What's new

2023 NBA Draft Megathread

Well you are trying to make the case that we should ignore the bad part of the season. It's certainly a take to say we should ignore a portion of the season because he was clearly overmatched while also saying he is closer to being a good NBA level. Whatever floats your boat man.

If he is closer than we think, it is because his role player skills are much better than what he displayed. I'm open to that idea as I've said countless times now. I think if GG makes it, it just won't be in the version of him that we are imaging as the "high potential" scenario. If we are going to choose to ignore something, I would say we should ignore the number one option stuff and start thinking about how he can help an NBA team.
You draft talent. You don't draft him to be a guaranteed #1 option. You take the talent and you mold it. The footwork, the size, the athleticism, teh shooting stroke, the handle, the defensive potential (yes, has shown he plays defense outside of college, more basketball exist than his 32 games at South Carolina), and the youth. He's the entire package as far as a score first forward goes.

That’s why Wiggins went #1 and why we are talking about GG in the 9-16 range. I definitely think GG would have better numbers if he played on a better team.
One was an all american, one was a net negative player. I don't really think there's a need to compare the two. There are guys like Cam and Clowney in this draft who are a few months older than GG. Those months count, but we there were also actually good players.

I do think GG could have potentially looked better on a different team. I don't buy into him as this number one scorer type guy, but I could be convinced that he has better role player skills than he displayed. He had a better reputation for this stuff in high school, but at the same time he was basically an F- at South Carolina.

I've said before that my approach to evaluating players is very simple. I just look at how intelligently they move. That's most of it. The elite players move with more purpose and intelligence than the average players. It applies on both ends. It considers things like balance, nuance, advanced timing, handspeed, footspeed, and how well they see the game. The next consideration is how hard they play, whether they're aggressive getting downhill and making plays happen.

You can say that it's a lazy approach and that I probably have a blindspot, especially for players who don't look that physically gifted, but it can sift out a lot of guys right away who aren't going to be starter-level NBA players.

If GG is doing the stuff below as a 17 year-old, it shows he has the physical talent to be a high-level NBA player. No one knows what he's going to be for 2 or 3 years, but I can see why scouts would call him the best prospect in his class.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQOQ0SzRN44&t=7s

One was an all american, one was a net negative player. I don't really think there's a need to compare the two. There are guys like Cam and Clowney in this draft who are a few months older than GG. Those months count, but we there were also actually good players.

I do think GG could have potentially looked better on a different team. I don't buy into him as this number one scorer type guy, but I could be convinced that he has better role player skills than he displayed. He had a better reputation for this stuff in high school, but at the same time he was basically an F- at South Carolina.

7 months is more than a few. It’s not like either one of them lit the world on fire either. They both weren’t #1 options either and played on way better teams.

You draft talent. You don't draft him to be a guaranteed #1 option. You take the talent and you mold it. The footwork, the size, the athleticism, teh shooting stroke, the handle, the defensive potential (yes, has shown he plays defense outside of college, more basketball exist than his 32 games at South Carolina), and the youth. He's the entire package as far as a score first forward goes.

I do think you draft for talent, I just don't think the talent level is that insane. I do not see the talent to get to the rim, make shots off the dribble, make plays with his physical tools, get to the free throw line, or make plays for others. I do think the shooting is somewhat promising, but at the same time we look at his shooting record is comparable to someone who we consider that to be a weakness for. Defensively, he does have a better prior reputation for this as I've said before, but he has potential in the same way that every bad defender has potential.

IMO, his path to being a pro is proving that he is a good shooter on offense and also proving that he can be a good defender/rebounder. If you're making the case that this is the player he will become, I don't think that's crazy even if it will take lots of development to do so. I just don't see a path for him as this number one option type scorer.

To be fair to GG an apple to apple comparison to the other draftees one would have to project how his stats would look as a sophomore. If age is huge future indicator then one must accommodate that he is competing a year earlier. For GG scouting Intel and interviews and context is key

7 months is more than a few. It’s not like either one of them lit the world on fire either. They both weren’t #1 options either and played on way better teams.

