What's new

2023 NBA Draft Megathread

At this point you just have to really hope against all logic that these close game performances are a real, tangible thing. And not just season to season randomness. Because that’s the difference between top 7 odds and where we find ourselves now.

What a bummer if we are not discernibly better next year, record wise or otherwise. Just because we miss out on a half dozen dice roll wins that we ended up getting this year, the worst possible time.
I’m fairly sure performance in close games is one of those flukey things… want to say some stats nerds have broken it down. We will see though. I’d expect us to go closer to .500 next year.

If you project him as a center it isnt. However he has been adamant that he doesnt want to play C in the NBA.

I think he wants to be something along the mold of KD. Problem is KD was a 50/40/80 shooter already at that age.
Not being KD doesn’t mean someone sucks.

30% for a 7’5” 19 year old is still fine, whether or not he plays the four or five.

Everything is fixed if they just do the Conley, Vando, etc. deal before the year even starts. Lauri, Kessler, Ochai, led wins are much easier to swallow. It’s that dumb *** hot streak we had to start the season that is the problem. Those games should have been young inexperienced guys cutting their teeth in the league. We could have started 3-15 or something. We’d have top 5 odds locked up. And watching those guys grow and get better and be competitive at this point in the season would have just been fun.

Everything is fixed if they just do the Conley, Vando, etc. deal before the year even starts. Lauri, Kessler, Ochai, led wins are much easier to swallow. It’s that dumb *** hot streak we had to start the season that is the problem. Those games should have been young inexperienced guys cutting their teeth in the league. We could have started 3-15 or something. We’d have top 5 odds locked up. And watching those guys grow and get better and be competitive at this point in the season would have just been fun.
Maybe, but it looks like Will has a development process he wants to stick to that isnt just immediately throwing guys into the fire.

If you believe in the process not mattering, just the total amount of reps, we definitely took the wrong approach.

He's going to become 6'10?

If Slow Mo was as athletic as Anthony Black he would be an all star. He's super smooth, skilled, and intelligent with the ball. TBH, the only real offense comparison between the two is the lack of shooting. Finding a role for Anthony Black in the NBA is a big question mark. Not sure he's good enough with or without the ball.

Maybe, but it looks like Will has a development process he wants to stick to that isnt just immediately throwing guys into the fire.

If you believe in the process not mattering, just the total amount of reps, we definitely took the wrong approach.
If these players all continue their development on a similar trajectory. And we see it again with next years rookie class… I guess I can accept that. If Hardy really is that dude, then let him cook.

I wouldn't get too down on Black for his poor tourney performance, especially at the rim. His shooting at the rim this season hasn't been amazing, but it's relatively good for NCAA basketball and he gets to the rim and the FT line at a high right. I think he will do just fine attacking the rim and his passing is decent enough. It will take some development but I think he will be passable which is the reason why I still have him in my top 10.

I wouldn’t be too upset if we took Cason Wallace with one of our picks. Obviously, I’d want another wing/athlete or two from this draft. But he’d probably be pretty solid with our second or third picks. At the very least, he’s Pat Beverley with the potential to be Jrue Holiday, right?

I still remember the interview DA did where he said the 2024 draft was better and that was before this draft class played poorly.

I wouldn’t be too upset if we took Cason Wallace with one of our picks. Obviously, I’d want another wing/athlete or two from this draft. But he’d probably be pretty solid with our second or third picks. At the very least, he’s Pat Beverley with the potential to be Jrue Holiday, right?

I like him, maybe just a little boring? But he's good and he's been playing a lot through injury so he can be even better. I think he has a high floor, he will be a Beverly/Melton type in his worst outcomes. Don't think he has the athleticism to be like Jrue, but I think he ends up in the Derrick White/Marcus Smart category. I think the only real knock on him is that he doesn't have that obvious high end potential, but plenty of guys have overcome that label to become star players.

It really wasn’t… they lost by 1 after leading almost the whole game. If we are good enough to beat them even at a weakened state… we are likely not falling to the range where we have any sort of good odds.

We just aren’t ****** enough and are apparently too proud to resort to levels of tankiness to get where we need to.
I thought you’d be fine with our young guys leading us to wins.

Not being KD doesn’t mean someone sucks.

30% for a 7’5” 19 year old is still fine, whether or not he plays the four or five.
Let's not start moving the goalposts here. Wemby is supposed to be one of the best prospects ever, if not THE best. Instant franchise changer, instant star, true generational talent. Normal rules do not apply to him. After all, this is what we've been told all season. I mean... if he's just another very tall kid who doesn't really have an NBA position and who may one day become a respectable outside shooter... what are we even doing? Feels like I'm taking crazy pills.

30% from the perimeter sucks. Particularly in Europe. The shot itself is shorter, defenders closing you out are slower and smaller and less aggressive. When you add the fact that at 7'5'', pretty much every shot by Wemby is wide open... yikes.

In the NBA, nobody's bothering to guard him on the perimeter if he's shooting 30%.

Last edited: