What's new

2020 Free Agency Thread

Maybe they are done because the guys we are interested in want more money they we have left. Or maybe they want to give some of the young guys a shot at making an impact or maybe you are right and the Jazz front office has no clue. What upsets me is that after the season ended all DL talked about was the need to get more athletic wings who could defend and not mess up spacing. So what happened?

We got bigger but not at the wings. So unless Brantley or Oni or Morgan make a huge leap we haven't really improved much. Favors helps in some ways but we still have the spacing problems we had before. I have a small hope that Hughes could be a surprise off the bench but he and Udoka are getting a raw deal having to jump right in NBA action after 9 months of not playing. No summer league and a shortened camp. So they may not contribute at all.

Last edited:
Watch Rudy get supermaxed to cap things off.

I like Favors and Doke as players, but adding Doke and Favors as the two “big” offseason additions really made little sense to me.

If minutes are the issue, I really think we should have moved Joe Ingles and replaced him with someone like DJJ. Joe’s best days are behind him.

I dunno. I don’t necessarily hate any of the moves individually, but the sum total doesn’t make a lot of sense.

well maybe they are done because the guys we are interested in want more money they we have left. Or maybe they want to give some of the young guys a shot a making an impact or maybe you are right and the Jazz front office has no clue. What upsets me is that after the season ended all DL talked about was the need to get more athletic wings who could defend and not mess up spacing. So what happened? we got bigger which i think needed to happen but not on the wings. So unless Brantley or Oni or Morgan make a huge leap we haven't really improved much. Favors helps in some ways but we still have the problems we had before when you let him go. I have a small hope that perhaps could be a surprise off the bench guy but he and Udoka are getting a raw deal having to jump right in NBA action after 9 months of not playing. So they may not contribute at all.
The rooks will be fresh.

So it's

Conley - Clarkson - NWG
Mitchell - Ingles - Oni - Tucker
Bogey - Royce - Hughes
Favors - Morgan - Niang
Gobert - Udoka

So I guess it's down to NWG, Tucker, and Brantley for the last two spots?
Brantley probably gets signed to a two way so that's all folks. Time to take the kak out of the oven and start frosting it.

Maybe they are done because the guys we are interested in want more money they we have left. Or maybe they want to give some of the young guys a shot at making an impact or maybe you are right and the Jazz front office has no clue. What upsets me is that after the season ended all DL talked about was the need to get more athletic wings who could defend and not mess up spacing. So what happened?

We got bigger but not at the wings. So unless Brantley or Oni or Morgan make a huge leap we haven't really improved much. Favors helps in some ways but we still have the spacing problems we had before. I have a small hope that Hughes could be a surprise off the bench but he and Udoka are getting a raw deal having to jump right in NBA action after 9 months of not playing. No summer league and a shortened camp. So they may not contribute at all.
Oni is the new addition... it’s the classic DL rope a dope... AB and Dante were big additions 4 seasons in a row.

Watch Rudy get supermaxed to cap things off.

I like Favors and Doke as players, but adding Doke and Favors as the two “big” offseason additions really made little sense to me.

If minutes are the issue, I really think we should have moved Joe Ingles and replaced him with someone like DJJ. Joe’s best days are behind him.

I dunno. I don’t necessarily hate any of the moves individually, but the sum total doesn’t make a lot of sense.
Like we will be better but it’s the opportunity cost and the assets we used to get there.

had we drafted... Bane, Bey, McDaniels, Woodard, Terry to get them in the program and baking for when we need to replace Joe and Mike... I’d say the offseason was conservative but solid.

There a chance that Brantley comes back on a two IIRC. If he doesn’t get a real deal from another team, his choices are to take the two way from us or play in another league....which I’m not sure is possible given the times.

That means 14 and 15 could very well be NWG and Tucker. Personally, I’d be pissed if I was Brantley and I see these two getting paid so much more. We should really cut one of those two and give Brantley a guaranteed year with two non guaranteed years after.

There a chance that Brantley comes back on a two IIRC. If he doesn’t get a real deal from another team, his choices are to take the two way from us or play in another league....which I’m not sure is possible given the times.

That means 14 and 15 could very well be NWG and Tucker. Personally, I’d be pissed if I was Brantley and I see these two getting paid so much more. We should really cut one of those two and give Brantley a guaranteed year with two non guaranteed years after.
At least with Tucker you can make an upside argument. NWG is just not an NBA player.

At least with Tucker you can make an upside argument. NWG is just not an NBA player.
Yeah...maybe Tucker can make things work when he’s not terrified to play NBA basketball. He’s got the talent to potentially be an NBA player, I’ll give him that.

The only real selling point I see with NWG is that he won’t complain...which is important for a 15th guy, but we really ought to use that spot on someone who could potentially play at this level.

Given that we have a PG two way guy already, I don’t see the point of searching for another PG. If it really gets that bad with injuries, then he can come in and play. It’s insane that the FO dedicates so much capital to C and PG, when our two franchise cornerstones have those positions set.

At this point, any random 6’7 guy is preferable to a PG.