What's new

2023 NBA Draft Megathread

A.SILVER insists teams not tank for Victor. Interesting why doesn't he want to bring him to any small market city like UT or SA.
If Hardy and Ainge miss on him because win every game mode we're done for decades.

A.SILVER insists teams not tank for Victor. Interesting why doesn't he want to bring him to any small market city like UT or SA.
If Hardy and Ainge miss on him because win every game mode we're done for decades.

Pro Tip- Even if we go 0-82 it is still a long shot that we get him. I'm not sure people are being honest with themselves about that.

I honestly want to stop thinking about Victor after today because if the Jazz have a bottom 3 record and don't get him, it will be a worse feeling than the Clippers game.

I'm just going to get excited about Amen Thompson or someone like that
We are likely to fall somewhere between 6 and 9 in the draft order, so get excited about players that might fall there. Getting excited about what is an actual lottery is just as productive as getting excited about the real lottery. "Oh man, they missed my numbers by just a couple, look, I had 41, 38 and 16 and they drew 40, 36 and 15, SO CLOSE!! I better buy a lot more tickets, at this rate I'll hit it next week!" Just don't do it.

Pro Tip- Even if we go 0-82 it is still a long shot that we get him. I'm not sure people are being honest with themselves about that.
Yes but it is all relative. 0-82, 20-62, and 30-52 can be drastically different odds for the same prize. The record itself matters less than the rank. We need to finish in the bottom 3 to maximize our chances of winning the lottery. 0-82 just guarantees we get a spot in the top of the lottery draw. And it would be a hell of a record to set.

Other than making the jazz nba championship level contenders, just think what he’d do to put Utah on the map. If we won the chance to draft him the jazz would all of a sudden be playing almost weekly on national tv, shows like ESPN First take or ESPN get up or undisputed would be talking jazz daily. Then other players would be taking less money to sign here then we’d win chips.

We must suck for Vic this year.
This is exactly why we won't get him.

Dear Utah Jazz fans,

Oh no, the lottery just didn't go your way! I mean the computer program WE control to determine who gets the best picks, somehow picked San Antonio, Houston, and OKC over Utah. Even though Utah had the worst record and Houston was such a slim chance to move into the top 3 at the 9th spot. Such a bad break! Darn it! Now, we will admittedly get better viewership and more money down the road as we get the rest of the texas bandwagoners and long-term Spurs/Houston fan-bases more excited, and of course better TV deals down the road as those franchises again see decades of success. And build up plenty of hype to finally move OKC to a bigger market. Oh, I feel so bad Utah didn't win this thing, but I guess we will have to take all the increased money the NBA will generate from this travesty as a consolation prize for poor old Utah just barely missing out...again. Hey, at least we didn't make you just give up the best prospect of several generations again, like they did back in the 80's when Utah got their lone and only franchise #1 pick....which of course went to the Lakers! You can do good things with the 4th pick! Remember Deron Williams! No reason you can't get back to the 6th or even 5th seed in a few years! How exciting!!

Signed,

Adam Silver

He would be happy to bring him to San Antonio. SA has been such a popular franchise for 2 decades now the money from the Texas fan-base is solid, not to mention internationally. And much better on national TV. It would be a great feel-good story for the NBA to have the Spurs on the edge of a rebuild grab the best talent in a generation and get right back on top.

That's true. But you still want to finish with a bottom 3 record so that you have a 14% chance.
Everyone listen… most of the people here can do math… pointing out it’s a long shot is fine… so is winning a title… if you can double your odds it makes it less of a long shot… if you can double that shot, then you EFFING DO IT!!!

The other part is some folks are comparing the draft to the MJ Olajuwon or Bird Magic or Shaq/Mourning drafts. You get Scoot or Wemby and you got your centerpiece… full stop. You get 3 or 4 and you got a good shot at an all star. It’s a loaded draft. The Wemby stuff was somewhat theoretical until this week when he melted brains. Now owners should be falling over themselves if they are a bottom 8 team to improve their odds. 27% chance at the trophy with a consolation prize of Amen or Smith Jr or Whitehead is worth burning a season.

