What's new

2023 NBA Draft Megathread

Wilson isn't shooting it well. he's actually in a shooting slump that has lasted about the entire month of february and over the entire season hasn't shot it well. sitting at 52% TS. he's pretty much the definition of a scorer who's not a shooter.
interesting observsation must admit have not noticed him at all lately. he is even less of a prospect than I gave him credit for then lol

You've haven't watched Wallace or Sexton
I have seen enough to think Wallace is not that great of a playmaker enough to say he is much of an upgrade, and he sure as **** aint the same scorer Sexton is yet. I am guessing if the defense is the argument there is some validity there, but against who? Sexton looked very similar defensively at Bama

both leonard miller and sidy have been playing well the last couple months. i think i like sidy a tad more as it looks like his shooting has a better chance of being really good down the road, but both guys have been productive which combined with their length and athleticism is a big deal.
sure the height weight speed thing is real for both, but neither are that good at the game yet at all. both are long term projects

I would rank them:

Bilal
Sidy
Rupert

I'm very numbers based, but it is difficult to compare across different levels of competition.
Bilal is not that good yet may never be. Rupert is all hype and fools gold. Sidy is the only one of the 3 with any chance of getting lottery attention and he is probably a late first level prospect on paper outside of recent play.

The more I've watched this draft the more I am okay with just staying at 13/14 or whatever and taking the BPA. If one of the pgs falls in Wallace or Black great take em and take Hendo with the other pick... if its Hendo and the shooters that are available... take Hendo and either Jett/Dick/Hawkins. Only move up if the price is solid and there is a guy you love.

At 27 take an upside swing... Sidy/Bilal/Miller/Clowney or Lively (yeah I'd take him with Walker... he's another shot blocker and a different roll guy... he ain't Tony Bradley or Udoka). I think there are a couple upperclassmen that could slide that are great prospects in Jones/Smith/Murray. I think we are setup pretty well even if the tank wouldn't start.
Miller will be gone by 3. In fact all those will be gone by 27 save maybe Lively

Numbers on the 3 French wings (per36):

Rayan Rupert - NBL

394 minutes
12.1 / 4.5 / 1.7 / 1.5 / 0.3
36.4% / 25.0% / 70.3%
50.4% TS
19.5 USG
4.4 3PA

Sidy Cissoko - G-League

948 minutes
14.0 / 3.7 / 3.5 / 1.0 / 1.3
45.0% / 35.0% / 65.5%
58.3% TS
17.37 USG
3.7 3PA

Bilal Coulibaly - French 1st League

176 minutes
8.4 / 6.8 / 1.4 / 2.3 / 0.4
60.7% / 55.6% / 20.0%
63.3% TS
10.1 USG
1.8 3PA
Very interesting stats. I love stats. According to those I would go

Coulibaly
Cissoko
Rupert

Personally right now based on a few videos of each

Cissoko - plays in the best league. Also has to spread his ball touches with some serious talented other players.

Coulibaly - is the robin to wembys superman. Wembys gravity should open up for other players to shield.

Rupert - his offensive struggles scare me. Although his FT% is hopeful. He is playing in a weaker league and still not performing well. Defense looks solid

Coulibaly
Cissoko
Rupert

Cissoko - plays in the best league. Also has to spread his ball touches with some serious talented other players.

Coulibaly - is the robin to wembys superman. Wembys gravity should open up for other players to shield.

Rupert - his offensive struggles scare me. Although his FT% is hopeful. He is playing in a weaker league and still not performing well. Defense looks solid
Rupert is the best defensive player on the 2nd best team in his league as a starter.

I think part of it might depend on who would wait a year to come over. Say Bilal or Rupert are there at #27 and are fine with being stashed for a year... go ahead and take one so you can focus on the other 2 rookies and young players we already have while they fill out and develop.

