What's new

2020 Free Agency Thread

Yes we were excited with the deals last season but too bad it did not work.
We really can't say if they tried or did not do anything to move players that did not work.
Who knows what the other teams were asking in exchange of taking these players off the Jazz.
And who know what are the under the table and other handshake, unmentionable deals teams have to make these deals work.
What we know are what we are getting from the media.

Me thinks Horford and George Hill would still be moved.
Or be bought out.
Can the Jazz still afford George Hill on a vet minimum?
Are both parties willing to have a reunion?

Or we will do nothing and pretend we fixed the perimeter defense by double fixing the interior defense.

Look we are better but it’s always on the fringes I feel we goof up... goof up enough on the fringes and it snow balls. I hope we have a g league season so Udoka can Shaq it up down there... I hope Miye is ready... of all the rookies he looked the most calm and confident when he played... he’s got tools. Don’t upgrade NWG and it probably doesn’t matter... but it might.

He did. And I largely supported the Conley traded because we needed to **** or get off the pot. However, all the steps that led to that were things I pushed back on all along the way. Once we knew Donovan was good early in his rookie season, we needed to go all-in. We drug our feet on that for two years and eventually passed on everything in the name of flexibility, and then when it came down to it he got hyper-focused on Conley. Can’t blame them for the moves they made. I was supportive. I really liked the Ed Davis pick up. But when the flaws of this team became incredibly glaring, we did absolutely nothing about it, even when the cost was non-existent (i.e. getting a semi-warm body to play backup 5). Getting some semblance of flexible competency for perimeter defense will be this season’s “backup 5 problem” of last year — it will be obvious to anyone, but we’ll refuse to concede the issue, until next summer when we overcorrect and develop new blind spots in the process.
You are forgetting we moved pretty quickly to steal Bogie (while cancelling a meeting with Bobby Portis) and a few hours later we had signed two solid vets in Davis, Green and a reclamation project in Mudiay. It wasn't only Conley (before Bogie, the FO also had a deal in place for your guy Mirotic but you know the story). None of us saw Davis becoming useless. Green, well, is Jeff Green. During the season we had two glaring holes: i) bench scoring and ii) lack of back up big. We did solve one: acquiring JC for the corpse of Exum was a good move. I don't get why we didn't acquire a PF/C at the time (to be fair, Davis and TB had negative value and we lacked assets to move them then...it's easier when the contracts are expiring and teams have cap space during the offseason). Not acquiring a perimeter is defender now is a head-scratcher, but the offseason is not over (I'm still not buying Oni stock but I hope his defense is as good as advertised). BTW, Tony Jones throws a lot of smoke out there, so I'm not sure about the claim we are done. I expect at least one more signing.

Last edited:
Ask Tony Jones this question on Twitter :p

Seems like Hill burned his bridges in Utah from what I've heard/read from the insiders.
Yeah he gone. Sucks cuz he was basically perfect and would fit so well next to Don. I’m thinking he’s kind of an *** at times.

The buyout market might actually have something turn up as there will be a bunch of guys getting waived when these transactions become complete.

Yeah he gone. Sucks cuz he was basically perfect and would fit so well next to Don. I’m thinking he’s kind of an *** at times.
And how much was the extension we offered? 80M/4 years?. It was like Donyell Marshall leaving for less money to Chicago. Basketball wise it was a great match but we never knew what happened after (with Hill it seems there were some frictions with other teammates, including Rudy).

The buyout market might actually have something turn up as there will be a bunch of guys getting waived when these transactions become complete.
There are some good players available. Agents are still trying to get their clients in good situations/get more money. But soon the musical chairs will begin for a roster spot and we will see lots of 1year deals at the min.

And how much was the extension we offered? 80M/4 years?. It was like Donyell Marshall leaving for less money to Chicago. Basketball wise it was a great match but we never knew what happened after (with Hill it seems there were some frictions with other teammates, including Rudy).
I think he shut it down when he could have fought through the toe injury... honestly I kind of side with him. I think that’s where a lot of it came from. He wanted 100M... I think we offered 80... and part of that would have come from our excess cap space that year. Hills agent really screwed the pooch.

There are some good players available. Agents are still trying to get their clients in good situations/get more money. But soon the musical chairs will begin for a roster spot and we will see lots of 1year deals at the min.
It’s definitely started but midnight will come soon and there will still be some guys at the bar looking for someone... question is will we be at the bar or at home playing Sudoku?

I think he shut it down when he could have fought through the toe injury... honestly I kind of side with him. I think that’s where a lot of it came from. He wanted 100M... I think we offered 80... and part of that would have come from our excess cap space that year. Hills agent really screwed the pooch.
Yeah, he was extremely cautious during the season, maybe due to his impending free agency. The toe thing at the end probably was the nail in the coffin. Yup, that was a lot of money....

I think TJ reported tensions between him and Rudy, and possibly other teammates. I'm too lazy to search the tweet.

Knicks have been super quiet and responsible thus far... means they do a dumb Westbrook trade right? They aren’t just going to chill... they have no chill.

I watched NWG up close and personal in summer league. The speed and size of that setting made him look inadequate. He’s not some 19 year old that needs seasoning... he’s seasoned. If he plays any meaningful rotation minutes ever I will be shocked.
You need those more in Europe.

Knicks have been super quiet and responsible thus far... means they do a dumb Westbrook trade right? They aren’t just going to chill... they have no chill.
I really like what NY is doing. They are being patient and doing the slow build. They cut unnecessary guys and are only signing guys to 1 year deals or low cost deals. In the past, they would trade for Westbrook or overpay somebody like Van Vleet.

I still think they are in play for a guy like Conley but only because he is an expiring. Regardless, they have no rush.

Sent from my SM-G970U using JazzFanz mobile app

I'm expecting some off the radar signing, like a Euro UDFA.
Gabriel Deck could be a possibility. Could develop into Ingles role.

Shane Larkin would be great but kinda redundant.

I don't how it things would work with the timing of the seasons. Euroleague has already started.