What's new

2023 NBA Draft Megathread

For me only Amen or Jarace would wet my whistle enough to think about doing that for 7. It would be a thought.
Maybe, but if we hit on both 9-16 that’s huge for this team. We need depth then add the fact we can still make moves to land a Brown Doncic caliber player. If you can add depth while adding someone like brown. That’s far more valuable.

I think the highest we could move up with 9/16 is 6 I think and even then I don’t know if they’d do it. Like HH mentioned I’d probably rather just trade our 2025 Cleveland 1st with 9 to move up instead.

If JHS is in play at 16, Podz should be in play at 16. I don't think they are that different as athletes, and Podz is much better at doing the things athleticism is supposed to help you with.

I think the highest we could move up with 9/16 is 6 I think and even then I don’t know if they’d do it. Like HH mentioned I’d probably rather just trade our 2025 Cleveland 1st with 9 to move up instead.

I still think that if we move up, it will be for Cam. He is definitely Ainge's type. I was really high on him on a first pass, during the second pass the concerns became more real.

I think he looks like a solid athlete to me to make it. It really comes down to how much of his offensive game translates. His rebounding and steal rate are just really good indicators of his activity level defensively. I think him and Anthony Black would make for a nasty summer league duo.
I'm going to have to rewatch him. Rebounding and steals are things that generally translate and are indicators. He may just be super smart and see the game... which is obviously good to. He just looked slow and I wonder if he has the issues like Ty Jerome has in the league. (Ty didn't have the rebounds... I know). And maybe its a rich mans version of Ty and Ty has kinda figured out how to stick in the league now (I think).

I think some of the rebounding stuff is weird. He consistently gets a lot of them but then had some monster games against "WTF University" that have padded them just a bit.

When I watched him the first time he kinda reminded me of Goran Dragic. Goran was never a speed demon either. I still wouldn't reach for him at 16. I think there is some opportunity to move up or back and capture some value if we want to ensure getting this guy.

If JHS is in play at 16, Podz should be in play at 16. I don't think they are that different as athletes, and Podz is much better at doing the things athleticism is supposed to help you with.
but what if I hate JHS and don't want him at all

I'm going to have to rewatch him. Rebounding and steals are things that generally translate and are indicators. He may just be super smart and see the game... which is obviously good to. He just looked slow and I wonder if he has the issues like Ty Jerome has in the league. (Ty didn't have the rebounds... I know). And maybe its a rich mans version of Ty and Ty has kinda figured out how to stick in the league now (I think).

I think some of the rebounding stuff is weird. He consistently gets a lot of them but then had some monster games against "WTF University" that have padded them just a bit.

When I watched him the first time he kinda reminded me of Goran Dragic. Goran was never a speed demon either. I still wouldn't reach for him at 16. I think there is some opportunity to move up or back and capture some value if we want to ensure getting this guy.
Ty also had poor size. Podz has solid size imo.

I think he is a bust. Just cause another team made a poor decision and a poor trade doesn't make exum a good player or a good pick
That’s the thing though, the Cavs didn’t really make a poor decision. They took a flier and got 2nds and what they sent out was an expiring player that they weren’t going to retain. The Cavs decision was fine, giving Exum a second contract was insanity.

I still think that if we move up, it will be for Cam. He is definitely Ainge's type. I was really high on him on a first pass, during the second pass the concerns became more real.
I actually went the opposite way with him. The more I've watched and looked at Cam the more I'm convinced he's being slept on a bit.

Ty also had poor size. Podz has solid size imo.
Measurements will be part of the deal with him. If he's a pg I think it could be great... he will be there at 28 or there is a spot in the 20s we can trade into to get him if DA and JZ are convinced.

I highly doubt he will be there. He’s going to be a riser.
I think he’s the type that is generally the opposite. I feel like risers tend to be the guys whose measureables pop and who excel at one-on-one type play. Podz plays the full game and I just don’t think he has THAT type of athleticism.

In either case, we’ll see. But I’m content taking the chance he’s not there at #28 rather than drafting him at #16.

I would rather keep 9 and 16
This is purely spilled milk, but the Jazz should be situated to be drafting 6 and 12 if Ainge had done a better version of the Lakers trade just before training camp (with Mike not going to Minnesota and getting a better return from the Lakers).

