What's new

2023 NBA Draft Megathread

Like if the shooting doesn't work for Walker... is he Onyeka Okongwu (but hopefully with a lot less injuries)?

I feel like Jarace is a 4/5 because he can and Hendricks probably can't. Jarace is a tank, yes he can guard 3's, but he can guard bigs too. Offensively, Jarace isn't special as a 3 but bringing the playmaking, ball handling, switching, and shooting to the 4/5 position while maintaining all the big man value is what makes him exciting. He could get by as 3, I suppose, but he wouldn't stand out from a skill standpoint. The other guy he reminds me of that I didn't mention is Paul Millsap. If you put Paul Millsap at the 3 it would be fine, but it's obviously better to bring the skill to the 4/5 position without compromising any big man value.

In my eyes Hendricks has enough shooting to be fine as a wing who also provides some big man value, but too thin to truly be considered a big full time. It's that added big man value that gives him an edge on other wings even if the wings have better traditional wing skills.

It comes down to defense. Walker can get in a low stance and stay with guys. Walker is going to be a guy who you put him on the star wing. Not switching, but main assignment.

Hendricks defensive strength is going to be help side defense and should be a decent switching defensive player, but he won't be on Walkers level of lockdown capability. Also think Walker will be a better help side defender as well.

Shooting is obviously on Hendricks side, and probably will always be (assuming he's good enough to be on the court, which Walker obviously will be). I do think Walker will end up being a good shooter though.
I think Jerace Walker is the better player, and I still think he’s a 3/4 instead of a 4/5 - especially with Kessler in the lineup.

I have him in my top 4, but I think the Jazz have to jump up in the lottery to get him. I think Hendricks has a great shot at being a top 10 player in this draft and I like him more than all of the guards on my list. If all the other guys that I like are gone, he’s my favorite still left (although I think Cason Wallace and Grady Dick would both be decent picks as well.)

Also, I’m not nearly as high on the Thompson twins as others are, so I hope they get picked early and push down players that I do like better.

I’d rather get Hendricks with the Jazz pick and hope one of the guards I like drops to my next pick. If they don’t, I’m willing to reach on a high upside guy like GG, Sidy, Bilal or Leonard Miller instead. If all my upside guys are gone by 27, I’m going to pick my highest rated upperclassman and hope he dropped because of his age.

lol Jarace was used out of position in college. Hendricks and him are not at all the same archetype either. I would be happy with either and don't expect us to get either of them.
If Hendricks has moved up and Jarace down in the overall actual scouting reports, they will still be higher than our picks sans us trading up or getting unlikely luck

Does anyone think Brandin Podz can be a PG?

That's where he can potentially have a lot of value for me. When you watch his highlights it's not too hard to see him as a NBA PG offensively. Defensively he has work to do as to not get blown by constantly, but he at least would give you a big time rebounder at the PG spot

He's someone Ive spent the last few days watching more of and think I've probably dismissed him too much.

I think that's fair, and it's a reason I like him. Love Big O.
But there is also a reason he hasn't been able to be a starter... not good enough to anchor a defense... can't shoot well enough to work alongside Capela. I think most would consider that a disappointment.

Does anyone think Brandin Podz can be a PG?

That's where he can potentially have a lot of value for me. When you watch his highlights it's not too hard to see him as a NBA PG offensively. Defensively he has work to do as to not get blown by constantly, but he at least would give you a big time rebounder at the PG spot

He's someone Ive spent the last few days watching more of and think I've probably dismissed him too much.
He just looks so slow to me.

But there is also a reason he hasn't been able to be a starter... not good enough to anchor a defense... can't shoot well enough to work alongside Capela. I think most would consider that a disappointment.

Eh, I wouldn't consider that a disappointment. Okongwu was drafted 6th and I don't consider him a disappointment. I think the thing keeping him from being a starter is that there is another starter level C on the roster, I also think he's just better than Capela already. He is a starting level C in my eyes.

He just looks so slow to me.
True, but some of that is white guy bias.

We are watching Reaves be a NBA PG right now with a lot of early success. (Guilty of white on white comps for this one)

Reaves measured 6'5.75 in shoes with a 6'6 wingspan and a 8'5 standing reach.

