What's new

2023 NBA Draft Megathread

Not trying to be a jerk here but I read stuff like this and my first reaction is “if he was a 6’6” PG that shot a high percentage at the rim, got to the line at a high rate, shot well from 3, rebounded well for his size and had a good ast/to ratio…….he’d be a top 4 pick”.

Almost everyone has pretty big flaws you have to project them improving on once they get to the league outside of 1….maybe 2 dudes (Scoot’s shot is not great).

JHS is far from perfect but also far from a finished product. He has the size you crave for the position and a lot to like and has shown up in big games at times.

But you’re doing the same for almost every prospect, no?
Also when I watch college basketball I’m shocked anyone that isn’t a post brute finishes well at the rim. It’s just such a clogged damn toilet.

Wouldn’t take him in the lotto but post lotto early 20s he’s a nice prospect.

Not trying to be a jerk here but I read stuff like this and my first reaction is “if he was a 6’6” PG that shot a high percentage at the rim, got to the line at a high rate, shot well from 3, rebounded well for his size and had a good ast/to ratio…….he’d be a top 4 pick”.

Almost everyone has pretty big flaws you have to project them improving on once they get to the league outside of 1….maybe 2 dudes (Scoot’s shot is not great).

JHS is far from perfect but also far from a finished product. He has the size you crave for the position and a lot to like and has shown up in big games at times.

But you’re doing the same for almost every prospect, no?

Right…but it’s still fair to point out flaws. Getting the rim is one of the biggest things I look at because it’s the most important area on the court in the NBA and it’s not something that’s easily improved. I think it also reflects athleticism. 6’6 is amazing for a PG, but if he’s not able to use his size it’s not worth much is it? It’s one of the first things I look at for all players, and his play around the rim is really poor.

From all reports he’s impressive defensively, but he is a low stocks guy and combined with his very low efficiency I’m not super intrigued by him. I think I’d need to watch more of film and defense especially to be sold on him. Not loving what I see on paper.

Also when I watch college basketball I’m shocked anyone that isn’t a post brute finishes well at the rim. It’s just such a clogged damn toilet.

Wouldn’t take him in the lotto but post lotto early 20s he’s a nice prospect.

NCAA basketball is awful and it does make this stuff hard to evaluate, but JHS is really bad compared to his peers. Even on an NCAA clogged toilet scale it’s pretty bad.

JHS has woeful numbers around the rim. Only shooting 50% at the rim, doesn’t get there a ton in the first place, and also doesn’t get to the line much. Tough living in the NBA, but his pull-up jumper is somewhat promising?
Just a freshman. So far from a finished product. He can develop those things.

But he has good size for his position, he’s smart, plays under control, can shoot the three and his a nice mid-range/pull up game. That’s a solid base to start from.

Just a freshman. So far from a finished product. He can develop those things.

But he has good size for his position, he’s smart, plays under control, can shoot the three and his a nice mid-range/pull up game. That’s a solid base to start from.

I think finishing at the rim/getting to the rim is something that’s harder to develop. It’s more of a natural athleticism/talent thing imo. We have seen players get better….but JHS is starting from a such an extremely low point.

There are things to like about him, especially if his defense is real, but I’m not buying the hype as much as others. I saw Vecine tank him 14th and I thought that was way too high personally.

Hendricks is amazing on paper…but when I watched film he looked a little upright and stiff. Like maybe he could win a dunk contest but can’t stay in front of his man….idk maybe that’s unfair. Clowney looks like a smoother athlete to me but there is a wide shooting gap. Could definitely be convinced he’s a lottery pick by the end of this.

Hendricks is amazing on paper…but when I watched film he looked a little upright and stiff. Like maybe he could win a dunk contest but can’t stay in front of his man….idk maybe that’s unfair. Clowney looks like a smoother athlete to me but there is a wide shooting gap. Could definitely be convinced he’s a lottery pick by the end of this.
Yeah, I agree with the upright thing. He has high hips. Don't think he's going to be a great perimeter defender. More of a weakside rim protector and someone who will have enough length/athleticism to not be a target.

To me he is in the Rashard Lewis kind of mold. Kind of a lesser version of the same prospect a Jabari Smith was last year.