What's new

2023 NBA Draft Megathread

The thing that gives me hope with GG is that he cried when they lost in the sec tournament. He must really care because I think most players would be checked out emotionally by then. So I have some hope for his development. I just don't think he is a top 10 talent though, but still potentially a good player.

I'm curious to see how Jordan Hawkins measures out. First impression is that he's like a slightly bigger Malik Monk. I'm guessing he's in the 6'3" range w/o shoes.

I think he is boom or bust. If he ends up on a team like Charlotte then he’s Shabazz Mohammed. If he ends up here? Look the **** out because he will be held accountable here and he will be joining a culture stronger than the allure of his talent.

I could stomach him with the Jazz’s earliest pick because at least it’s a swing and the Jazz should make those. I would be pleased if they drafted him with the 2nd pick. I would be over the moon if they got him with the Sixers pick but it is inconceivable to me that he falls that far (though, maybe trading up from the Sixers pick is doable).

The talent is undeniable.
I think Danny will value his talent. He likes those wings with elite size and strong skillset.

@KqWIN Jaden McDaniels was rubbish his freshman season.

Yeah, if you read I actually mentioned him in my post. My thought on these guys are that they actually need to find a different kind of role to play in the NBA. Jaden McDaniels was kind of a KD wannabe at Washington, and he wasn’t very good at it. He completely changed his game in the NBA and became a great defender with a very limited offensive game. Jaden McDaniels may have been seen as a high potential guy because he could get some buckets off the dribble, but truthfully he probably would be out of the league if he went that way with his development. The bucket getting stuff has had almost zero contribution to his success as an NBA player.

He is an example as why I don’t see these disappointment guys as high ceiling. The only ones who seem to make it are the ones who drop the ego and become a role player. You can only develop so much and in order to do so you’re probably going to have to get onto the floor. In order to get on the floor you probably can’t be an inefficient chucked with nothing else.

For GG, his easiest path to getting on the court is not going to make a humongous jump as a shot creator….where he goes from terrible in college to good in the NBA. It’s going to be to strip his game down to a few key areas like McDaniels where he can be effective. His shooting around the basket and from three weren’t good, but not terrible. Maybe if he can up the hustle and be reasonably efficient without chucking he can make it. His attitude does not inspire much confidence, however.

Let’s say he does commit to this high usage bucket getter archetype….even if he gets good at it, that doesn’t mean he’s a high end player. Plenty of really good offensive players that aren’t high end players.

Jordan Hawkins is really ****ing good. I think he has played himself into the lottery. I think there is a solid top-7 at the moment and starting at 8 it starts to get really interesting.

I’m actually happy Jaden McDanieks was brought up again, because that draft really made me rethink about what we should consider things like “potential”, “low/high ceiling”, and “boom or bust”.

Take a gander at TJ’s writing on McDaniels and Bane in this article. I’m not here to roast TJ, TJ’s opinion reflects the consensus on these topics and it does make sense on the surface.

McDaniels: Boom or bust guy with very high talent levels because of his size+shot making combo. He did mention defensive upside as well, but the meat of McDaniels’ case was that he was a 6’10 athletic guy who can get off shots like a guard. But the rawness (aka crappy play) led this to be a major question mark….hence the boom or bust label.

Bane: Fantastic hard working player with a highly valued skillset, but “will never be a star” because he’s old, not an exceptional athlete, and poor measurables.

Both guys made it, but it’s funny that McDaniels made it by being a total role players and it was Bane who made by being a big shot maker. You could say this is a one off, but I find that a lot of guys who are pigeonholed into role players like Bane are the ones who really pop. Likewise, the boom or bust guys often find themselves in the middle because they focus on a few things that allow them to stick in the league.

I hope this explains my thinking on GG. I think most people would point to GG/NSJ as a high upside player and someone like….idk Jacquez or Sasser as lower potential due to age/size. But if I was going to bet on who has the best chance at being an all star I’d probably go with the old guys.

Jordan Hawkins is really ****ing good. I think he has played himself into the lottery. I think there is a solid top-7 at the moment and starting at 8 it starts to get really interesting.

The only thing we know for certain is that the draft boards are going to look a hell of a lot different in a few months from now. I could definitely see Hawkins being a riser due to his tournament.

I think Malik Beasley is a fair, modest comparison from him. But what’s different is his movement shooting. When he moves around it buys so much constant pressure on the def new. I think he can be like Redick/Buddy in this way. No hate to the Dick lovers but Hawkins is my pick for the best shooter in the draft. His jumper is just filthy.

remember the question about who we want to go high/get hype in hopes that another player drops? Hawkins is high on that list for me.

Hawkins’ shot has poor arc and I’m not sure what else he does on the court. Fine height but overall seems small.

I just don’t personally see much of an NBA player. If that shot translates then he will find a way for sure.

Hawkins’ shot has poor arc and I’m not sure what else he does on the court. Fine height but overall seems small.

I just don’t personally see much of an NBA player. If that shot translates then he will find a way for sure.
Doesn’t show any advanced ball handling skills. I hope he skyrockets up the draft board to push someone else down to us. I do think he is a very gifted shooter and has great off ball movement, but I have concerns about his size as well and effectiveness in 2 spot in nba. I could envision role playing minutes off bench with length career doing short minute stints. To me seems like a Reggie Miller or rip Hamilton type of player with his movement and shot seeking….but those players were both >6’7” I believe