What's new

2021 NBA Draft Preview (new thread)

You have so much to offer that I wish your focus on here was to provide knowledge and insight instead of trying to piss people off.

At the end of the day, we should all be rooting for the same thing.
I root for chaos and entertainment, personally.

Grimes was shockingly bad from the mid range and also not great around the basket this past season. Was better two years ago to be fair. I don't think shot creating will be part of his role so that shouldn't be too big of a deal. He had a huge volume on his 3's so that gives me confidence in his shot despite shooting poorly earlier in his college career.

I see the Josh Hart comparisons with his size, but Josh Hart was sooooo much better in college and was still the 30th pick. If Grimes is in play at 30 it makes me feel like this is a very weak draft.

Side note - I always love how optimistic comps are. I would like if they listed 1-2 comps that are guys that failed and are out of the league. Would love to see a few Wade Baldwins and John Jenkins thrown out there.

Wade (Floor is George Hill) Baldwin should be a great reminder and accurate comparison for many players.

That’s why saying guys have the floor of Royce or other players are foolish. I don’t watch that much ball anymore, but I’d bet there aren’t many players in the draft that come in day one as good as Royce, where we are picking.

Chad Ford in his recent tweet was saying Brandon Boston Jr. was rising the draft boards lately with strong workouts. Possibly going to the Lakers, Clippers or Rockets in the 1st rd. But truly though, I don't know anything about him except the fact that he's really raw and looked completely lost at the nba combine.

Boston has a connection to the Lakers, in part because he played HS in LA and because he's signed with Klutch Sports. The intrigue with BJ Boston starts with his measurables. He's 6'7" (in shoes), with a 6'11" wingspan. Those are SGA/Shaun Livingston measurables. He's not a high-end athlete, but he has enough athleticism and skill that he should be able to play with some space. He just needs to physically mature. He's had moments where he's looked awful, but he has the potential to be a 3-level scorer and 3D wing. Long term, he can play both on and off the ball.

He's a project, but his ceiling is very high -- like a near-to-Mikal Bridges defender who can do some Brandon Ingram things on offense. Is he worth it to the Jazz to wait on and develop? Not sure. He's a better prospect than Dante Exum, but there are other guards who have high ceilings and higher floors in the Jazz's draft range.

If we're looking for a project, I'd take Primo over Boston if both were available.

Boston has a connection to the Lakers, in part because he played HS in LA and because he's signed with Klutch Sports. The intrigue with BJ Boston starts with his measurables. He's 6'7" (in shoes), with a 6'11" wingspan. Those are SGA/Shaun Livingston measurables. He's not a high-end athlete, but he has enough athleticism and skill that he should be able to play with some space. He just needs to physically mature. He's had moments where he's looked awful, but he has the potential to be a 3-level scorer and 3D wing. Long term, he can play both on and off the ball.

He's a project, but his ceiling is very high -- like a near-to-Mikal Bridges defender who can do some Brandon Ingram things on offense. Is he worth it to the Jazz to wait on and develop? Not sure. He's a better prospect than Dante Exum, but there are other guards who have high ceilings and higher floors in the Jazz's draft range.

At this point, I'd take Primo over Boston if both were available.

BJ Boston is awful at defense and awful at shot creating. What makes you think he has Mikal Bridges potential on defense and Ingram potential on offense? I have a hard time seeing him as a 3&D prospect given that he's very bad at both, and I don't see him as a high ceiling player either. When players are this bad to begin with, it is exceedingly unlikely that they will even be good enough to play in the league. Turning into a star is out of the realm of possibilities.

I do not think they have done many.

Jazz have done a lot of workouts, they've just been kept secret. Jazz co-hosted the Combine in Minnesota that worked out 40+ players in groups of 6 or so. A lot of them were 2nd-round and UDFA prospects though. Jazz have worked out enough 2nd-rd prospects that I think it's likely they'll make moves in the 2nd round again.

BJ Boston is awful at defense and awful at shot creating. What makes you think he has Mikal Bridges potential on defense and Ingram potential on offense? I have a hard time seeing him as a 3&D prospect given that he's very bad at both, and I don't see him as a high ceiling player either. When players are this bad to begin with, it is exceedingly unlikely that they will even be good enough to play in the league. Turning into a star is out of the realm of possibilities.

He has the tools and the feel to be a solid 2-way player. He's a long way away though, and if he doesn't put in the work he'll be out of the league.

Interesting mock with Todd at 30. Has Springer falling all the way to 29. Thor isnt mocked in the 1st.

Recent mocks I've seen have shown Ayo going in the early 2nd pretty consistently.

If he has the tools, everyone has the tools. Dude was awful....not just bad but truly awful in college.

He had some good moments. That UK team was a mess--poor shooting, no space, limited movement. Boston had a better freshman year than Ziaire Williams, and Williams will probably go 1st round. Boston has a low floor, and he might not make it. He's a development project.

Drafting Grimes is like drafting Josh Hart in 2017 and not immediately trading him to the Lakers for Tony Bradley.

I like Grimes as well. He looks like a poor man's version of Devin Booker but with better perimeter defense. After watching his college highlights and draft workout at the nba combine, I wouldn't be upset if they get him at 30.
Skill-wise i don't think Booker and Grimes are similar at all. Grimes is projected to be a 3D wing who can still have a role even if his offensive skillset doesn't translate. Johnny Juzang is more like the poor man version of Devin Booker.

If the Jazz are looking at Isaiah Todd, then they should be looking at Filip Petrusev. It's possible that Todd will develop his mid-range and game off the dribble, but right now Petrusev is twice the player Todd is. Only question with Petrusev is his ability to guard in space. Otherwise, his talent level is on par with Sabonis, imo. Petrusev is 6'11" / 225-lbs with a 7'3" wingspan. He's the Zach Collins 4/5 concept.

Several of these Euros are just being overlooked, imo.

Last edited:
I like Grimes as well. He looks like a poor man's version of Devin Booker but with better perimeter defense. After watching his college highlights and draft workout at the nba combine, I wouldn't be upset if they get him at 30.
Bruh they are basically the opposite.

Grimes is a high volume 3pt shooter with little in-between game and high level D.

Booker is a lower volume 3pt shooter who focuses on the in-between game and doesn't play D.

Kings are reportedly shopping the #9 pick for a veteran player. They're getting tired of losing.

That's Moody/Garuba territory.

Kings are reportedly shopping the #9 pick for a veteran player. They're getting tired of losing.

That's Moody/Garuba territory.
They are $4 million under the cap so they could take on a little bit more in a deal. However, they really only have Delon Wright to send back plus some tiny bad player contracts.

So unless they love Favors and #30 for a couple small contracts and #9 OR Bojan for Delon Wright, small contracts and #9, we would need a third team.