What's new

2023 NBA Draft Megathread

Our guy Andy on Bill Riley this week… mentioned two guys he liked in the draft… Waxed poetic about Tay Henny and then mentioned Cason Wallace.
I like both. Henny is obviously one of my favorites in the draft. And I like wallace better than black.

I like both. Henny is obviously one of my favorites in the draft. And I like wallace better than black.
Wallace has been tough for me to get a read on. I could see him being pretty good, but at the same time he could easily end up a career backup if his offense doesn’t translate.

He’s just one of the bigger questions to me.

Are we going to dance in a circle? The worth is just keeping their name in search engines. You commenting on it at all shows it has worth
Dance didn't even need to start. I posted my opinion that those videos are worthless. No other comments were necessary. I continue to think they are worthless. We can simply agree to disagree. I never even seached for anyone in any search engine. I just saw 5 seconds of a stupid video and quickly realized it was stupid and stopped watching.

Wallace has been tough for me to get a read on. I could see him being pretty good, but at the same time he could easily end up a career backup if his offense doesn’t translate.

I think he is a classic solid floor and sneaky upside guy. If the offense isn’t great I think it looks a lot like Davion Mitchell… but I’m a bigger believer in the shot and I am buying the Kentucky guard thing. Would prefer Tay Henny or Whitmore fall to us but I’d be more than happy with Wallace at 9.

Both Andy and Tony threw out Tay Henny as the guy the want and both threw out JJJ as a comp but added Tay Henny has a better three point shot. Say he could go 5 or 6… this is as high as I can ride the Tay Henny hype train… He may go 5 or 6 because he will kill the draft process and likely interview very well from what I’ve seen. If the next stop on the hype train is Tay Henny or Brandon Miller at #3 then I will be the one throwing down the wet blanket and telling people to chill out.

Both Andy and Tony threw out Tay Henny as the guy the want and both threw out JJJ as a comp but added Tay Henny has a better three point shot. Say he could go 5 or 6… this is as high as I can ride the Tay Henny hype train… He may go 5 or 6 because he will kill the draft process and likely interview very well from what I’ve seen. If the next stop on the hype train is Tay Henny or Brandon Miller at #3 then I will be the one throwing down the wet blanket and telling people to chill out.

JJJ with a better three ball? Yeah, that's insanity.

Getting a rotation level NBA player at the back end of the lottery, is still a pretty good outcome if that's the floor. There are a good percentage of lottery players that are out of the NBA after 5 years.

The thing I like so much about Wallace is he has a good combination of high floor, with a relatively high ceiling. He's good at almost everything. I think he just needs relatively reasonable improvements to get to be great at some things that propel him in to All Star levels.

I don’t think it is at all. I think their separation comes from JJJ being a truly legit 4/5.

Size wise they are very different and I don’t think they play much alike either. If there’s anything similar about them, I’d say it’s a similar level of 3 point shooting ability but that’s the thing that’s deprecating them? Idk about that.

If Hendricks was a better shooting JJJ he should go number 2 no questions asked, but he’s not close to that.

I don’t think it is at all. I think their separation comes from JJJ being a truly legit 4/5.
I think Taylor could offer a total value similar to JJJ someday but Jaren is longer and a better athlete… he also has drawbacks with inconsistent shooting and fouls that maybe Taylor avoids and the injury bug seems to have it out for Jaren. I get what Andy was trying to say… he brings some of the attributes you like from JJJ… but if you acknowledge Taylor’s better projected shooting then we may need to acknowledge he is likely a much worse rim protector.

I don’t think it’s insane to think someday Taylor could be as impactful as JJJ overall though… if you acknowledge his issues staying in the floor (health and fouls). It’s a top tier outcome though.

I think Taylor could offer a total value similar to JJJ someday but Jaren is longer and a better athlete… he also has drawbacks with inconsistent shooting and fouls that maybe Taylor avoids and the injury bug seems to have it out for Jaren. I get what Andy was trying to say… he brings some of the attributes you like from JJJ… but if you acknowledge Taylor’s better projected shooting then we may need to acknowledge he is likely a much worse rim protector.

I don’t think it’s insane to think someday Taylor could be as impactful as JJJ overall though… if you acknowledge his issues staying in the floor (health and fouls). It’s a top tier outcome though.
So you think Hendricks can become a DPOY?

I see 0 pathways for Hendricks for ever becoming as good as JJJ. He just doesnt have the size and high mismatch potential. I also think JJJ isnt even all that close to maximizing his offensive potential.

So you think Hendricks can become a DPOY?
Not what I said at all. I don’t think he can be DPOY. I think he could be as impactful as JJJ is everything breaks right for him due to being a potentially better shooter and being able to play more minutes. Maybe more of an Aaron Gordon level of impact.

To me when I think of how Hendricks will translate to the NBA, I think of prime Marcus Morris. That's a super valuable player to have on your team, so if he can reach or exceed that, I think he'll be worth a late lottery pick. I don't think that's worth an early lottery pick though.

The instant someone sees Hendricks stand next to JJJ people are going to take that comparison back lol.

JJJ has a totally different physical profile and also is a more talented player.