What's new

2020 Free Agency Thread

And Bogey isn’t only playing 20 minutes, nor is Doke in the rotation.

But yes, there is definitely a role and some minutes for someone like Batum if he can still play.
For some reason I thought I had Bogey down for 8 more at SF. I will edit it.

And I think Dok will be in the rotation just like Udoh was. Maybe not every game, but he is going to play here and there to give players rest. New schedule will be compact and tough on players. I expect him to play.

Listening to Locke today the sense I got is that we are done... like done done. He said something about carrying 13 or 14 players because that’s all you need... so maybe we churn through 10 days but I get the impression we may not even fill out the whole roster.

It’s smart too because there isn’t some weird pandemic out there that could cause you to lose a few players for a few weeks suddenly... oh wait.

Locke also went on about 48 minutes of defense and how important it is and yada yada... last year he was like... it’s backup center it’s 12 minutes a night TB is fine and improving y’all being unreasonable.

I still like him but he definitely is being a homer. He also said something about staying over the tax... which leads me to believe it’s not a done deal and that we could look at other moves in season.

Locke also went on about 48 minutes of defense and how important it is and yada yada... last year he was like... it’s backup center it’s 12 minutes a night TB is fine and improving y’all being unreasonable.

I still like him but he definitely is being a homer. He also said something about staying over the tax... which leads me to believe it’s not a done deal and that we could look at other moves in season.
Being a homer? Like, he moves in and out based on the topic?

I dont know of a bigger team homer in the NBA. Our whole media group is just so in the pocket of the Jazz (I know Locke is an employee........talking more Tony etc). Its s cushy gig, give them good press, dont challenge them on ANYTHING and you get the access for the puff pieces and some minor inside knowledge. "And we all go about our day"......

I dont know of a bigger team homer in the NBA. Our whole media group is just so in the pocket of the Jazz (I know Locke is an employee........talking more Tony etc). Its s cushy gig, give them good press, dont challenge them on ANYTHING and you get the access for the puff pieces and some minor inside knowledge. "And we all go about our day"......
There’s one person who occasionally raises a semi-critical voice... and I think it’s because he suffers from the same condition the rest of us do: fandom.

But yeah, how is it that there’s this generalized consensus that whatever move is made must be because of really sound principle? We acknowledge mistakes in the abstract, but are never able to say, “hey, yeah, this right here... this is where they really ****ed up.” Instead we quietly acknowledge way after the fact of “hey, nobody bats 1.000!”

Yeah I forget how homerific he is sometimes. It just struck me as especially homeristic since it’s a complete about face.

There’s one person who occasionally raises a semi-critical voice... and I think it’s because he suffers from the same condition the rest of us do: fandom.

But yeah, how is it that there’s this generalized consensus that whatever move is made must be because of really sound principle? We acknowledge mistakes in the abstract, but are never able to say, “hey, yeah, this right here... this is where they really ****ed up.” Instead we quietly acknowledge way after the fact of “hey, nobody bats 1.000!”
Exactly.

TJ has been full Woj this offseason. Andy is the only guy and I think he pays the price a little. It’d be nice if there was an independent dude that just went hard with questions. The Mike Conley bench/Unbench was the time I felt it the most.

Media: So what happened?
Coach:Uhhh we changed our mind..
Media: that checks out no further questions.

Yeah, I think this encapsulates the problem pretty well, and not just with Locke, but everyone. We kept being placated with how it doesn't matter, we believe in Tony, it's okay, trust the process, etc. Now we get the total inverse and if we're not super excited it's because we don't realize how important 48 minutes of defense at the 5 is.

I'd say they burned up their credibility on this issue, but those of us who see this are definitely the exception and not the rule.

What's the complete about face exactly?
Last year multiple times he down played the importance of the back up center and that 10-12 minutes didn’t matter... today it was like that 10-12 minutes kills us and now they have brilliantly solved the problem.

I like the Favs signing... it’s overkill but that was the most obvious roster hole. I might have tried to get a less spendy option and get another wing... but giving Miye a shot is fine.

TJ has been full Woj this offseason. Andy is the only guy and I think he pays the price a little. It’d be nice if there was an independent dude that just went hard with questions. The Mike Conley bench/Unbench was the time I felt it the most.

Media: So what happened?
Coach:Uhhh we changed our mind..
Media: that checks out no further questions.

I don’t even think TJ has much inside information besides with Favors. He is so reactionary. He will say things after they happen but never before.

I mean, how many corpses did we discuss signing for the minimum to be in the playoffs? Noah, Bogut... lots of other possible deadline guys... now all the same people who scoffed at how stupid that idea is are trying to sell us on the backup 5 defensive idea like they invented it.

Last year multiple times he down played the importance of the back up center and that 10-12 minutes didn’t matter... today it was like that 10-12 minutes kills us and now they have brilliantly solved the problem.

I like the Favs signing... it’s overkill but that was the most obvious roster hole. I might have tried to get a less spendy option and get another wing... but giving Miye a shot is fine.

Any example?

Yeah, I think this encapsulates the problem pretty well, and not just with Locke, but everyone. We kept being placated with how it doesn't matter, we believe in Tony, it's okay, trust the process, etc. Now we get the total inverse and if we're not super excited it's because we don't realize how important 48 minutes of defense at the 5 is.

I'd say they burned up their credibility on this issue, but those of us who see this are definitely the exception and not the rule.
Exactly... like if they’d have thrown 3 seconds and Ed could they have gotten a backup last year that fit? But those suggesting it were laughed at a bit because it doesn’t matter... bigs don’t play in the playoffs... yada yada.