What's new

2020 All-Time Draft - Round 1: silesian vs Ellis269

Who would win in a 7 game series?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

spycam1

Team silesian

Point Rotation: Magic Johnson (40), Sidney Moncrief (8)
Wing Rotation: Sidney Moncrief (32), Rick Barry (32), Danny Green (16), Michael Cooper (16)
Big rotation: Kareem Abdul Jabbar (40), Shawn Marion (36), Al Horford (20)

Outside rotation role players, selectively used depending on match-ups: Jamaal Wilkes and Shane Battier

Team Ellis269

Starters
PG: Allen Iverson
SG: Reggie Miller
SF: Vince Carter
PF: Elvin Hayes
C: Hakeem Olajuwon

Bench
PG: Dennis Johnson
SG: Marques Johnson
SF: Elgin Baylor
PF: Nate Thurmond
C: Artis Gilmore

Silesian write-up

This team was built around the best and most successful point guard in NBA history and the best and most successful Center in NBA history:

Kareem Abdul Jabbar and Magic Johnson. Number 3 and 5 on ESPN’s greatest NBA players of all time.

I've added complementary players to Kareem and Magic to create a Showtime Lakers team "on steroids". Here is the team philosophy:

(1) It starts with an elite and athletic defense that generates turnovers and creates low percentage shots….

***2 DPOY wings: Moncrief and Cooper, 7 All NBA defense: add Green, Wilkes, Battier, Horford, Jabbar plus Marion, The Matrix, an elite defender of all 5 positions.***

(2) …Low field goal percentage leads to many defensive rebounding opportunities so you add great rebounders to control the defensive boards and get the outlet to Magic…

***Peak Rebounding seasons: Kareem (16.9), Marion (11.8), Horford (10.2), Magic (9.6), Moncrief (6.7), Wilkes (8.8)***

(3) Magic orchestrates the break and places pinpoint passes to athletic and elite finishers for easy buckets….

***Elite finishers: Marion (7 seconds or less Suns), Moncrief, Wilkes, Cooper***

(4) … or distributes to three point spot-up snipers...

***Peak season 3P%: Green (.455), Battier (.430), Horford (.429), Marion (.387), Cooper (.387), Barry was best shooter in league so you can imagine him in today’s 3 point game***

(5) Complementing Plan A (Magic runs you out of the gym), Plan B is the added bonus of having the talent to execute an efficient half-court offense.

***This starts with the most unstoppable shot in NBA history, Kareem’s sky hook. And add to this spacing from many excellent 3P shooters creates lanes for Magic, Moncrief, Barry and others to exploit spacing that they never experienced in their eras***

Intangibles: (1) Magic is the undisputed alpha dog and team leader; (2) four showtime Lakers provide built-in chemistry; (3) Showtime Laker's bigs are upgraded from Kurt Rambis and Mitch Kupchak to Marion and Horford, would be fun to watch.

So while other teams have added redundancy with (for example) multiple elite isolation scorers (and one ball), this team was constructed to a consistent team concept that will win, built around Magic and Kareem.

Match-up:

Ellis has put together a nice team, I admire the fact that he had the guts to add some incredible old timers. Particularly, his strength is powerful paint-focused bigs with Thurmond, Gilmore, Hayes and Hakeem. This also creates a weakness Silesian will exploit due their lack of speed and limited ability to run the floor. Plus weak outside shooting, with no stretch bigs at 4 or 5. This shooting weakness is exacerbated by the back-court, where, after Reggie and Vince, Ellis’s third best 3P shooter is AI at 31%, and players 4-10 have subpar outside shots and do not even attempt shoot threes. This includes PG Dennis and SF Marques Johnson, awesome slashers who I love, but who had virtually no outside game.

With 7 All NBA defenders (both wing and rim), I’m going to be able to aggressively perimeter-guard Reggie, AI and Vince while others on the court cheat, double, and plug the middle, leaving little room to create. Ellis’s scorers will be operating with little space and his efficiency will suffer.

