What's new

2020 NBA trade deadline discussion

Someone tweet tony jones asking him if he thinks we could trade for Wood, Vonleh, or Baynes.

Someone tweet tony jones asking him if he thinks we could trade for Wood, Vonleh, or Baynes.
I want Wood... that's all... okay I'd be okay with the others. I'm prepared to be disappointed.

The other guys are stopgap dudes that won't raise the ceiling of the team, but would help us not suck as much when Rudy is off the floor. I think Wood could change things a bit for us.

Like I think 2 seconds would do it for Detroit... I'm not sure our front office would go with a less proven guy... gut I look at how well Wood is playing and think about what our development staff could do with all that. Try it before you buy it has value.

We have our 2022 second (the double draft) and a Cleveland second in 2024 I believe. Those are solid imo.

Like I think 2 seconds would do it for Detroit... I'm not sure our front office would go with a less proven guy... gut I look at how well Wood is playing and think about what our development staff could do with all that. Try it before you buy it has value.

We have our 2022 second (the double draft) and a Cleveland second in 2024 I believe. Those are solid imo.
2 seconds is too much risk for an expiring contract. Wood is a great player but he's not worth that much risk, especially knowing we currently may not have enough space to bring him back. I'm all down for clearing as much space as possible to throw everything we've got at him in the summer though. Could be another memo-esque signing for us. This guy has some potential to be more than just a starter in this league.

2 seconds is too much risk for an expiring contract. Wood is a great player but he's not worth that much risk, especially knowing we currently may not have enough space to bring him back. I'm all down for clearing as much space as possible to throw everything we've got at him in the summer though. Could be another memo-esque signing for us. This guy has some potential to be more than just a starter in this league.

The catch 22 is that I don't see us making a big investment in him unless we see it work. Full MLE should get it done unless he just goes bonkers... If he went bonkers that would mean good things. I'd try and make it one second and TB or Niang and a second plus some cash... but I'd go higher than that no problem. If he was so good that he got offers bigger than MLE I think we could still keep him by giving player options... if he blew up here he'd likely be inclined to stay if the offers were close.

The question you need to be asking yourself is if you like Wood or if you like cash considerations.

Look I don't know if we got what it takes to get him... but we should push in what we have to do it. I mean outside of the top 7 guys. I don't know if he anchors a defense well enough, but he'd do some positive things on that side and the offense would be amazing. Could push Joe back to the bench because he'd have a stud pick and roll partner. He can play alongside Rudy when the Lakers go big... this is the dude. The fake handoff drive and dunk is something we don't have that would open things up for Bojan, Joe, DM etc.

I didn't know him, those highlights look great, now I get why you keep promoting him.

I didn't know him, those highlights look great, now I get why you keep promoting him.
His on/off splits and real plus minus are even better. I don't think he just puts up hollow numbers like Kanter… now I think he will make mistakes and likely drive Quin crazy at times, but I just imagine that guy with the space we can provide. I think he gives us a different look if we want to go 5 out.

The question you need to be asking yourself is if you like Wood or if you like cash considerations.
Yeah but that's DL being DL. Hope he learnt his lessons from this last year's draft as we saw teams buying their way into first round using second rounders, while we were scrambling to find talents in late second round cuz we ran out of assets. I'd totally do it if the possibility of signing Wood in a few months without having to give up anything, or giving up more picks only to lose him in a few months, isn't there.

If Wood wasn't in Detroit he'd be on a lot more radars. I feel like he's going to be a throw in, in the Luke Kennard trade and I'm going to lose my ****.

His on/off splits and real plus minus are even better. I don't think he just puts up hollow numbers like Kanter… now I think he will make mistakes and likely drive Quin crazy at times, but I just imagine that guy with the space we can provide. I think he gives us a different look if we want to go 5 out.
He could basically become the next memo story. A very good project to take on if we want to get a future all-star caliber player on our team without paying the big buck. But this pistons team is not the one from 2004. They probably knew what they've got so the moment they get rid of Drummond, they will start rebuild with Wood being one of their core pieces. They may do anything to keep him.

If Wood wasn't in Detroit he'd be on a lot more radars. I feel like he's going to be a throw in, in the Luke Kennard trade and I'm going to lose my ****.
Just offer whatever team he lands on the two seconds. I mean, when you're hitting close to the deadline you could maybe even pull some shady stuff that people don't have time to look into... like, "hey, we'll also give you this guy we've got the rights to in Europe who's just been killing it over there."

He could basically become the next memo story. A very good project to take on if we want to get a future all-star caliber player on our team without paying the big buck. But this pistons team is not the one from 2004. They probably knew what they've got so the moment they get rid of Drummond, they will start rebuild with Wood being one of their core pieces. They may do anything to keep him.

I mean that's what they should do... but they might be wary of matching the type of deal he will get when their team is going through a rebuild. They don't have bird rights on him. So unless they move Drummond the highest they can go is MLE... well a bunch of teams could offer that and he might find a team he likes more.

They are selling off Kennard for draft assets, so I think they will likely reset the next couple years... go through the process until Blake's contract expires. Wood could be a better trade asset if they have him on a reasonable deal or he might clog their cap for other things they want to do... their window becomes something that is 3-4 years away.

If Detroit just looks at the numbers TB could be somewhat appealing... young and under contract next year... they'd have team control too... maybe we can talk them into Niang.

Couple years ago they gave Bullock up for a couple prospects... one was Svi… they were worried he'd get paid too much. So they've done deals like this before and had it work out.

Knicks and Lakers are supposedly interested in making a deal. The Lakers want Morris ($15 million) and the Knicks want Kuzma ($2 million). Interesting to see how the Lakers can make that happen considering the salaries.

Knicks and Lakers are supposedly interested in making a deal. The Lakers want Morris ($15 million) and the Knicks want Kuzma ($2 million). Interesting to see how the Lakers can make that happen considering the salaries.
Knicks would need to consolidate or cut a bunch of guys... it’d be a 4 for 1 trade. I have a feeling this is the Lakers and Knicks raising the price for the clips... I think the two things that are certain this trade deadline are that Houston will move Capela and Clips will get Morris.

Knicks would need to consolidate or cut a bunch of guys... it’d be a 4 for 1 trade. I have a feeling this is the Lakers and Knicks raising the price for the clips... I think the two things that are certain this trade deadline are that Houston will move Capela and Clips will get Morris.

I think the Lakers would move Danny Green, but they'd want a SG back, like maybe Alonzo Trier or Damien Dotson.