What's new

2023 NBA Draft Megathread

Not what I said at all. I don’t think he can be DPOY. I think he could be as impactful as JJJ is everything breaks right for him due to being a potentially better shooter and being able to play more minutes. Maybe more of an Aaron Gordon level of impact.
I mean, defense is half the game. JJJ is one of the most impactful defenders in the NBA and a much better offensive player than Hendricks will ever be. Hendricks would have to be a 6+ 3PA per game on 40% shooting while providing border line All-Defensive team defense to be close to JJJ's overall impact IMO

I honestly don't think the surgery will hurt Whitehead's draft stock. Someone will still take him top 25 for sure. He's very young, talented and has a lot of potential.

I mean, defense is half the game. JJJ is one of the most impactful defenders in the NBA and a much better offensive player than Hendricks will ever be. Hendricks would have to be a 6+ 3PA per game on 40% shooting while providing border line All-Defensive team defense to be close to JJJ's overall impact IMO
I think he can do that. He also might be able to play more than 30 minutes a night and might end up being more durable than JJJ… being in the game is fairly important.

It’s an upper end outcome… my problem with the comp is is sounds like a lower end outcome when someone says he’s JJJ with better shooting. I think he could be a much better shooter, he might be more disciplined on defense which means less fouls, but he’s not nearly as good as a rim protector. He’s going to be a really good secondary rim protector… JJJ is a very good primary rim protector.

So you think Hendricks can become a DPOY?
He said: I don’t think it’s insane to think someday Taylor could be as impactful as JJJ overall though… if you acknowledge his issues staying in the floor (health and fouls). It’s a top tier outcome though.
He didn't say: I think hendricks can become a DPOY

Size wise they are very different and I don’t think they play much alike either. If there’s anything similar about them, I’d say it’s a similar level of 3 point shooting ability but that’s the thing that’s deprecating them? Idk about that.

If Hendricks was a better shooting JJJ he should go number 2 no questions asked, but he’s not close to that.
… I don’t think anyone said they were identical. I intended to convey what you just said in fewer words.

Let me try again: in my mind, JJJ’s niche is his combination of high-level rim protection, defensive versatility, and three point shooting ability. I think the general package that Hendrick’s could provide is pretty similar, though the particulars are different (I think Hendricks could be a better shooter, but he’s not a legit NBA big so he won’t block as many shots, but he might also be more switchable across lineups too). Their value comes from the overall combination of those attributes and the list of players with them is very short.

Last edited:
… I don’t think anyone said they were identical. I intended to convey what you just said in fewer words.

Let me try again: in my mind, JJJ’s niche is his combination of high-level rim protection, defensive versatility, and three point shooting ability. I think the general package that Hendrick’s could provide is pretty similar, though the particulars are different (I think Hendricks could be a better shooter, but he’s not a legit NBA big so he won’t block as many shots, but he might also be more switchable across lineups too). Their value comes from the overall combination of those attributes and the list of players with them is very short.

I get that comparisons don’t have to be perfect, but they are not close at all especially when you specify that one of things that they are most similar at (shooting) is actually a differentiator. Like if you’re going to say the shooting is different (it’s actually one of the closest things they have in common), what is similar about the two?

The first thing you should notice about JJJ is that he’s a legit who is the very best in the league at shot blocking. That’s who JJJ and like you said Hendricks is not that guy and he will never be that guy. It’s not the particulars that are different it’s the defining attributes of each player.

Hendricks has good size and shot blocking for a wing, but compared to bigs he would not stand out in either area. JJJ stands out in both areas not just as a wing but amongst actual bigs and every other player in the league.

Like I said, the instant these guys stand next to each other it will become obvious this comparison is not a comparison at all.

I get that comparisons don’t have to be perfect, but they are not close at all especially when you specify that one of things that they are most similar at (shooting) is actually a differentiator. Like if you’re going to say the shooting is different (it’s actually one of the closest things they have in common), what is similar about the two?

The first thing you should notice about JJJ is that he’s a legit who is the very best in the league at shot blocking. That’s who JJJ and like you said Hendricks is not that guy and he will never be that guy. It’s not the particulars that are different it’s the defining attributes of each player.

Hendricks has good size and shot blocking for a wing, but compared to bigs he would not stand out in either area. JJJ stands out in both areas not just as a wing but amongst actual bigs and every other player in the league.

Like I said, the instant these guys stand next to each other it will become obvious this comparison is not a comparison at all.
They are both bigger players who can shoot well and defend well. They also have differences too.

I just watched a full Cason Wallace game and kinda confirmed what I’ve thought for a while. Good defender, but not all that skilled with the ball and average shooter. I’m not in on him at 9, 16 yes, he seems to finish well and is good in midrange, but he seems limited when he can attack the rim, kinda like Exum but without the elite first step like Ex had. He also doesn’t create space for himself that much. I could be wrong, you can’t get a proper read off one game. If his defense wasn’t so good, I’m not sure I’d even look at him till early to mid 20’s in the draft.

So is this accurate? Let me hear your thoughts on him.

I just watched a full Cason Wallace game and kinda confirmed what I’ve thought for a while. Good defender, but not all that skilled with the ball and average shooter. I’m not in on him at 9, 16 yes, he seems to finish well and is good in midrange, but he seems limited when he can attack the rim, kinda like Exum but without the elite first step like Ex had. He also doesn’t create space for himself that much. I could be wrong, you can’t get a proper read off one game. If his defense wasn’t so good, I’m not sure I’d even look at him till early to mid 20’s in the draft.

So is this accurate? Let me hear your thoughts on him.
Thanks for the post/info. Good post.