What's new

2023 NBA Draft Megathread

Most drafts look insane until they are not. I think the days of tanking for most teams, including this one after the blow up and one season of it are pretty unattractive. I can see Jazz focus on developing a few young players this season, like Vander and Och as they try to win, not try to lose. I expect they could get a lucky and land a top pick from the back half of the lottery ,but sans another injury, Sexton is not going to let this team lose if he has the keys, nearly as many games as he did in his first few seasons in Cleveland.Now if they are true to tank he wont be running the offense he will be shoved into the same tank mode role Cleveland had him in.

Most drafts look insane until they are not. I think the days of tanking for most teams, including this one after the blow up and one season of it are pretty unattractive. I can see Jazz focus on developing a few young players this season, like Vander and Och as they try to win, not try to lose. I expect they could get a lucky and land a top pick from the back half of the lottery ,but sans another injury, Sexton is not going to let this team lose if he has the keys, nearly as many games as he did in his first few seasons in Cleveland.Now if they are true to tank he wont be running the offense he will be shoved into the same tank mode role Cleveland had him in.
OKC always seems to find a way to tank with SGA on their roster. Funny how those little "injuries" seem to strike them after the all star game every season.

Odds are low for us to get the #1 pick as they are for every team. Here’s a look at a few guys drafted outside the top-2 in the lottery the last 7 years:

Evan Mobley
Scottie Barnes
Josh Giddey
Franz Wagner
LaMelo Ball
Tyrese Haliburton
RJ Barrett
Darius Garland
Tyler Herro
Luka Doncic
Jaren Jackson Jr.
Trae Young
Collin Sexton
Mikal Bridges
Shai Gilgeous-Alexander
Jayson Tatum
De’Aaron Fox
Donovan Mitchell
Bam Adebayo
Jaylen Brown
Jamal Murray
Devin Booker

There will be impact players available wherever we draft we just have to hit on our pick. It’s not the end of the world if we don’t end up with a top-2 pick ESPECIALLY in this draft.
Woah, there are good players who aren't drafted 1 st overall? Thanks for the breaking news.

There will be impact players available wherever we draft we just have to hit on our pick. It’s not the end of the world if we don’t end up with a top-2 pick ESPECIALLY in this draft.

So far, 6 guys are standing out for me as potential-franchise building pieces: Wemby, Scoot, Amen, GG, plus maybe Ausar and Anthony Black. Jazz really need to get one of them.

If they can't do that, then there are several guys who could be #2 option types: Keyonte George (could be similar to Beal or Booker), Cam Whitmore (could be similar to Jaylen Brown), Baba Miller (could be similar the Jaren Jackson Jr.), and Jordan Walsh (could be a Hayward-type glue guy). Nick Smith is an interesting 2-way guard too. It's possible that he could turn out a bit comparable to SGA. He could end up in the first group. His talent level is very high.

If the Jazz can get one of the top-6 prospects, plus either Walsh or Baba with a later pick, that would be a great draft.

Last edited:
Something I didn't realize: Scoot is a full year younger than the Twins. His numbers for the G-League ignite compare really favorably to the twins given his tougher competition and younger age.

I really like Scoot and Amen....but neither of them seem to be able to shoot.

Last edited:
Something I didn't realize: Scoot is a full year younger than the Twins. His numbers for the G-League ignite compare really favorably to the twins given his tougher competition and younger age.

I really like Scoot and Amen....but neither of them seem to be able to shoot.

I think that a few months from now, there may be an argument for Nick Smith ahead of Scoot. Smith isn't the same level athlete, but he's a really good two-way player who can do just about everything at 6'4". He fits the modern game quite nicely.

Vecenie said he isn't super high on the draft outside of the top 2.....I tend to agree but there are so many guys in the next group 1 or 2 are bound to see a stock increase.

I think Wemby and Scoot are both #1 caliber prospects. Neither is generational, but they could be if they play well this season. Behind them, there are 6-8 guys who feel like top 10 picks, but need a big season to look like true top 3 or 5 draft picks.

Don't think the hype is the same as 2014, but to NUMBERICA's point there has never been a prospect like Vic. There have been better prospects over the years, but he is the most unique and carries a new level of intrigue.

Dariq Whitehead will be in the convo for top-5 when he comes back from injury.
I think that is why I like this draft. Guys like Whitehead, Whitmore, Thompsons, and Smith Jr. are all good wing prospects... i think there is some depth. I don't think the draft is generational like Tony Jones says and I don't think its meh like Vecenie is saying. The college season weeds a few guys out and a few guys rise to the top... but I think we have a chance at getting a two way wing with athleticism and good length... finally.

Scoot gonna come for Wemby's neck on a drive... both guys get hurt and out for the year.