What's new

2020 Presidential election

This is kind of a weird take imo. People with UI benefits are going to see a 200 dollar decrease in their payments per week and Trump has sole ownership of that. I don't see this as some great five dimensional chess move.
The Democrats left the negotiations with ZERO.

There was no unemployment kicker.

There was no eviction/foreclosure protection.

There was no student loan debt payment freeze.

There was no stimulus.

There was nothing.

They walked away with nothing.

Trump swooped in and provided something.

Now the move the Dems make is to say that they'll challenge the little bit Trump did in court?

Bad look.

Chuck Todd just referred to Trump’s “great incentive to go back to work” comment as “a Marie Antonette moment” in yesterday’s press conference. Let them eat cake...

Which is to say the GOP outplayed the DNC on this one. The DNC was in a position where they needed to compromise but didn't. They called Trump's bluff but turns out he had the better hand.

Bottom line, this looks good for Trump and bad for the DNC.

To say otherwise is like saying your basketball team actually played better and won the game if you count all the times their shot got blocked as made baskets because at least they tried to take the shot but those meanies on the other team just kept blocking them.

Sent from my SM-G973U using JazzFanz mobile app

If you want to take the stance that this is a win for Trump then you should at least say this looks good for Trump and bad for the DNC AND GOP. Did the GOP do anything fantastic in this round of stimulus that you can point to? At least the DNC agreed on a plan and approved the plan. All the GOP did is kill the plan the DNC came up with and then argue forever to the point that Trump felt the need to step in.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app

The Democrats left the negotiations with ZERO.

There was no unemployment kicker.

There was no eviction/foreclosure protection.

There was no student loan debt payment freeze.

There was no stimulus.

There was nothing.

They walked away with nothing.

Trump swooped in and provided something.

Now the move the Dems make is to say that they'll challenge the little bit Trump did in court?

Bad look.
What could the Democrats have done to leave the negotiations with something?

If you want to take the stance that this is a win for Trump then you should at least say this looks good for Trump and bad for the DNC AND GOP. Did the GOP do anything fantastic in this round of stimulus that you can point to? At least the DNC agreed on a plan and approved the plan. All the GOP did is kill the plan the DNC came up with and then argue forever to the point that Trump felt the need to step in.

With the republicans stalling the bill Trump signed an executive order that puts the burden of funding the additional UI benefit (in part) on the the already cash strapped states. This is something that never would have flown in Congress.

So now the republicans can go back and plead innocence to their constituency and to their big money donors who demand austerity even in times of unprecedented crisis, Trump gets to claim a victory as a the guy who stopped all the ******** and took action and the democrats look like do nothings.

Which is to say the GOP outplayed the DNC on this one. The DNC was in a position where they needed to compromise but didn't. They called Trump's bluff but turns out he had the better hand.

Bottom line, this looks good for Trump and bad for the DNC.

To say otherwise is like saying your basketball team actually played better and won the game if you count all the times their shot got blocked as made baskets because at least they tried to take the shot but those meanies on the other team just kept blocking them.

Sent from my SM-G973U using JazzFanz mobile app

What is this mythical Republican plan that Democrats should’ve compromised on? Senate Republicans didn’t even vote on a plan; they didn’t have any. It’s difficult to compromise with the other side when the other side doesn’t even know what they want.

I don’t see Americans viewing Trump and the GOP in good light. They’ve seen the handouts to big business. They’ve heard Trump for 7 months downplay the seriousness of the virus. And by now they should’ve heard how some Senate Republicans didn’t want to extend the benefits because it would “destroy the incentive to go back to work.”

If Americans praise Trump and the GOP for these lame *** benefits via Executive Orders (remember when repubs hated executive orders?) then we truly deserve whatever we get. Democracy cannot survive if the electorate is dumber than rocks.

What could the Democrats have done to leave the negotiations with something?

Exactly. I’m interested in what people think here as well. It’s almost become a reflex towards blame Democrats for everything. Which I get, Democrats aren’t perfect and usually suck at campaigning. But what exactly could they have done here? They passed their bill in May. Mitch day on it and then couldn’t even get his own party to agree on anything these past two weeks.
What was Schumer supposed to do?

This is kind of a weird take imo. People with UI benefits are going to see a 200 dollar decrease in their payments per week and Trump has sole ownership of that. I don't see this as some great five dimensional chess move.

Very good post.

Last edited:

It would have been fine. $1200 direct payments in everyone's hand immediately. Unemployment reduced but still generous. The Republicans waited on finishing their bill to see how Co-vid and jobs were trending. Pelosi's plan was able to be passed in May because most of it had nothing to do with Co-vid. It's near 2000 pages, and no I did not accidentally add a zero. If they were serious about helping the American people, they wouldn't be trying to sneak in 1 trillion in non Co-vid related aid to states. Another sticking point $10,000 student loan forgiveness, not targeted. Jeff Bezos' kids would be eligible for it.