In the past, it was seen as a positive if players would come over more quickly s/o Franz Vazquez. But IMO, it's better if they stay stashed for a year because it basically gives you a year of development without it using up a year on the rookie deal.

My idea scenario would be to draft Coulibaly (we'll see where that ends up), let him star for Mets next year with Wemby gone, and then bring him over.

Miller will be gone by 3. In fact all those will be gone by 27 save maybe Lively
I don’t think Leonard Miller will be gone by 3… I doubt all of Sidy/Bilal/Clowney will all be gone by 27… if they are then there is likely someone I like in the top 20 that is available.

In the past, it was seen as a positive if players would come over more quickly s/o Franz Vazquez. But IMO, it's better if they stay stashed for a year because it basically gives you a year of development without it using up a year on the rookie deal.

My idea scenario would be to draft Coulibaly (we'll see where that ends up), let him star for Mets next year with Wemby gone, and then bring him over.
I could see the Nets Blazers or Pacers getting the jump on Bilal if he is a draft and stash guy since they all have multiple first round picks- unless the blazers make the playoffs.

Otherwise I can see him being available at 27 and us taking him being really plausible.

Coulibaly
Cissoko
Rupert

One thing to keep in mind with Coulibaly is that he's split time between the U21 league and the senior team. With the senior team, he's basically just a role player with a very minimal role on offense. In the youth league, he is dominating as a high usage scorer....and that's the factor that excites me and gives him the edge over the others for me. It's a little unfair because the other two don't have the luxury of playing at a lower level where they can go crazy, but I love what I'm seeing there. From what I've read, it seems as though Bilal has always been a little behind Rupert and Sidy, but I also think he's a little more raw and will have the most accelerated development.

I could see the Nets Blazers or Pacers getting the jump on Bilal if he is a draft and stash guy since they all have multiple first round picks- unless the blazers make the playoffs.

Otherwise I can see him being available at 27 and us taking him being really plausible.

I feel strongly enough about him that I would take him with one of the first two picks ands stash him. He's my Tay Henny....if it were me drafting I wouldn't try to get cute and just do everything to ensure we get him. But I do agree that it is plausible that he's there at 27.

It seems as though he will be a guy on the bubble to decide if he even declares or not. Givony has him in the next draft as a top 10 pick. I would throw out a first round promise to his agent to and see what that coversation yields.

I don’t know I see that Bilal would allow himself to be “stashed”.

I don’t know his club deal but I doubt it’s a long term deal with a high buyout like the traditional/past draft and stash dudes.

Just a guess but I’m inclined to think if he is drafted, there is no “stashing”.

I feel strongly enough about him that I would take him with one of the first two picks ands stash him. He's my Tay Henny....if it were me drafting I wouldn't try to get cute and just do everything to ensure we get him. But I do agree that it is plausible that he's there at 27.

It seems as though he will be a guy on the bubble to decide if he even declares or not. Givony has him in the next draft as a top 10 pick. I would throw out a first round promise to his agent to and see what that coversation yields.
One thing to watch with DA. He has successfully understood which teams were doing what in the draft... so if there was ever someone that could nail this dance its DA.

Examples - Fultz/Tatum dance he did. He snatched up Matisse because he knew Philly loved him... then got a couple picks because of it. There was also the Winslow thing... now he didn't get it done and Hornets actually took the wrong guy... but he knew where he had to get to select his dude. I'm ready for the masterclass he displays on draft night. He's good at gathering reliable intel.

I'm not sold on Bilal... I haven't tried to be sold on him either so I just don't know on him. I probably would not take him with the Minny or Utah picks.

I don’t know I see that Bilal would allow himself to be “stashed”.

I don’t know his club deal but I doubt it’s a long term deal with a high buyout like the traditional/past draft and stash dudes.

Just a guess but I’m inclined to think if he is drafted, there is no “stashing”.
The motivation would likely be that he would end up a second round prospect or that he would languish in the G League for a year... but yeah he may not be inclined to agree unless there were other motivations.