What's new

2020 Free Agency Thread

I’ll feel really differently about our chances if we snag a guy like Harrison. It’s just too hard not to see our weakness on the perimeter as currently constructed.

Sooo kinda digging the idea of Torrey Craig. Made 2mil last year, is now a FA. He’s a 6’7” wing and although he can’t shoot the 3 he can obviously steal some guards lunch (looking at you don), and go against bigger wings. Not to mention it’s one less guy Denver gets to bring back. Yep. I am about it. Think we could get him for the BAE?

There’s actually something of a precedent being set where rookie (or very unproven) defenders are helping their teams win. For example, Toronto and OKC have built really good defenses with the likes of players similar in profile to those you just mentioned. Switchable wings.
And there is no reason Hughes can’t be that. He’s actually a lot longer than Bane and his T-Rex arms.

And there is no reason Hughes can’t be that. He’s actually a lot longer than Bane and his T-Rex arms.
Sure. The problem with having a better sense of Hughes’s potential as a defender is merely data. You know... because Syracuse basically didn’t teach him anything of what he needs to know.

Hughes might know how to use Excel. He’ll need to master SQL without Summer League or much of a training camp. Sounds reasonable.

Sure. The problem with having a better sense of Hughes’s potential as a defender is merely data. You know... because Syracuse basically didn’t teach him anything of what he needs to know.

Hughes might know how to use Excel. He’ll need to master SQL without Summer League or much of a training camp. Sounds reasonable.
Silly argument. It’s not like Syracuse hasn’t ever produced good defensive players.

If only we had some sort of young guy like that with an Ivy League brain. I don't know where you go for someone like that though. . .

Silly argument. It’s not like Syracuse hasn’t ever produced good defensive players.
My argument is that we don’t have a very good idea who Hughes is as a defender. That’s far from silly. On the other hand, it looks like you’ve backed yourself into a funny corner.

None of Bane/Bey/Woodard are even close to rotation ready. They might not even be NBA players. They certainly weren't some sort of "solution" to what currently ails us.
The probably can’t play. But if they pop, the reward is so great. Doke has no chance of playing the next 3 years outside of Favors getting hurt. The potential reward? A backup C that plays 12 MPG.

The probably can’t play. But if they pop, the reward is so great. Doke has no chance of playing the next 3 years outside of Favors getting hurt. The potential reward? A backup C that plays 12 MPG.
After signing Favors the only explanation for getting Udoka is that Jazz see him as a second coming of Rudy.

Especially since they knew they were signing Favors beforehand. Could have had TWO of the aforementioned and we got zero of them.

I’d like to think I will not care about this in the middle of the season. But when one of those dudes pops it’s gonna really bug.

It's was really poor planning. What it really comes down to is they must have really believed in Doke as BPA...which is odd because no one else had him this high. They also had the confidence to trade back way before the draft started knowing they could still get him. But if you really believe in Doke that much, why would you block him from playing for the next 3 years?

I had thought that the Bradley move was to keep us under the tax, but it's clear now that we were prepared to be a tax team the whole team. Kudos to ownership. Turns out the Bradley move was made because Favors was coming in. If you are hell bent on Doke, just keep Bradley and let those two compete for the backup C minutes. That's already a lot of draft capital to spend backing up your star C. Ironically, Juwan Morgan might have won that contest in the end.

Use the MLE and the other draft pick to target some wings. You can't get enough of those players.

My argument is that we don’t have a very good idea who Hughes is as a defender. That’s far from silly. On the other hand, it looks like you’ve backed yourself into a funny corner.
About as good an idea as we have about Bane’s ability to defend nba players. The point is, the guys you mentioned have a chance to be good NBA defenders, as does Hughes.

About as good an idea as we have about Bane’s ability to defend nba players. The point is, the guys you mentioned have a chance to be good NBA defenders, as does Hughes.
Hughes was not drafted on the strength of his resume as a defender. Does that mean he has no chance of being an impact player on that end? Of course not. But there were certainly players available from 23 to 39 about which much more was known when it comes to their defense.

You keep saying something along the lines of “chance” or “potential” with Hughes.... and it’s sounding more and more romantic each time.

We drafted a backup center then signed another backup center. We drafted a player who had the potential of being a bench scorer then resigned our bench scorer. Perfect way to utilize your limited resources

We really used our first round pick and our MLE on two backup centers and just completely ignored the crystal clear deficiencies in our roster 2-4. We're literally choosing to run it back with exact same problem that doomed last season. Which was a severe lack of size, length, athleticism, versatility, depth and defense 2-4.

We have 3 NBA level wings. Bojan Bogdanovic, Joe Ingles and Royce Oneale. That's it, that's all. And the Jazz seriously find that sufficient enough to compete for a championship....

Unreal. So dumb.
Yeah. Compare that to what Portland did this year. They had a similar problem to us last season. They responded by trading for Covington and signing Derick Jones Jr. Those are two super athletic defenders who can switch.
It's was really poor planning. What it really comes down to is they must have really believed in Doke as BPA...which is odd because no one else had him this high. They also had the confidence to trade back way before the draft started knowing they could still get him. But if you really believe in Doke that much, why would you block him from playing for the next 3 years?

I had thought that the Bradley move was to keep us under the tax, but it's clear now that we were prepared to be a tax team the whole team. Kudos to ownership. Turns out the Bradley move was made because Favors was coming in. If you are hell bent on Doke, just keep Bradley and let those two compete for the backup C minutes. That's already a lot of draft capital to spend backing up your star C. Ironically, Juwan Morgan might have won that contest in the end.

Use the MLE and the other draft pick to target some wings. You can't get enough of those players.
I have no idea what the team projects Doke to be, but I do know in the modern NBA he is certainly not going to be “blocked” from playing. If he proves himself to be good enough to get minutes, he will.

I think it’s clear that the Jazz are hedging their bets here. Two possible scenarios that to me make their actions fully understandable.
1. The jazz aren’t willing to offer Rudy the max and don’t know if they will be able to come to terms with him.
2. The jazz have decided that if they had to pick only one that they’d pick Donovan, and they aren’t sure where he is at with Rudy going into extension discussions.

I listened to the Boeheim pod cast on Hughes and he said he really is a good defender. He said the Cuse plays at least half their practices in man to man and Hughes was really good at it.