What's new

2022 NBA Draft Thread: We Going to Have a Pick! (lmao jk)

I also think this year OKC trades up into the top 5 (with #12) with their treasure trove of assets and shuts up some of those that are like "but what do you do with all teh pickzzz?"

If their pick lands outside the top 5 I think they trade and get into the top 3. I can see teams in the top 10 being more willing to deal in this draft and OKC can give them a nice offer.

The thing is that if you start the rebuild now vs next year it makes all your trades so much more easy.

Right now it must be insanely hard to think of what they want to do in terms of a re-tool. There's just so many options and none of them seem all that great. Plus you got to add on the fact that the front office is so ****ing weird in terms of power dynamics. It must be hell trying to get everyone on the same page.

If you rebuild now, you just trade everyone and get draft picks or young players. You take back bad contracts and you get picks. You dont have to think that hard. Hell you can probably get a first round pick out of Conley under those circumstances.

And with all that, you are probably limiting your years of sucking by 1-3 years vs waiting til next year (or the year after)

After Hayward walked out, Dennis Lindsey rebuilt the Jazz with a 5-year window based on Rudy, Donovan, Ingles, Conley and Bojan. That phase seems to have run its course, with all of those players now reaching 30+ years old (except Donovan). Ingles has expired (probably not just his contract). Bojan is in the final year of his deal (which should be tradable). Conley turns 35 this year. So regardless of the Jazz's performance in the playoffs, the team was facing a reset of sorts.

The big question facing the Jazz though is how they're going to build a highly competitive team when the star players they draft and develop keep wanting to leave Utah. When a team drafts a young prospect, it normally has 7 years of team control on those players. An argument can be made that the Jazz are really operating within that 7-year window to build and develop that team. Now that Mitchell has been with the Jazz for 5 years already, the Jazz's window to build with Mitchell may be down to just two years. That's complicating things.
I would say give it another year if the vibes weren't just miserable. If they land an amazing trade with Rudy then maybe you buy yourself a little time with Donovan... but I'd also look at this as an opportunity to cash in everything and just blow it up. We could cash in like almost no other team ever has. Philly really didn't have nearly the amount of assets we have that we can convert into draft assets. Picks are moving around fast and loose now that there is a play in and teams like the Kings have hope of a "postseason" and every playoff team thinks they have a shot because there is no GS or Miami juggernaut. I think things swing back the other way on the value of picks at some point soon.

Seabron's combo of length, athletic agility, speed, first step. and finishing ability is pretty rare.

Sucks that he really can't shoot at all and he's 22, but he's definitely worth a development project.

The thing is that if you start the rebuild now vs next year it makes all your trades so much more easy.

Right now it must be insanely hard to think of what they want to do in terms of a re-tool. There's just so many options and none of them seem all that great. Plus you got to add on the fact that the front office is so ****ing weird in terms of power dynamics. It must be hell trying to get everyone on the same page.

If you rebuild now, you just trade everyone and get draft picks or young players. You take back bad contracts and you get picks. You dont have to think that hard. Hell you can probably get a first round pick out of Conley under those circumstances.

And with all that, you are probably limiting your years of sucking by 1-3 years vs waiting til next year (or the year after)
Its cashing in on Bogey, Mike, JC, Royce just as much as Donovan and Rudy. You also don't worry about the tax because you can easily duck the tax.

The Phx deal for Cam Johnson you threw out there is an example. They may not do Cam Johnson... but if you said here is JC/Royce for Shamet (actually his last two years are non guaranteed so its 2/20m... not as bad as I though initially) and Saric (or Cam Payne)... are you going to be able to snake two firsts... maybe a distant first and pick swap.

Bogey and Conley to LA for Russ is another one... they give you 2027 and 2029 unprotected for getting them out of jail? Maybe?

You might net 3-4 firsts for those guys and can take on a couple reclamation projects.

The economics are actually going to favor ducking the tax and blowing it up... as I doubt gate receipts change a whole lot if we bring back the same or similar crew and they struggle the fans are already worn out.

Its cashing in on Bogey, Mike, JC, Royce just as much as Donovan and Rudy. You also don't worry about the tax because you can easily duck the tax.

The Phx deal for Cam Johnson you threw out there is an example. They may not do Cam Johnson... but if you said here is JC/Royce for Shamet (actually his last two years are non guaranteed so its 2/20m... not as bad as I though initially) and Saric (or Cam Payne)... are you going to be able to snake two firsts... maybe a distant first and pick swap.

Bogey and Conley to LA for Russ is another one... they give you 2027 and 2029 unprotected for getting them out of jail? Maybe?

You might net 3-4 firsts for those guys and can take on a couple reclamation projects.

The economics are actually going to favor ducking the tax and blowing it up... as I doubt gate receipts change a whole lot if we bring back the same or similar crew and they struggle the fans are already worn out.
No, you keep Royce and tell him to take 15 shots per game.

No, you keep Royce and tell him to take 15 shots per game.
Prolly can't get 15 shots up... but you could give him the ball and tell him to explore the space... if you are looking for a tank commander.

Tanking wouldn't even be very hard... last time we tanked we had so much company. OKC is starting to get too talented... they can't fake injury sit their guys forever. Kings will try. Rockets suck... Magic suck... Detroit likely starts coming out of the mud with Cade and Bey plus whoever they add... could also land Brunson. There isn't going to be enormous tank competition... you can get bottom 4 without being too shady.

