What's new

2020 Free Agency Thread

I noticed the Kings signed Hassan Whiteside to a one year minimum deal and signed a guy the Spurs drafted in the middle of the 2nd round in 2018 a 6'9" guy from USC to a training camp deal.

I’m telling y’all, a critical reason the Jazz drafted Doke was as a serious contingency plan.

The writing on the wall and the otherwise absolute inanity of the pick otherwise adds up to that the Jazz are prepping. If Doke pops then the Jazz are gonna move forward without Rudy.
Maybe... I can’t imagine DL being that aggressive.

Maybe... I can’t imagine DL being that aggressive.
He learned from KOC; the guy who talk him how to let people walk. Nervous about setting a price on your RFA? Don’t worry. Tell them to go out and find an offer and let someone else set the price. Do you have a team heading nowhere, with Josh Howard absorbing minutes from other guys needing to develop? Don’t worry. You don’t need to move him at the deadline for an asset. Just let him expire.

Jazz have been getting trade calls on Gobert for the past 6 months. They know what's out there. Also, if the rumor that the Jazz called Atlanta about the #6 pick is true, then that's almost certainly an invitation to discuss a Gobert trade.

Jazz are going to consider all their options.

In terms of player equity, getting Favors back in FA is easily worth the 2nds the Jazz gave up to move Bradley.
isn't it easier to take someone alse than Tony B few years ago? Tony cost us a lot.
Three years of development, team spot, rookie scale contract. future picks to get rid of him, lost series vs Nuggets.
He wasn't just 2nd round pick never played a game in SLC.
We shouldn't drafted him.

isn't it easier to take someone alse than Tony B few years ago? Tony cost us a lot.
Three years of development, team spot, rookie scale contract. future picks to get rid of him, lost series vs Nuggets.
He wasn't just 2nd round pick never played a game in SLC.
We shouldn't drafted him.
Tony is an NBA rotational player. He just isn't strong enough defensively to anchor a team's defense. He was a #28 pick. I wouldn't worry about it.

Tony is an NBA rotational player. He just isn't strong enough defensively to anchor a team's defense. He was a #28 pick. I wouldn't worry about it.
I worry that there were two wings drafted right around TB that would fit awfully well with the current roster. Kinda sick of this missing on picks doesn’t matter nonsense.

If we all had a time machine, we wouldn't be hanging out on these boards, we would all own NBA teams.
No, we’d still be sitting on message boards. Even if you had a time machine, you’d still get “u think u no better than GM lol.”

You mean Josh Hart and Derrick White? Ehh, I don't think they change the Jazz's outlook.
Yes. And are you kidding me... Hart would be good to have but Derrick White is a great perimeter defender and is basically the perfect player to put next to DM. If you have him you might not do the Conley trade and there is a pretty big butterfly effect.

If we all had a time machine, we wouldn't be hanging out on these boards, we would all own NBA teams.
The thing is GM's jobs is judged upon retrospect. Vlade can tell Kings owner that he would have drafted Luka if he had a time machine do you think it's enough for him to convince them to keep his job? Not saying drafting Tony is as bad as drafting Bagley over Luka but bad moves add up over time and I'm afraid we've had enough of those to put DL's job into some serious questions.

You mean Josh Hart and Derrick White? Ehh, I don't think they change the Jazz's outlook.
This is the most DL/basic Jazz Fan take. They look at a player and think “how would that dude help THIS team at THIS very moment?” (See our Doke, Grayson Allen, Tony Bradley etc etc)

How about “how would that guy have been valued by the rest of the league both today and in 12/24/36 months? AND could they be of value to our team as well?”

We seem to never look at players as assets that bring value beyond what our team needs at that very moment.

You think we are paying a pick to get off Derrick White or Josh Hart?

This is the most DL/basic Jazz Fan take. They look at a player and think “how would that dude help THIS team at THIS very moment?” (See our Doke, Grayson Allen, Tony Bradley etc etc)

How about “how would that guy have been valued by the rest of the league both today and in 12/24/36 months? AND could they be of value to our team as well?”

We seem to never look at players as assets that bring value beyond what our team needs at that very moment.

You think we are paying a pick to get off Derrick White or Josh Hart?
I think they were looking at TB as developmental but that never happened. The Jazz are really good at having a guy light up summer league and then realize that the player just does not have it. They did this with Bradley and Trey Lyles. At least we got Spida out of Trey.