What's new

2020 Free Agency Thread

Since there’s this narrative of “Snyder’s teams always start slow,” and since there’s not a long offseason and the only person we’re integrating has already been here, we’ll probably be where we are in general, and the “oh wow, normally we start slow but we’re already looking good!” posts, coupled with “this is why you should never doubt the FO” will become unbearable.
We’ll still start slower than we should.

For the record, while I share a lot of the opinions held by the crowd expressing woe, I think the jazz will likely be a strong regular season team. I think it’s fair to project a top-4 finish in the West. But our weaknesses are entirely predictable once the playoffs roll around.

For the record, while I share a lot of the opinions held by the crowd expressing woe, I think the jazz will likely be a strong regular season team. I think it’s fair to project a top-4 finish in the West. But our weaknesses are entirely predictable once the playoffs roll around.
I think Denver had a worse offseason this far and since that is the new team we are focused on beating we can call it mission accomplished.

Favs is a good addition for that matchup. If we start him like we did Morgan, and let him start on Jokic, that would work really well. Still gonna have guys like Dame and Steph and Jamal Murray light is up... we can address that need next offseason. By 2027 this team will be completely built out.

It does feel like we over payed for JC, but w/e. Wasn't a huge overpay.

Hopefully he can make some kind of mid-career jump and learn how to pass. His assist% was extremely low, even by his standards, last season.

We had to pay JC. It was a no brainer. If we let him walk, we still only had the MLE (Favors) and the BAE to use. There is nobody available at the BAE that would give us what Clarkson does. Letting JC go would been a loss of an asset.

I don't think he stays with us through the life of his contract, but I do think it was a contract worth making. The value is fair compared to Gallinari and others.

I think Denver had a worse offseason this far and since that is the new team we are focused on beating we can call it mission accomplished.

Favs is a good addition for that matchup. If we start him like we did Morgan, and let him start on Jokic, that would work really well. Still gonna have guys like Dame and Steph and Jamal Murray light is up... we can address that need next offseason. By 2027 this team will be completely built out.
The thing is Denver GM can actually afford to take days off during offseasons and let his development team take the load because his squad features real up and comers who will only get better over time, whereas our squad have to constantly make adjustments just because you never know who is next after Ed Davis to fall off a cliff. Joe? Conley? Bojan? Or even Favors? Gotta get your picks packed up and ready to give when that happens. Or I guess you can still announce Oni and Morgan as your new offseason additions and call it a day cuz Millers family doesn't care. Would Smith family do? Just have to wait and see.

Last edited:
JC in a bit of a different role, good defensive backup centers, and Conley playing more minutes with the second unit.

I am slightly optimistic about our bench this year, while we didn't lose any starters (who were elite last year). If bench goes from strength to weakness this team could really have an awesome regular season.

On the other hand, the league feels so stacked right now that two new teams are probably needed soon, and the playoff contenders in the west are the purest embodiment of that. Gonna be a god damn grind.

Should be fun. Can't believe we are a month away.

I’ve been wanting an actual stretch big for a long time. An actual 4 that can guard actual bigs, and yet it seems the jazz are allergic to bigs that can shoot and be playmakers. We won’t draft them, won’t sign them. Now we have three centers on the team that do the same ****ing thing, play on the ****ing interior, clogging up the ****ing lane. And because of this our offense becomes predictable. It’s like the jazz don’t know any other way.

I get it they need to be big and physical to compete with the Lakers, Clippers of the world. But these teams have a variety with their bigs. They still spread you out without losing that physicality on offense or defense. All our bigs do is bang and take up space in the paint. And yes, I know we play Bogey, O’Neale , and Niang at the 4 but I don’t view them as true 4’s. Bogey and Niang are basically only wings to slow to guard wings, but not big enough to guard 4’s, and O’Neale is even smaller and not even as long as the other two
The open person
and that guy would just pass it back because most of the time they didn’t know what to do with the ball

I want to see how the Ed and Tony trades shake out but I think Philly gave a second to get Tony based on a pod I listened to... there is some real evidence that DL doesn’t really canvas the league like he should. I been joking about the Rolodex but it might be a thing... stay tuned.