If I had to guess I would say Podz is a full inch below that, but with proportionally longer arms. He's also way further ahead of Reaves in terms of timeline and has better stocks (not great, but decent, better than JHS too).

What does JHS do so well or project to do so well that is clearly better than Podz? Shooting isn't a contest between the two. I've heard JHS is known as a defender, but the dude has dumpster juice for stocks. Passing is probably a wash.

The draft is kind of weak on PGs so maybe I'm trying to manufacture one here, but I think he has sneaky upside at that position. Oh, and he comes from the same school as Steve Nash. I know that means nothing, but it's a fun fact.

Eh, I wouldn't consider that a disappointment. Okongwu was drafted 6th and I don't consider him a disappointment. I think the thing keeping him from being a starter is that there is another starter level C on the roster, I also think he's just better than Capela already. He is a starting level C in my eyes.
I think the injuries there aren't something I should overlook either... he'd be viewed differently if he had stayed healthy the whole time.

f Walker's shot never comes around the point still stands... he's likely a 5 at that point more than a 4.

True, but some of that is white guy bias.

We are watching Reaves be a NBA PG right now with a lot of early success. (Guilty of white on white comps for this one)

Reaves measured 6'5.75 in shoes with a 6'6 wingspan and a 8'5 standing reach.

If I had to guess I would say Podz is a full inch below that, but with proportionally longer arms. He's also way further ahead of Reaves in terms of timeline and has better stocks (not great, but decent, better than JHS too).

What does JHS do so well or project to do so well that is clearly better than Podz? Shooting isn't a contest between the two. I've heard JHS is known as a defender, but the dude has dumpster juice for stocks. Passing is probably a wash.

The draft is kind of weak on PGs so maybe I'm trying to manufacture one here, but I think he has sneaky upside at that position. Oh, and he comes from the same school as Steve Nash. I know that means nothing, but it's a fun fact.
what do yo mean by stocks?

I should probably know what you are talking about, but I dont.

I thought you would :p The TL/DR is: There are 13 guys I'd be thrilled to get with our first two picks. 19 guys I'd be content with for our first two picks. 26 guys I'd be content with for our 3 picks.

Bilal is the guy I know I'm irrationally high on, and he's still a guy I'm thinking rises as the draft gets closer. He and Bufkin are two that are most obviously ranked too low for me at the moment for me. If it turns out we can snag him with the Philly pick that would be golden. I'd give him the promise right now and ask him to not meet any other teams.

I convinced we have to draft a PG because I'm convinced anyone that plays PG for Will Hardy and with Lauri is just gonna be great.
The Jazz works well with the French agent that was Rudy's agent. I can see them intentionally trying to get a couple of these French guys. It crazy that 3 of them could be in the top 15 of the draft. They could be underrated by the NBA market. They might be better than most of these college players.

Are you sleeping on Ansley Almonor FDU as our Philly pick??? I think you are lol
aonther sleeper for that spot is the late riser Alex Karaban. I would pick either of these 2 in a heartbeat of they are there at 25-30 and never regret it.
I sure as hell would not use that pick on somebody like most mocks have us doing

First of all... this cult has two leaders @Bodhi and I are working together to brainwash people. I literally said the same thing.. Hendo is a 3/4 and Walker is a 4/5. I am skeptical on Walker's shooting. I don't have any concerns on Hendo there. He shoots it set, off some movement and even does a little work in the midrange with it off a dribble or two. I think he has less creation ability than Jarace, but kind of like Julius Randle... like the creation is good for his size but how much of it do you really want?

I think Hendo isn't like some brilliant passer but he makes quick good reads and moves the ball along. I think he will have success as a roll man and as a pick and pop guy. The helpside rim protection is real. He has great instincts and anticipation. He stays with perimeter guys pretty well.

Here is what my hope is for Taylor... I think he can be a John Collins type but if John was excellent at the things you valued most - shooting, secondary rim protection, etc. I know its dumb but he seems like a humble, smart kid, who seems very coachable. A guy that buys into UCF and raves about his coach and the opportunity he was given... versus a dude like GG.... like i think you give this kid to Hardy and the development team and they can do some **** to focus on his positives and tease out more as a playmaker and roll man.
co-sign