What's new

2020 Presidential election

https://qz.com/1696901/2020-republican-presidental-candidates/

Yeah but I haven't even heard of any primary votes or debates, so basically no.

I meant it when I said it some time ago, had there been a real challenge and Republicans nominated a candidate other than Trump I would have VERY strongly considered voting for them. I don't have a lot of passion for Democrat policies. I don't really care about the R vs D thing. I'm like you #nevertrump

many states made it impossible to challenge Donald in a primary. Joe Walsh attempted a primary and just quit this past week. I don’t know how Sanford is doing...

many states made it impossible to challenge Donald in a primary. Joe Walsh attempted a primary and just quit this past week. I don’t know how Sanford is doing...
Sanford ended his campaign months ago, back in November. As far as I know, Bill Weld, former Republican governor of Massachusetts, is the only active primary challenger to Trump. He got just over 9 percent of the vote in New Hampshire last Tuesday.

That never happens though. There were calls from Democrats last year to defy their states' vote and not confirm Trump, but it didn't happen. The state delegates are honor-bound to convey the votes of their citizens.
Huh, I thought it literally happened in the last election.

Actually I googled it and came up with this that seems to show that it actually happened numerous times last election: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.la...-faithless-electors-2016-story.html?_amp=true

They had been lobbied for weeks to abandon Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump. But ultimately, only two members of the electoral college did so, while five members deserted Democratic nominee Hillary Clinton.

It was the largest number of individual defections by electors in a U.S. presidential election

The final tally in Monday’s vote was 304 votes for Trump and 227 votes for Clinton. The two Republican renegades were from Texas, while Clinton lost pledged votes from Hawaii, Maine and Washington.

These seven individuals join a small club of “faithless electors” in American history.

There has been a total of 157 faithless electors

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app

That never happens though. There were calls from Democrats last year to defy their states' vote and not confirm Trump, but it didn't happen. The state delegates are honor-bound to convey the votes of their citizens.
Here is Wikipedia:
In United States presidential elections, a faithless elector is a member of the United States Electoral College who does not vote for the presidential or vice presidential candidate for whom they had pledged to vote.

In the 2016 United States presidential election, ten members of the US Electoral College voted or attempted to vote for a candidate different from whom they were pledged

Although there had been a combined total of 167 instances of individual electors voting faithlessly in over two centuries of previous US presidential elections,[5] 2016 was the first election in over a hundred years in which multiple electors worked to alter the result of the election in order to "vote their conscience for the good of America"

As a result of the seven successfully cast faithless votes, the Democratic Party nominee, Hillary Clinton, lost five of her pledged electors while the Republican Party nominee and then president-elect, Donald Trump, lost two. Three of the faithless electors voted for Colin Powell while John Kasich, Ron Paul, Bernie Sanders, and Faith Spotted Eagle each received one vote.

So basically the electors can simply be like "the voters of my state are idiots so I'm going to give my electoral vote for the person I think should be president".
And it does happen. 7 times in 2016.

Again, the electoral college sucks. In every way

https://qz.com/1696901/2020-republican-presidental-candidates/

Yeah but I haven't even heard of any primary votes or debates, so basically no.

I meant it when I said it some time ago, had there been a real challenge and Republicans nominated a candidate other than Trump I would have VERY strongly considered voting for them. I don't have a lot of passion for Democrat policies. I don't really care about the R vs D thing. I'm like you #nevertrump
I like how senators Mike Lee and Rand Paul got on Trump’s case for his BS meeting about Soleimani. I was hoping that more would get behind them.

https://www.deseret.com/indepth/2020/2/13/21136722/utah-sen-mike-lee-iran-trump-war-powers

Mr. Lee has been a pleasant surprise as of late.