They are closer to 5 months older. If GG returned next year and was as good as them, it would be a massive improvement. They said this stuff about Emoni too, and turns out you can't just project one of the greatest individual improvements onto any player. These types of improvements do happen, but understand how great of a improvement it would take. I do think we are at the point where we are babying a prospect too much when we present the idea that we should throw out conference play because it was too hard.

I can buy into the idea that GG would have been better in a much different role and that different role is how he can succeed in the NBA. Like if you swapped Clowney and GG, Clowney is just awful in a number one option type role and GG is a really good player in a smaller role like Clowney was. I just don't buy into this idea that GG is this super talented scorer with potential to do that at the NBA level.

The thing is that when we're doing this hypothetical swap, I know with certainty that Noah Clowney was good in that smaller role and was good at it. There's no guarantee that translates, of course, but I feel good about it his chances and that's why I have him ranked 15th on my board.

They are closer to 5 months older. If GG returned next year and was as good as them, it would be a massive improvement. They said this stuff about Emoni too, and turns out you can't just project one of the greatest individual improvements onto any player. These types of improvements do happen, but understand how great of a improvement it would take. I do think we are at the point where we are babying a prospect too much when we present the idea that we should throw out conference play because it was too hard.

I can buy into the idea that GG would have been better in a much different role and that different role is how he can succeed in the NBA. Like if you swapped Clowney and GG, Clowney is just awful in a number one option type role and GG is a really good player in a smaller role like Clowney was. I just don't buy into this idea that GG is this super talented scorer with potential to do that at the NBA level.

The thing is that when we're doing this hypothetical swap, I know with certainty that Noah Clowney was good in that smaller role and was good at it. There's no guarantee that translates, of course, but I feel good about it his chances and that's why I have him ranked 15th on my board.

I got the year mixed up my bad. I like Cam and Clowney too. I’m with the young guys.

I got the year mixed up my bad. I like Cam and Clowney too. I’m with the young guys.

I'm a big fan of youth too. It's a reason why I like Bilal, Clowney, and Cam a lot. I like that about GG too, of course, I'm just not nearly as impressed by his game.

I wouldn’t mind GG at 16. I think there are much better players with higher floors at 9 though.

I have him at 24 on my board, and there is a full tier above him that makes up 17-21. I wouldn't consider him at #16, but I wouldn't be that upset. I think he is right up Ainge's alley, so I think it's somewhat realistic we end up drafting him.

It is beyond silly to me that people are mad about a scenario that is extremely unlikely to happen. There is a such a small chance that we lose the pick due to the Lakers being in the top 4. It’s like being worried about a lightning strike.
And the best case scenario is that the Lakers tank and actually try to get the pick to fall in the protections... because it leaves us with at worst a 50% shot at the 5th pick. If you took all of our unprotected picks we own and gave me a 50% shot its like the 5th pick and 50% shot its like the 33rd pick... I'd love that.

And the best case scenario is that the Lakers tank and actually try to get the pick to fall in the protections... because it leaves us with at worst a 50% shot at the 5th pick. If you took all of our unprotected picks we own and gave me a 50% shot its like the 5th pick and 50% shot its like the 33rd pick... I'd love that.

On the other hand with the flattened odds, if the Lakers are a lower end lotter team that year, there will be a better chance they get a top 4 pick than in the past. Then you have the worries about the NBA conspiracy for the Lakers and against the Jazz to get them a top 4 pick no matter where they end up.

On the other hand with the flattened odds, if the Lakers are a lower end lotter team that year, there will be a better chance they get a top 4 pick than in the past. Then you have the worries about the NBA conspiracy for the Lakers and against the Jazz to get them a top 4 pick no matter where they end up.
Even that gives us like an 80% chance at a good lotto pick. I don’t buy the conspiracies on the draft… even though they are fun.

Because of the protections on the pick I think that one has more value in holding it until 2027. Think it has more value in our hand than in a trade. If someone values it more than the Cavs or Minny pick then by all means move it but just guessing the certainty of unprotected picks is better in trades.