What's new

2019 Trade Deadline Discussion

If they get Conley they could easily sneak in the playoffs... they might have to eat more than just Jackson’s terrible deal... might have to take leuer too. Salaries would also have to match damn near perfectly cuz both teams are inches from the tax.

If they want to eat bad salary they can pick up an extra first from Houston or a handful of other teams... just because they aren’t a FA player doesn’t mean that extra 20-30M in salary is meaningless... they will also likely try to operate at the salary floor next year. If they like Kennard then they should do the Detroit deal but otherwise it’s kinda crappy to move up 6-10 spots... doubt they’d get it unprotected. With Blake and Conley that is a playoff team imo. 15th pick versus 23-25 worth 30M.
Even if they sneak in they will have the 15th/16th pick. Utah will likely be 22/23/24. This year that would be the difference between drafting Huerter or Allen.

And Jackson might suck, but he's an expiring for next year.

The Jazz probably need a third team involved to make a Conley deal work. A team that is willing to move young assets or picks to the Grizzlies along with the Jazz expirings.

Even if they sneak in they will have the 15th/16th pick. Utah will likely be 22/23/24. This year that would be the difference between drafting Huerter or Allen.

And Jackson might suck, but he's an expiring for next year.

I think Leuer would have to be in the deal too... otherwise detroit would be right at the tax line with like 5 dudes add in minimums and they in the tax... 27M is a lot of bad money to move up a few spots... kennard is fine but I’m not sure he has that much value.

I’ll be curious to see what happens obvi... our current offer is pretty good... can save them some dough this year and a ton next... it’s aint worth it for us to go much higher.

Serious question: when was the last time a Jazz trade rumor ended up happening? Korver, Crowder, and Rubio came out of nowhere, IIRC.

Serious question: when was the last time a Jazz trade rumor ended up happening? Korver, Crowder, and Rubio came out of nowhere, IIRC.

Rubio was talked about for a while.

You're right about Korver and Crowder coming out of nowhere. I definitely remember there being rumors about Rubio a week or two before that trade happened.

I seem to remember hearing about Rubio and Korver a day or two before they happened, but beyond that I can't think of one. Didn't happen with the Deron trade. Even the Boozer signing all those years ago was a blindside.

I also remember there being a lot of talk about the Al Jefferson deal before it actually happened.

The past day every time I log into Jazzfanz it's like Christmas as I am hoping to see a thread posted of a trade that just went down.

I’m really not amped for a Conley deal. It’s like 1/10th as exciting as the idea of getting OP Jr, Aaron Gordon, or Jrue.

Don't think OP Jr is that exciting. 24m a year (or something) for a player who's worse than Favors, but happens to be a better fit. Jrue would be amazing. Conley is great, but his contract, age, and injuries scare the **** out of me.

I’m mildly interested in Garrett Temple. Would give us another switchy defender, 1-3.

Always liked him... he’s cooled off a bit from his fast start but really good defender and good vet presence.

I’m really not amped for a Conley deal. It’s like 1/10th as exciting as the idea of getting OP Jr, Aaron Gordon, or Jrue.

I think Gordon is a touch overrated. Cooled a bit on Porter... the difference between Conley and the dudes you mention is age... which is the concern I’d have. Conley could be good here but in 1-2 years you are still looking for that 3rd piece. The other guys fit the timeline much better.