What's new

2023 NBA Draft Megathread

My other favorite non-tanking argument is - The only team that has tanked an won a title is the Spurs. It gives a super limited view of what tanking is and adds all these qualifiers...BUT we been a franchise for 49 years and won zero titles... the won 4 because of tanking. So yeah I'll burn a season to get a 14% chance at a guy that can do the thing Duncan did (I know its a maybe). The consolation prizes are also very good. When you are already bad there is no reason to short your chances by 50% to be respectable.

Jason Hart should probably be a NBA coach sometime relatively soon if he can get a G-League team of young NBA hopefuls and non-NBA vets playing this well together.

Vic blocking shots into assist for 3's for the other team. Doesnt have Gobert's shotblocking directional awareness.

Jason Hart should probably be a NBA coach sometime relatively soon if he can get a G-League team of young NBA hopefuls and non-NBA vets playing this well together.

I'm actually shocked that G-League Ignite is competing in these games and won the first one. Half the team wasn't even put together until a couple weeks ago IIRC. They also have a bunch of players that are clearly not at the same level (looking at you Leonard Miller) getting tons of reps and opportunity.

Leonard Miller is the latest tall athletic looking guy people declare as a guy with guard skills based off highlights vs low competition but the moment they play against comp just look like a non-descript player.

This play is what I'm talking about... he did the hard thing, crossed the guy over and instead of putting his shoulder in and going to the basket he did that weird fading jumper to the baseline... why? So much talent... needs to be focused and channeled the right way.

And of course then makes the 30 footer... because ... why not?

It's crazy. This is actually one of the reasons why I was somewhat skeptical....like why does he take the hardest shots possible? Doesn't matter when he's making them though.
It matters a lot that he's making them. The ability to make stupid shots is what separates teams in the playoffs as offensive sets fall to increasingly dialed in defensive scouting.

It's why the obvious-talent component rises to the top as reliably as it does (relative to other sports' pro leagues).

It matters a lot that he's making them. The ability to make stupid shots is what separates teams in the playoffs as offensive sets fall to increasingly dialed in defensive scouting.

It's why the obvious-talent component rises to the top as reliably as it does (relative to other sports' pro leagues).

Of course shot making matters....but I will also say that what makes a star a star is the ability to get high percentage shots for himself and his teammates. That component has been severely lacking from Wemby's game so far in his career....but not necessarily in Vegas. He played drastically different in Vegas than he did in France. I think the most telling thing is the FTA. He took 28 FT's in two games in Vegas. He took 38 FT's total last season in 33 games and 570+ minutes. I hope he keeps that up. Can't be a superstar player pull up jumpers only, no matter how cool it looks.

Here's where I'd place Wemby and Scoot as best prospects since LeBron:

1. LeBron James
2. Greg Oden
3. Kevin Durant
4. Luka Doncic
5. Anthony Davis
6. Zion Williamson
7. Victor Wemanyama
8. Scoot Henderson
9. John Wall
10. Derrick Rose
If we're trying to remove biases of what they've become in the NBA I'd probably go:
1. LeBron James
2. Victor Wembanyama
3. Anthony Davis
4. Zion Williamson
5. Greg Oden
6. Kevin Durant
7. Derrick Rose
8. John Wall
9. Andrew Wiggins
10. Blake Griffin

Of course shot making matters....but I will also say that what makes a star a star is the ability to get high percentage shots for himself and his teammates. That component has been severely lacking from Wemby's game so far in his career....but not necessarily in Vegas. He played drastically different in Vegas than he did in France. I think the most telling thing is the FTA. He took 28 FT's in two games in Vegas. He took 38 FT's total last season in 33 games and 570+ minutes. I hope he keeps that up. Can't be a superstar player pull up jumpers only, no matter how cool it looks.
Dog hes 7'5. He can just jump in the air and it's a high quality shot.

And no **** he played different in a more up tempo spaced game that is closer to NBA style.

You are way overthinking Vics game to try and make a point that isn't really there. He's a GOAT prospect.

If Vic stays relatively healthy throughout his career and lands on a franchise that builds well around him he's probably the best player of all time.

I honestly want to stop thinking about Victor after today because if the Jazz have a bottom 3 record and don't get him, it will be a worse feeling than the Clippers game.

I'm just going to get excited about Amen Thompson or someone like that

For sure. And I am a disciple of fundamentals, just wanted to highlight the benefits (and importance) of making wild shots.