What's new

2020 Free Agency Thread

well great... He didn’t call DL yet so if guys are calling him we ain’t getting him.

I agree. Rudy agrees a deal or we trade Rudy to Atlanta. They have already built a team better suited to support a Trae/Rudy team.

Rudy for Collins, Capella, and picks. We could then use the full BAE and avoid the luxury too.

Sent from my SM-G970U using JazzFanz mobile app

I could also imagine a deal with Chicago that includes Wendell Carter Jr., Patrick Williams and filler, but maybe that's just me.

Can someone make a list of the teams Jae Crowder has NOT played for? Love that guy, but someone needs to finally give him a home. That contract looks awfully tradeable. . .

Jae and Jeff Green should open a jerseys store together, they must have quite a collection.

I'll go ahead and say it out loud. I think bringing back Favors in free agency and drafting Udoka in the 1st round are part of a contingency plan in case the Jazz can't can't come to an agreement with Rudy. I think there's a certain deal that the Jazz are willing to offer Rudy, and beyond that they'll trade him or let him walk. This narrative that the Jazz "need to improve their defense when Rudy is off the floor" is valid, but it's also a cover story.

The Raptors just did something similar with Fred VanVleet. They drafted Malachi Flynn (a FVV wannabe) and just gave VanVleet an exorbitant contract. If that negotiation didn't work out for the Raptors, they would have let Van Vleet walk (or executed a sign-and-trade) and given the backup PG role to Flynn.
Maybe but the raps got Flynn partly because Lowry is old and you can play multiple ball handling pgs anyway.

The tea leaves all point to Rudy re-signing. Honestly I didn’t think we were dumb enough to give Rudy the super max but at this point I’ll say it’s 50/50. If he digs in and says supermax or I’m out I think they will give him the money. DL is spineless.

Honestly I think the Udoka pick is partly because they like him but also you can’t judge a first rounder who never sees the floor. Is it a bad pick? No one will ever know.

If millsap nails then Denver is hosed. Lost Grant and Plumdawg already... rough offseason for the nugs.

I don’t think we are making Rudy contingency plans... it’s not really how we work. Plus if you are worried he wants more money you don’t give 30M to his backup that you could just use for him. I think the most reasonable explanation is just that we made a bad pick... trying to rationalize it or make it smart somehow in a weird endgame is the same **** people did when we drafted Tony.
Maybe they can play together?
Maybe they think Rudy won’t last?
Maybe they want a super cheap backup?

maybe they are just dumb

I don’t think we are making Rudy contingency plans... it’s not really how we work. Plus if you are worried he wants more money you don’t give 30M to his backup that you could just use for him. I think the most reasonable explanation is just that we made a bad pick... trying to rationalize it or make it smart somehow in a weird endgame is the same **** people did when we drafted Tony.
Maybe they can play together?
Maybe they think Rudy won’t last?
Maybe they want a super cheap backup?

maybe they are just dumb
There's always the possibility that Rudy won't commit. You have to account for that, whether you think it's likely or not.
Jazz didn't get a firm commitment from DWill, so they traded him (though they may also have wanted to trade him at the time).
Jazz didn't get a firm commitment from Hayward, and they got burned.

Last edited:
There's always the possibility that Rudy won't commit. You have to account for that, whether you think it's likely or not.
Jazz didn't get a firm commitment from DWill, so they traded him (though they may also wanted to trade him at the time).
Jazz didn't get a firm commitment from Hayward, and they got burned.
Wait a week... I’m like 85% certain he signs...

I predict Hayward plays in less than 60% of possible games over those 4 seasons.

The jazz draft and signings kind of feels like they are preparing to move on without Rudy, but the reports are they are negotiating a contract extension? Hmm...

Excited to see if Ingles and Favors can reignite the magic.
I dont think they are preparing to move on without Rudy but the draft gives some insurance if that happens. I think they knew that the odds are very high that anyone in the range they were drafting was unlikely to contribute this year. And given their philosophy of defense, they used the pick on someone that MIGHT be a huge difference maker in that space for years to come. Unlike many on this board and most NBA teams, the Jazz are not building the whole system around wings. I happen to agree that finding adequate wings is not nearly as difficult as finding very good rim protectors. Favs was brought back to make us better this year - and I dont think there is 10M that could have been spent better to do so. Our drafting was for the future.

This is David Locke projecting the current roster. It doesn't look like JWF or Rayjon Tucker will be back. Locke is also making this look like the next obvious move is for a backup PG.

This is David Locke projecting the current roster. It doesn't look like JWF or Rayjon Tucker will be back. Locke is also making this look like the next obvious move is for a backup PG.

It’s stupid to do depth charts like this because DM and Ingles function as Pgs too. Signing another pg only would prove to me we don’t get it. Sign a wing. What happens if Oni sucks or we have an injury?