I also think this year OKC trades up into the top 5 (with #12) with their treasure trove of assets and shuts up some of those that are like "but what do you do with all teh pickzzz?"

If their pick lands outside the top 5 I think they trade and get into the top 3. I can see teams in the top 10 being more willing to deal in this draft and OKC can give them a nice offer.
They gotta save for Wemby.

I would say give it another year if the vibes weren't just miserable. If they land an amazing trade with Rudy then maybe you buy yourself a little time with Donovan... but I'd also look at this as an opportunity to cash in everything and just blow it up. We could cash in like almost no other team ever has. Philly really didn't have nearly the amount of assets we have that we can convert into draft assets. Picks are moving around fast and loose now that there is a play in and teams like the Kings have hope of a "postseason" and every playoff team thinks they have a shot because there is no GS or Miami juggernaut. I think things swing back the other way on the value of picks at some point soon.

The other thing to be aware of is that teams whiff on their picks. If the Jazz had 3 or 4 picks in this draft, followed by 3 or 4 picks in the next draft, then they could feel confident that they'll come away with two or three real stars they can build with. A few of those other guys will get pushed out the rotation and ask to be moved. And a few others will bust.

In other words, the Jazz may need 6 high first-round picks in order to really hit on 2 or 3 of them. Then that gives the Jazz a foundation of young talent to develop and build on within the same time window. It really makes sense to acquire and use a glut of picks all at once, or plan the rebuild through the draft all to take place in two back-to-back drafts.

The Process shouldn't be to tank for 5 years. The Process should be to sell your assets and acquire a ton of picks all within 2 - 3 years tops.

Get Jaden Ivey, Jalen Duren and Tari Eason in this draft. Next year, get three more studs. Then move forward with the ones that really pan out.

Draft Lottery today.

What's the best case scenario for the Jazz to trade Donovan Mitchell?

The Knicks winning right?
Knicks go top 3-4 and then can make a real offer at Donovan. Donovan hanging out in NY now... so maybe he's feeling like staying... Knicks start the convo with top 3-4 pick and the Dallas pick... Ainge goes through and grabs everything off the shelfs supermarket sweep style.

The other thing to be aware of is that teams whiff on their picks. If the Jazz had 3 or 4 picks in this draft, followed by 3 or 4 picks in the next draft, then they could feel confident that they'll come away with two or three real stars they can build with. A few of those other guys will get pushed out the rotation and ask to be moved. And a few others will bust.

In other words, the Jazz may need 6 high first-round picks in order to really hit on 2 or 3 of them. Then that gives the Jazz a foundation of young talent to develop and build on within the same time window. It really makes sense to acquire and use a glut of picks all at once, or plan the rebuild through the draft all to take place in two back-to-back drafts.

The Process shouldn't be to tank for 5 years. The Process should be to sell your assets and acquire a ton of picks all within 2 - 3 years tops.

Get Jaden Ivey, Jalen Duren and Tari Eason in this draft. Next year, get three more studs. Then move forward with the ones that really pan out.
You give yourself a big margin for error... you don't have to rely on just your tanking... you stack a few extra firsts for when you are good and want to trade for Mike Conley.

Draft Lottery today.

What's the best case scenario for the Jazz to trade Donovan Mitchell?

The Knicks winning right?

If you want the Knicks to trade for Donovan, then you want the Knicks to end up at #3 or #4. If they get #1 or #2, they'll just keep the pick and draft with it. TBH, they might do that with #3 too. Jaden Ivey or Shaedon Sharpe would become the centerpiece of the Knicks' trade package. That said, any team that ends up at #4 might turn around and offer it to the Jazz for Donovan.

Teams we don't want moving up: Sacramento, Portland, San Antonio and Washington. Also, Charlotte. Reason is, then they'll be more willing to trade the pick in a three-team scenario involving Gobert.

Knicks have a 7% chance of cracking the top four tonight. Not great, but getting there might make the DM odds edge up a bit (though I think he’s staying).

I still maintain that the Pelicans could be a popular destination as I think they’re ready to start cashing in some chips ASAP for help ASAP.

If you want the Knicks to trade for Donovan, then you want the Knicks to end up at #3 or #4. If they get #1 or #2, they'll just keep the pick and draft with it. TBH, they might do that with #3 too. Jaden Ivey or Shaedon Sharpe would become the centerpiece of the Knicks' trade package. That said, any team that ends up at #4 might turn around and offer it to the Jazz for Donovan.

Teams we don't want moving up: Sacramento, Portland, San Antonio and Washington. Also, Charlotte. Reason is, then they'll be more willing to trade the pick in a three-team scenario involving Gobert.
If they get #1 they could use it as bait to get a bunch from OKC to trade to us.. say they hit #1 and OKC is at #4... they might snake Dort, #4, #12 if OKC has someone they prefer. They then re-route #4, #12, Quickly, Toppin and the Dallas pick our way... might be able to snake another pick and some swaps as well. The haul listed is kinda the least I'd take... Ainge will want more. Then they can build around Donovan, Dort, Barrett, without burning up all their future drafts.