaker to get there.
Did he say how we were supposed to do that? What assets do we give up?

In free agency, we didn't try. In the opening minutes of free agency, we met with Favors and then overpaid him. Since we picked up Thabo's option about the same time, we were capped out. We had Exum's Bird rights so we kept him.

At the end of the day, we swapped Stockton for Grayson and Jerekbo for Niang. We didn't sign a single player in free agency despite being one of the only teams in all of free agency with cap space.

This summer, a ton of teams will have cap space but also, half the NBA is a free agent this summer. If we wait for summer, almost all signs point to Rubio and Favors staying. We are that loyal.

So yes, I think we need to decide on Favors vs Rubio by the deadline. If not, expect more of the same next year.

Sent from my VS995 using JazzFanz mobile app

First off, my point is we have no idea who the Jazz called and pursued. Again, they could have been one of the most aggressive teams out there. Just because transactions don't happen doesn't mean they didn't try to make them happen.

I can't remember specific numbers but in order for the Jazz to have meaningful cap space they would have had to get off most of the roster. The same roster that was one of the best teams in the NBA to finish last season. People throw the word mediocrity around but last years Jazz team, and I believe this years as well, has proven anything but mediocre.

This is a complete opposite situation in these next two upcoming offseasons as the Jazz can easily get to max level cap space while Donovan is on his rookie deal. There's a reason the Jazz offered Favors the deal they did, high-number, two years, team-controlled second-year. Jazz are doing everything they can to leave cap to at least give themselves a chance to acquire that third star. Taking on middling players and bad money that eats into their cap space the next two offseasons is really counter intuitive.

There is no reason to think that by not trading Derrick or Ricky that they are guaranteed to come back. Faves guarantee date is AFTER the moratorium, and Rubio as we all know is FA.

Did he say how we were supposed to do that? What assets do we give up?

it wouldnt take a lot to get Porter Jr because the Wiz are a little desperate to dump his salary. Porter is at 26 mil so that is what the Jazz would need to come up with the get him.

Favors + Exum would work for Porter Jr and one of Oubre, Green, Satoransky or even Dekker (What a disappointment he has been)

If we really wanted to swing for the fences, we trade Rubio, Thabo, Udoh and 2nd rounders for Porter. Then use a trade exception to trade our 2019 1st rounder for Rozier.

If we did this, we would be able to keep Rozier, Porter AND Favors for this year and next. Our depth would be unreal for a playoff run this year.

We could start Rozier or bring him off the bench and start Korver or O'Neale. Just imagine a bench which is Favors, Crowder, Exum, Korver, O'Neale. Incredible depth.

Over his last 10 games Porter is averaging 15 points, 8 boards, 2.5 assists, 2 steals, shooting 53.5% and 38% from 3.

If we really wanted to swing for the fences, we trade Rubio, Thabo, Udoh and 2nd rounders for Porter. Then use a trade exception to trade our 2019 1st rounder for Rozier.

If we did this, we would be able to keep Rozier, Porter AND Favors for this year and next. Our depth would be unreal for a playoff run this year.

We could start Rozier or bring him off the bench and start Korver or O'Neale. Just imagine a bench which is Favors, Crowder, Exum, Korver, O'Neale. Incredible depth.

I just want Utah to swing for the fences, even if it blows up in our face, just swing and see what happens. Internal growth alone will not get it done.

it wouldnt take a lot to get Porter Jr because the Wiz are a little desperate to dump his salary. Porter is at 26 mil so that is what the Jazz would need to come up with the get him.

Favors + Exum would work for Porter Jr and one of Oubre, Green, Satoransky or even Dekker (What a disappointment he has been)
Damn, $26mil? Is he worth that ?