I want to see how the Ed and Tony trades shake out but I think Philly gave a second to get Tony based on a pod I listened to... there is some real evidence that DL doesn’t really canvas the league like he should. I been joking about the Rolodex but it might be a thing... stay tuned.
While I don't disagree. I think DL and Zanik had very specific goals this offseason, and all of those moves were made towards that goal. TB did have some value, but the Jazz wanted to dump the salary without taking players back, same with Ed. They weren't looking for best return, they were looking for cheapest return.

Now we can debate making all those moves and losing value on assets just to overpay the dudes we wanted wasn't the best move. But at least it makes me feel better thinking the FO did have an actual plan this offseason. We will see what those plans amount to, but at least it's easy to talk yourself into this Jazz team giving us a pretty dang good, and fun season.

Who's excited for the Rick 'n' Eddie Pick 'n' Roll? Or is it the Rick 'n' Roll?

While I don't disagree. I think DL and Zanik had very specific goals this offseason, and all of those moves were made towards that goal. TB did have some value, but the Jazz wanted to dump the salary without taking players back, same with Ed. They weren't looking for best return, they were looking for cheapest return.

Now we can debate making all those moves and losing value on assets just to overpay the dudes we wanted wasn't the best move. But at least it makes me feel better thinking the FO did have an actual plan this offseason. We will see what those plans amount to, but at least it's easy to talk yourself into this Jazz team giving us a pretty dang good, and fun season.
Tunnel vision: the cause of, and answer to, all of our problems.

What is their goal though?

Draft a backup center. OK, so that means in FA we can focus on positions other than the backup center then? Boom. Sign Favors.

Draft a SG who has the potential at being our bench scorer. OK, so that means we might get ready to let JC walk and spend the MLE elsewhere like on Christian Wood then? Boom. Bring back Clarkson.

Get rid of both Ed and Tony by essentially giving away assets. Oh, so this at least shows our FO is committed to get us avoid the LT. Boom. Keeping Conley and still subject to LT for this coming season.

So what's next? We are stacking up defensive minded bigs with no range at all so get prepared to trade Rudy, I guess? Follow this pattern by the FO, I wouldn't be surprised at all if we get to see the news of us resigning Rudy to the Supermax then immediately assigning Azubuike to the G league next.

Last edited:
What is their goal though?

Draft a backup center. OK, so that means in FA we can focus on positions other than the backup center then? Boom. Sign Favors.

Draft a SG who has the potential at being our bench scorer. OK, so that means we might get ready to let JC walk and spend the MLE elsewhere like on Christian Wood then? Boom. Bring back Clarkson.

So what's next? We are stacking up defensive minded bigs with no range at all so get prepared to trade Rudy, I guess? Follow this pattern by the FO, I wouldn't be surprised at all if we get to see the news of us resigning Rudy to the Supermax then immediately assigning Azubuike to the G league next.
I wouldn't expect that the Jazz expect any real kind of contribution from the 27th and 38th picks (and they shouldn't). You could look at the drafting of Dok as an insurance policy during Rudy negotiations. Which is maybe all you should expect from an end of first round pick.

Otherwise, it seems the plan was run it back while solidifying the very weak bench, getting the 20ppg sharpshooter back, and hoping for internal growth and continuity. There is only one West team clearly above and beyond the rest, and we match up pretty well with them. The rest is a giant *********** that we are smack in the middle of. All of those teams can beat or lose to each other, so just hope some of the magic is on our side this season.

I mean setting up goals is nice. But it only means something when you actually achieve them. And when you do, quickly move on to your next objective, instead of, you know, double down or even triple down on the task that you've already achieved.

I wouldn't expect that the Jazz expect any real kind of contribution from the 27th and 38th picks (and they shouldn't). You could look at the drafting of Dok as an insurance policy during Rudy negotiations. Which is maybe all you should expect from an end of first round pick.

Otherwise, it seems the plan was run it back while solidifying the very weak bench, getting the 20ppg sharpshooter back, and hoping for internal growth and continuity. There is only one West team clearly above and beyond the rest, and we match up pretty well with them. The rest is a giant *********** that we are smack in the middle of. All of those teams can beat or lose to each other, so just hope some of the magic is on our side this season.
Hoping for some magic is not good GM work, I can tell you that much. Let's just pray DM can grow to 6'6 or Rudy develop an outside shot is not good management. You always address your team's shortcomings in the offseason and our FO fail to deliver.