It’s time to get dirty and shameless… hire @Hearsky ‘s mom she can show you how. Tankin ain’t easy but we gots to do it.

Everyone listen… most of the people here can do math… pointing out it’s a long shot is fine… so is winning a title… if you can double your odds it makes it less of a long shot… if you can double that shot, then you EFFING DO IT!!!

The other part is some folks are comparing the draft to the MJ Olajuwon or Bird Magic or Shaq/Mourning drafts. You get Scoot or Wemby and you got your centerpiece… full stop. You get 3 or 4 and you got a good shot at an all star. It’s a loaded draft. The Wemby stuff was somewhat theoretical until this week when he melted brains. Now owners should be falling over themselves if they are a bottom 8 team to improve their odds. 27% chance at the trophy with a consolation prize of Amen or Smith Jr or Whitehead is worth burning a season.

It’s time to get dirty and shameless… hire @Hearsky ‘s mom she can show you how. Tankin ain’t easy but we gots to do it.
Yup. Since the league flattened the odds in 2019 one of the three teams with the 14% odds has gotten the 1st pick in 3/4 years.

2019: 3, 5, 6
2020: 1, 2, 5
2021: 1, 2, 5
2022: 1, 3, 5

This is exactly why we won't get him.

Dear Utah Jazz fans,

Oh no, the lottery just didn't go your way! I mean the computer program WE control to determine who gets the best picks, somehow picked San Antonio, Houston, and OKC over Utah. Even though Utah had the worst record and Houston was such a slim chance to move into the top 3 at the 9th spot. Such a bad break! Darn it! Now, we will admittedly get better viewership and more money down the road as we get the rest of the texas bandwagoners and long-term Spurs/Houston fan-bases more excited, and of course better TV deals down the road as those franchises again see decades of success. And build up plenty of hype to finally move OKC to a bigger market. Oh, I feel so bad Utah didn't win this thing, but I guess we will have to take all the increased money the NBA will generate from this travesty as a consolation prize for poor old Utah just barely missing out...again. Hey, at least we didn't make you just give up the best prospect of several generations again, like they did back in the 80's when Utah got their lone and only franchise #1 pick....which of course went to the Lakers! You can do good things with the 4th pick! Remember Deron Williams! No reason you can't get back to the 6th or even 5th seed in a few years! How exciting!!

Signed,

Adam Silver
You sure know how to crush all my hopes and dreams, just once could you just agree with me… ya idiot!!:p

Yup. Since the league flattened the odds in 2019 one of the three teams with the 14% odds has gotten the 1st pick in 3/4 years.

2019: 3, 5, 6
2020: 1, 2, 5
2021: 1, 2, 5
2022: 1, 3, 5
Its weird when the math plays out like... well math.

The good news is the math gives you the best odds at the 1 of the best prospects in the last 20 years and the best odds at another prospect who is like top 3-4 prospect in the last 5 years. The next tier of guys are all great building blocks too. ****ing around and landing 6th because the draft is 8-9 deep is cute an all until you drop a spot in the lotto and are left taking whatever the other teams passed on... its literally what happened last time we drafted this high and you end up with Exum... ya!

MJ, Lebron, Tim Duncan, Shaq... you know what those guys do for your franchise? Give me a 4% increase in the chance that we can get that guy... I'll burn a season and risk a culture issue all damn day. Vic by all accounts is a very intelligent and good kid... will absolutely be the type talentwise and mentally that will propel the culture.

Then you add all the draft assets we'd have stacked on top of bringing in Wemby and I don't know that you've ever seen a team with that prospect and that treasure chest to work with to build around him long term.

However bad it hurts to sell off Mike, Vando, Beasley, JC at a discount it is worth it. However bad it hurts to watch THT play basketball and JB struggle and Ochai learn on the job... it is worth it. However embarrassing it is to shut down sexton with knee soreness or Lauri with plantar fasciitis or rest KO because of a migraine or give him 3 months of paternity leave for the birth of his second cousin... it is worth it.

We need to reach day hooker levels of shame to out tank one of OKC, Houston of SA... at very least put ourselves in pole position at 4th. It is worth it.