I don’t really know. This is a garbage post. We were just so close and could’ve really executed the in-season stuff better IMO. Ainge has done a great job overall and I’m just getting greedy.

I actually went the opposite way with him. The more I've watched and looked at Cam the more I'm convinced he's being slept on a bit.

Maybe it was because I came in too high. After my first watch, I was thinking.....maybe he should be in consideration with Miller because he's much younger and more explosive. But my second watch the lack of passing and good decision concerns that others have mention did stand out. Maybe I'm getting too critical as I'm starting to get more skeptical of just about everyone in the consensus top 7-8 picks.

Ya know... watched Podz again... would need to watch him in a full game. He may not be super slow... more deliberate. He tries hard on defense and has great anticipation and hands. Just seems to see the pass or move before it happens and is definitely giving effort. I would take him before JHS and try to make him a pg.

Maybe it was because I came in too high. After my first watch, I was thinking.....maybe he should be in consideration with Miller because he's much younger and more explosive. But my second watch the lack of passing and good decision concerns that others have mention did stand out. Maybe I'm getting too critical as I'm starting to get more skeptical of just about everyone in the consensus top 7-8 picks.
I feel the same way about the back half of the consensus top-7. I think Hendricks has a better case to be in that group of players than he does in the 8-11 group. There isn’t a player in the NBA that checks off the collection of boxes he checks off in theory (good 3-pt shooter, switchable 1-5, high-level rim protector).

I feel the same way about the back half of the consensus top-7. I think Hendricks has a better case to be in that group of players than he does in the 8-11 group. There isn’t a player in the NBA that checks off the collection of boxes he checks off in theory (good 3-pt shooter, switchable 1-5, high-level rim protector).

Chances are there is at least one team that likes a player outside of the consensus top 7 than a player in the top 7. I could see Hendricks, Dick, or one of Wallace/Black if they want a PG. POR in particular at 7.....I think Hendricks and Dick are types of players they really, really need right now. A Thompson twin and/or Cam Whitmore is probably not the ideal player for their situation.

I think the Jazz will have a decision to make. Someone from the top 7 likely falls, WAS probably wants to go PG at #8? That would leave the Jazz with a choice to draft the guy who falls.

I saw a Warriors fan say that Podz is a mix between Ty Jerome and Divencenzo.....I kinda get it. But the comparisons also make me a little suspicious :p

I think he will get by on defense. Even if his on ball defense will be lacking, he can make up for it with value as a rebounder and creating turnovers. Offensively he was fantastic as a pull up shooter, but I think he will struggle at the rim. He wasn't terrible, but not amazing at finishing at the rim or getting to the line.

Ya know... watched Podz again... would need to watch him in a full game. He may not be super slow... more deliberate. He tries hard on defense and has great anticipation and hands. Just seems to see the pass or move before it happens and is definitely giving effort. I would take him before JHS and try to make him a pg.

Yeah… not sure why he’s not getting more hype as a top-20 pick.

I saw a Warriors fan say that Podz is a mix between Ty Jerome and Divencenzo.....I kinda get it. But the comparisons also make me a little suspicious :p

I think he will get by on defense. Even if his on ball defense will be lacking, he can make up for it with value as a rebounder and creating turnovers. Offensively he was fantastic as a pull up shooter, but I think he will struggle at the rim. He wasn't terrible, but not amazing at finishing at the rim or getting to the line.
Its partly the left handed thing... but I could also see some Goran Dragic and Beno Udrih on offense. @Saint Cy of JFC mentioned Ty's size... and he does have t-rex arms.

I think Podz looks like a good vertical athlete when he loads up... like had a few blocks from behind. He just looks like he sees the floor so well on defense and I think he can survive that way. Kinda got stuck on some screens but may end up being a plus on defense if he's a pg.

His slowness stood out on some of his drives and maybe its him being more deliberate but some quick floaters and drives where he can't quite get to the ideal spot were where I had concerns. Like does nba athleticism and length eat him up or is he athletic and skilled enough to do some version of what he was doing in college.

I need to think of some cross race comps.