What's new

2020 NBA trade deadline discussion

infection

Staff member
2018 Award Winner
2019 Award Winner
2022 Award Winner
Let’s get this fired up.

Imo Lindsey should be grounded from trading for a while. He should be made to sit with his nose in the corner and count his draft picks.

Quin for Pop straight up

Or

Quin plus a bunch of ham Toronto can call canadian bacon for Nick Nurse.
pop led kemba +DM to the worst team USA record in history just a few months ago. yeah i think he's definitely looking forward to coaching another midget backcourt duo in DM+Conley

Id really like getting Patty Mills. The Spurs have sucked and hes got another year on his deal after this year. Hes good but not good enough to where he should cost a ton to get.

I wouldnt want to give up Dante though. Id love to pair them together as a 2nd unit. Not sure how salaries would work tho.

Id really like getting Patty Mills. The Spurs have sucked and hes got another year on his deal after this year. Hes good but not good enough to where he should cost a ton to get.

I wouldnt want to give up Dante though. Id love to pair them together as a 2nd unit. Not sure how salaries would work tho.

We really can’t cobble enough salaries together for that one without Dante... unless you want to move Joe. I have always liked him and think he’d do quite well in our offense.

I’ll believe the Spurs are blowing it up when I see it. The number of times they’ve done that is exactly 0 in the last 20 years (at least), and that’s the scenario that would be in-play if they are letting Mills go for what the Jazz can offer.

I’m also not convinced that the missing piece on this team is another aging, small guard.

Thought the Locked in podcast this morning was pretty telling... he was not a homer at all... give it a listen.

He thinks we are being a bit selfish. It does feel a little bit his turn my turn right now. I think what we need is not necessarily a trade but we need to take some of the more ball hoggy types out of rotation if possible and have some of the main guys play more for each other. They are a bit disconnected... think coach needs to have a heart to heart with a few guys.

I’m cool with a Mudiay swap and limiting Greens minutes a bit. Niang needs to be out of the rotation he gets pretty shot happy... fine with him shooting the threes but he’s been hunting other shots a bit too much.

Thought the Locked in podcast this morning was pretty telling... he was not a homer at all... give it a listen.

He thinks we are being a bit selfish. It does feel a little bit his turn my turn right now. I think what we need is not necessarily a trade but we need to take some of the more ball hoggy types out of rotation if possible and have some of the main guys play more for each other. They are a bit disconnected... think coach needs to have a heart to heart with a few guys.

I’m cool with a Mudiay swap and limiting Greens minutes a bit. Niang needs to be out of the rotation he gets pretty shot happy... fine with him shooting the threes but he’s been hunting other shots a bit too much.
Quin absolutely needs to do that yesterday. Managing psyches is absolutely critical, and it's why Phil Jackson was as successful as he was. The X's and O's weren't as important as getting talent on the same page.

Quin's never had this much of that to deal with, he's always lacked offensive talent and had to find ways to get enough good shots up and now the opposite is true; he needs to reign guys in and get them to play smarter and better. The X's and O's are another thing that needs addressing.

Quin absolutely needs to do that yesterday. Managing psyches is absolutely critical, and it's why Phil Jackson was as successful as he was. The X's and O's weren't as important as getting talent on the same page.

Quin's never had this much of that to deal with, he's always lacked offensive talent and had to find ways to get enough good shots up and now the opposite is true; he needs to reign guys in and get them to play smarter and better. The X's and O's are another thing that needs addressing.

I'd even consider a change to the rotation... why pull DM early if you are going to play him with Mudiay and Green... if you have DM, Green, and Mudiay on the floor I get why Joe has struggled a bit... he's never getting the ball in that lineup. The starting lineup has played well together... keep it out there longer or sub Joe in for Royce early instead of DM.

I'd even consider a change to the rotation... why pull DM early if you are going to play him with Mudiay and Green... if you have DM, Green, and Mudiay on the floor I get why Joe has struggled a bit... he's never getting the ball in that lineup. The starting lineup has played well together... keep it out there longer or sub Joe in for Royce early instead of DM.
I'm hoping the eventual play is that neither Exum nor Mudiay are even in the rotation, you give that role to Donovan (and Joe if he keeps coming off the bench), and you give those minutes to either Brantley or a new arrival. The place that a trade has here is that I hope Exum gets traded and Mudiay becomes a depth piece.

In any case, Niang should not be playing in any scenario outside of numerous injuries or garbage time.

As far as trades themselves are concerned, I would keep an eye on the following:

-Former and recent Jazzmen: not having to play catch-up midseason on a squad that already lacks cohesiveness is a real selling point. Could you get Favors or Crowder back?
-The Knicks: Terrible team going nowhere that signed nearly every PF this offseason while we basically don't have one. Morris looks like a dream on paper, but I could easily see Portis being moved as he's been bad this year (but I can see him being particularly sensitive to his environment).
-Nemanja Bjelica: I'll let this die when I have a reason to. Drafted as a PG, played as a wing coming into the league, with the size to potentially play both big spots. If the Kings trade him, it probably would be nearer to the trade deadline and only if they feel they are out of the playoff picture and other pieces develop such that he's viewed as a superfluous piece.
-The Cavs: I'm warming up to Kevin Love, but I'm more interested in Larry Nance Jr. Unfortunately, I don't think he's available.
-Marvin Williams.

There is a lack of sexy options because the Jazz just lack assets and possessions. We need glue guys that space the floor, and if they can be a roll-man or a stretch 5 then that's a bonus.

I wouldn't mind trading Exum for Bertans.

Bertans is a deadly shooter and a smart player who can run PnR as a ballhandler some. Pop liked him a lot and only let him go because of Morris.

Why Wiz would do it?

They sorely need defense anywhere they can get and they have more than enough offense. They both have 2 years left.

We already have a monopoly of these guys. Can't trade with ourselves!

But maybe the jazz can trade some of the young undersized, unathletic players for some veteran undersized, unathletic players. Maybe if they are on bad contracts we can also shed a few draft picks to get them.

Some good names here.

One I’m curious about is Trevor Ariza. My fear is he’s cooked. But given our need at the 4 as well as goal of having a deep playoff run which almost inevitably would include facing the likes of Lebron, George and/or Kawhi, it certainly can’t hurt to inquire about him. He seems like the type that would flourish on a team like ours.

Exum for Ariza straight up would work I think and both have one year left.

Not saying he’s my number one choice but he’d make my semi-short list.

And fwiw, Ariza is better than Jeff Green so far as rebounding, assists, and steals numbers. And I’d trust him hella more than Green’s bum *** defensively and in a big situation where he has to hit a wide open 3.

Was it mentioned this is the longest period without a trade in the last 30-years or so.

Also, Conley, Mitchell, Niang, Williams-Goss for Ellington, Julius Randle, RJ Barrett, and Dennis Smith Jr works after Dec 14th.