What's new

2021 NBA Draft Preview (new thread)

Roco and Nurkic are both expiring... so you lose value holding on to them. Clear the decks early and tank one year earlier gets you a better prospect in the 22 draft. Like if OKC had been able to get off of CP's deal and now they have all the picks and Lamelo Ball or Edwards etc.

Get 3-4 picks directly from NO... get a few picks for Ingram, grab additional picks for the other dudes. Rent out your cap space for a year or two and really speed up the full rebuild.
I would do half of that. I would get the picks, and I would cash in on Nurkic. Heck, I might even include Nurkic in the NOLA deal since he gets along with Lillard and fits next to Zion. Definitely trade Covington. Maybe McCollum too.

I would keep Ingram though. He'll be relevant for the next 8-10 years. Some people think OKC is brilliant getting all the picks, but at some point, you have to have really good players. Portland could keep Ingram and still go full rebuild. He's just starting his extension.

Trib's draft article came out. Jazz have worked out roughly 40 prospects. The article is subscriber exclusive only so I cant even read it lmao.

Some snippets

Nah’Shon “Bones” Hyland, a scoring guard from VCU that many mock drafts have going in the Jazz’s range, worked out for the Jazz in that early workout during the Clippers series. He’s a scoring guard who can shoot and score from anywhere, but that “Bones” nickname is revealing — he’s quite skinny, and so may struggle defensively in the league. He’s been compared to Jordan Clarkson hundreds of times by now.

The Jazz have worked out a number of players who are on the fringe of the second round, despite not having a second-round pick — perhaps the team is looking to buy one, or just interested in getting their favorite undrafted free agents. Among those players: Seton Hall Sandro Mamukelashvili, South Carolina AJ Lawson, San Diego State guard Jordan Schakel, Georgia Tech’s Jose Alvarado, Georgetown’s JaMorko Pickett, LSU’s Trendon Watford, Notre Dame’s John Mooney, and Houston’s DeJon Jarreau.

Wichita State’s Tyson Etienne reportedly has“interest” from the Jazz, and West Virginia’s Miles McBride reportedly has interviewed with the team.

Then everyone in the workout from Tony’s article

If you have an iPhone and open the article in Reader View you can read it. Click the “Aa” in the toolbar in the top left and then Reader View.
Ahh. Nothing too interesting in the article that wasnt in Tony's Athletic article.

Sounds like everyone being worked out are fringe draft prospects. Utah must be having a hard time getting 1st round prospects in.

Ahh. Nothing too interesting in the article that wasnt in Tony's Athletic article.

Sounds like everyone being worked out are fringe draft prospects. Utah must be having a hard time getting 1st round prospects in.
I’m gonna guess that we also are very sure we can trade back and get something useful. I’d guess we have a couple deals with loose frameworks already setup.

I’m gonna guess that we also are very sure we can trade back and get something useful. I’d guess we have a couple deals with loose frameworks already setup.
Still think it's mostly covid and the Jazz's pick location. It explains the big group workout in Minny. IT allows a lot of teams to see a lot of players at once where they can all covid test at once instead of having them fly and have to wait on testing for each place they go. Utah would want to have as many players in as possible for data reasons.

We're going for the undrafted. That's the strategy.
They're not scouting for the Draft, but for Jazz B in summer league.

We're going for the undrafted. That's the strategy.
They're not scouting for the Draft, but for Jazz B in summer league.
I think we end up buying a pick or two in the 50s rather than doing the undrafted route. If a guy is drafted you can pay him $900k... if not then you pay the minimum of 1.7M regardless of experience. That savings winds up being around $3M when you consider tax and salary. Late picks go for around $1m or less... so its essentially a free prospect for us. I would not be surprised to see us trade 30 for an early second and a late second as well. I guarantee we will have a pick in the second round.

In the mock draft Locke is doing he traded the pick to Brooklyn for 44, 49, 59... not a fan. We had the 47th pick and traded it for Thomas... late 50s picks are easy to buy.

I wouldn't be opposed to trading the pick for multiple seconds but I'd try and get two this year and two in future years. I'd also want one of them to be in the 30s.