You really have to understand it's all about the elections now. The Democrats thought they had the Republicans between a rock and a hard place. They pass the albatross bill, or the Republicans get made out to be the bad guy in a pandemic. A pretty easy line to sell eh? Trump has turned the tables on them now, as Gameface said, it would be a very bad look now for Dems to try and contest the executive orders. As the only goal of these orders is putting money in the hands of Americans instantly, so they can pay their rent and electric bill.

It would have been fine. $1200 direct payments in everyone's hand immediately. Unemployment reduced but still generous. The Republicans waited on finishing their bill to see how Co-vid and jobs were trending. Pelosi's plan was able to be passed in May because most of it had nothing to do with Co-vid. It's near 2000 pages, and no I did not accidentally add a zero. If they were serious about helping the American people, they wouldn't be trying to sneak in 1 trillion in non Co-vid related aid to states. Another sticking point $10,000 student loan forgiveness, not targeted. Jeff Bezos' kids would be eligible for it.

You really have to understand it's all about the elections now. The Democrats thought they had the Republicans between a rock and a hard place. They pass the albatross bill, or the Republicans get made out to be the bad guy in a pandemic. A pretty easy line to sell eh? Trump has turned the tables on them now, as Gameface said, it would be a very bad look now for Dems to try and contest the executive orders. As the only goal of these orders is putting money in the hands of Americans instantly, so they can pay their rent and electric bill.

Why would Dems want to contest executive orders when they’ll be using them in a few months now that Republicans have Laid the groundwork for ruling by executive order? Republicans are going to try to play the same obstructionist game they played under Obama. But now because of Trump, we can just use executive orders to overrule Republican obstructionism.

Who needs legislation now when President Biden and later President Harris, and later President AOC can just outlaw assault weapons, provide amnesty, mandate the ERA, and provide universal health care by executive order? Now we don’t even need to retake the Senate to pass legislation.

Thanks Republicans! ;)

You really have to understand it's all about the elections now. The Democrats thought they had the Republicans between a rock and a hard place. They pass the albatross bill, or the Republicans get made out to be the bad guy in a pandemic. A pretty easy line to sell eh?

Normally, the House would pass the bill, the Senate would pass a revised version, and then they would negotiate. Your rock/hard place metaphor is completely misplaced here.

In all seriousness, so then why didn’t Republicans bring the flawed Democratic bill to be debated on the floor of the senate? They could’ve fixed some of the things you criticize. Instead, they sat on it and then didn’t even come up with their own bill.

You can’t criticize Democrats for coming up with a flawed bill when the other side couldn’t even come up with any bill. Cmon.

It’s as if an erroneous, lopsided spin is eager to spill out of your mouth.

Normally, the House would pass the bill, the Senate would pass a revised version, and then they would negotiate. Your rock/hard place metaphor is completely misplaced here.

Agreed. It’s part of what should’ve been a negotiation. Democrats argue for the whole loaf knowing that maybe they get half of what they requested.

It seems Jazz wanted the Democrats to argue for half a loaf, giving Republicans concessions out of the gate, and then receive maybe a quarter of what they requested. Which is why the Overton window has slid so much to the right recently. Democrats already concede to much to Moscow Mitch.

What ended up happening was that Republicans sat on the bill hoping Covid would go away during the summer. And then the caucus split in two, one Half wanting to pass stimulus money to help them get re-elected while the other half safe from re-election refused to pass anything in hopes of positioning themselves better politically in the future as “fiscal hawks.”

As the only goal of these orders is putting money in the hands of Americans instantly, so they can pay their rent and electric bill.
Except for the part about killing Social Security. Oh, and passing the buck for the unemployment expansion, which is actually not an unemployment expansion and so will take months to take effect, over to the states and making them the bad guys.

I don’t how cutting social security and Medicare, killing mail in voting, and asking grandma to die for the stock market is a winning proposal for Trump and Republicans. But I’m sure some will find a way to blame Democrats for it.

I don't want to take that stance at all.

Let me give some context here.

I have a FB friend who I worked with in the Navy. He's a black guy of Dominican descent who now lives in Jacksonville, Florida. He posts on FB A LOT and has a lot of people who respond and/or comment. He leans Republican by a lot, but has been very critical of Trump and has been very supportive of Black Lives Matter messages. His response yesterday on FB: "Wow. Trump actually looking very Presidential."

At transition at work yesterday the offgoing shift, as I was ongoing, is a bunch of Trump supporters and hard core conservative/LDS types. I usually move away from them when they start talking conspiracy stuff or politics, and I did that yesterday as they had a little pow wow to discuss these executive actions. But not far enough away for me to avoid overhearing how wonderful Trump is for trying to save the economy and help the American people and how dumb the "do nothing Democrats" are.

So this has been me saying Trump scored PR points. I honestly find it bizarre that you and Zombie don't see this as a PR win for Trump (not surprised that Thriller doesn't). I'm surprised you guys are challenging me on what I've said. I didn't say I'm on the Trump train now. I didn't say this was a great thing. I've been talking about how this looks and how this plays in public. This has absolutely been a win for Trump.

Democrats should have compromised until they got something. If it was less than what they wanted they could have said so. That would have been on the GOP. But they walked away with nothing as the unemployment kicker vanished all together.