By his own admission, AI struggled defensively, and lineups had to be constructed to compensate. In the EC champion Sixers, he played alongside strong defenders Eric Snow, Aaron McKie and Raja Bell. Eliis has none of that and with Reggie Miller at his side, his defense will be exploited by Magic, Moncrief, Barry and others.

It is notable that when late-career Kareem played against peak Hakeem, the Lakers won 18 of 23, they matched up pretty evenly, each scoring ~22 ppg. Notably, Kareem was very effective, shooting 61% from the field while he held Hakeem to 51%. Peak Kareem will have a notable advantage.

Final fact: Silesian’s roster has 8 NBA Champions, 26 rings, Ellis has 3 Champions, 6 rings.

Definitely more inclined to Ellis’ team on the outset, but Silesian sold it really well. Also, AI is junk, especially in a format like this.

I might be in the minority but I think Kareem is better then Hakeem. Plus magic is better than either and easily the best pure PG ever. Stockton is close but he isn't a pure PG. He's more of a... Pg

Iverson is the only other player besides LeBron to drag scrubs to the Finals and he won an MVP. I don’t understand the hate. Him and Carmelo almost made a Finals too. Him and Olajuwon would be a deadly pairing.

I do have to say I don’t think Hakeem has ever gone lower than 4 in one of these. He is severely overrated by JF.

I might be in the minority but I think Kareem is better then Hakeem. Plus magic is better than either and easily the best pure PG ever. Stockton is close but he isn't a pure PG. He's more of a... Pg
If Stockton isn’t the most pure pg than the position doesn’t exist. How you can say Stockton wasn’t a pure pg with a straight face is beyond me. Look I’ve never said once that Stockton was a better all around player just a better pg. I can’t help but wonder what Stockton would’ve done had he played with better rosters, say showtime Lakers.

people forget just how good Stockton was. Best passer I ever saw, best little man finisher at the rim I’ve ever seen, smartest player too. Whenever you hear legends of the game described Stockton you hear things like “flawless” “smarter than everyone else”, “ makes the right play every time”, things like that. You just proved how dumb you are and how much you hate Stockton.

Ron has always been overly enamored with athleticism and players who are unique in some way. It makes sense given his background.

Magic: 30.3%
Moncrief:28.4%
Barry: 29.7%
Marion: 33.1%
Kareem: 05.6%

There’s almost zero stretching of the floor going on by silesian here. That’s a huge issue for me.

Iverson is the only other player besides LeBron to drag scrubs to the Finals and he won an MVP. I don’t understand the hate. Him and Carmelo almost made a Finals too. Him and Olajuwon would be a deadly pairing.

I do have to say I don’t think Hakeem has ever gone lower than 4 in one of these. He is severely overrated by JF.

Bro, AI and Melo got blasted twice in the 1st round. They almost made the finals after they traded his *** for Billups.

Iverson is a floor-raiser, he never proved he knew how to win with teammates in a sustained or meaningful way. His entire game was predicated on going solo. There is no overlap to his and Hakeem’s game, and in these contests, you gotta have the ball moving to the best possible shot and you should have obvious chemistry between your highest-usage and/or best players.

Hakeem is generally underrated and probably properly rated on JF. You wanna talk about a dude that dragged a team to the finals? Hakeem did it and won. Twice (Clyde was a shadow of his former self and was only there for the second run [when they were actually worse but still swept the Magic, and making Shaq literally cry from frustration]). Hakeem is the best defensive player of all time and is widely regarded as the most skilled post-player ever as well, effectively covering two of the most important aspects of basketball with just one person. I take Hakeem over any center in history and it’s not close. He should be playing with high-efficiency and high-volume shooters, some perimeter defenders, some star power (off the bench especially), and a couple of relatively low-usage players for good measure.

Last edited: