What's new

2023 NBA Draft Megathread

this is from the guy that hates comps. You could say black is a comp to himself and Cy would hate it.
slo mo and Black aren't good comps though. Kyle is famously a bad athlete... Black moves and jumps much better than him. Kyle also has incredible length... Black has good length. They may have similar role player type value if Black turns out to be less than his median expected outcome maybe.

black really struggles to get shots off. that low release, set shot is really hampering him right now in terms of being an impact offensive player. 38% FGs, 25% 3pt in conference play. the step up in competition has really done a number on him - and that's a major concern.

meanwhile, keyonte george, jarace walker and a few other top guys have elevated their games in conference play.

Maybe as a PG, Black would have some functional similarities to Lonzo Ball coming into the league? I'm reaching here. Also, I don't really regard Lonzo as a success story, injuries aside.

The easy lazy man comp for Black is obviously Delon Wright...

Idk why y'all are trying to galaxy brain yourselves into thinking Slowmo is a good comp

Maybe as a PG, Black would have some functional similarities to Lonzo Ball coming into the league? I'm reaching here. Also, I don't really regard Lonzo as a success story, injuries aside.
If he was Lonzo without the injuries that's a massive win in the 10-15 range. I can't think of many non-all stars I'd want more than a healthy Lonzo.

Black has parts of all of these big pgs and has some flaws of them as well. He's a guy I would bet on and there is some great stuff there to build on.

If he was Lonzo without the injuries that's a massive win in the 10-15 range. I can't think of many non-all stars I'd want more than a healthy Lonzo.

Black has parts of all of these big pgs and has some flaws of them as well. He's a guy I would bet on and there is some great stuff there to build on.

Keep in mind, when Lonzo came into the league, he wasn't a reliable shooter, he almost never drove to the rim or got to the line, he had almost no mid-range game, and he didn't normally beat guys off the dribble. He could defend and pass though. I'm surprised he was such a highly regarded prospect, tbh. Maybe people were trying to compare him to Jason Kidd or something...

If the Jazz are drafting in the 10-15 range, I'd be looking at scorers like Howard, Sensabaugh and maybe Hawkins.

Keep in mind, when Lonzo came into the league, he wasn't a reliable shooter, he almost never drove to the rim or got to the line, he had almost no mid-range game, and he didn't normally beat guys off the dribble. He could defend and pass though. I'm surprised he was such a highly regarded prospect, tbh. Maybe people were trying to compare him to Jason Kidd or something...
Lonzo’s facilitation and defense was elite elite though, if I remember right.

I’d love for Black to be that honestly. I agree, a healthy Lonzo on this team is exactly what we need.

I don't know what qualifies as a Euro step or a one foot jump but feels like this could become a thing... If it is just landing on one foot this will be the next thing dudes use to bend rules.
I just dont see many people being able to pull this off in a game setting. These kind of "trick" footwork finishes have been a thing on tiktok/social media, but I've never seen it actually be used in-game.

Clever move. To me a lot of Eurosteps in the NBA look like this

Nah that is the LeBron famous crab dribble. And Harden has perfected that one too. The quadruple step step-back.