What's new

2023 NBA Draft Megathread

I think when you consider fit that some might push the wing/bigs like Ausar, Cam, Hendricks, and Walker up in a tier or subtier above Black. I think there are some smart folks that also have Black in their top 6 or 7. I just see him as the most likely of the top 9 to be there since the pgs at the top of the draft have some fit concerns so if one team reaches for non-pg it could push everyone back a spot or two.

Like if Houston take Cam and Detroit goes Hendricks or Walker... then what? I think the idea of moving up to 8 for me is a double move... if you can move up to 8 and get a wing then you can hopefully trade up to #10 to grab the pg you want. If Wiz go wing then you have your choice of Black and Wallace... I doubt Dallas takes a pg but who knows who is drafting for them at #10.

So you get the premium wing and a pg.

If the price is high I'm cool taking Black or Wallace at 9 or whatever wing falls and then seeing what is there at 16. I think one of Bufkin, George, Bilal, Miller are there at 16... maybe 2 of them.

I could see Orlando taking Black at 6. I think that is a near perfect fit for them. That also means if they thought he’d be there at 9 we could use a future first to move up.

I could see Orlando taking Black at 6. I think that is a near perfect fit for them. That also means if they thought he’d be there at 9 we could use a future first to move up.
Orlando is kind of weird. Not sure Black is perfect there but not sure how they view Fultz, Suggs, Anthony. If none are pgs they want then Black with Paolo, Franz, Carter makes some sense. I suppose if they got Black and Gradey you have Black, Gradey, Franz, Paolo, Carter... that's kinda something that works well?

Orlando is kind of weird. Not sure Black is perfect there but not sure how they view Fultz, Suggs, Anthony. If none are pgs they want then Black with Paolo, Franz, Carter makes some sense. I suppose if they got Black and Gradey you have Black, Gradey, Franz, Paolo, Carter... that's kinda something that works well?

Black is someone who wouldn’t need the ball in his hands a lot and could play well next to someone like Fultz.

He has a promise from Indiana... I read it somewhere.

That makes sense, they have a lot of picks in the promise range. I also read something that Klintman was a candidate get stashed Josh Huestis style.

The other prospect that skipped the combine and is radio silent is Clowney. Wonder if he got a promise? It couldn’t be us right….

I might be alone on this, but I'm super excited to see what Hardy and crew can do with developing "their" guys. It feels kind of weird to see two "hits" with picks that aren't your own nor being top 10 in their class, but I suspect Ochai and Kessler aren't an outlier. If whomever we draft can develop as quickly as those two did over the course of next season... Man.

I might be alone on this, but I'm super excited to see what Hardy and crew can do with developing "their" guys. It feels kind of weird to see two "hits" with picks that aren't your own nor being top 10 in their class, but I suspect Ochai and Kessler aren't an outlier. If whomever we draft can develop as quickly as those two did over the course of next season... Man.
I think we'll have to tamper our expectations a little bit. We are likely drafting a freshman.

At this point I feel pretty comfortable penciling in Wallace or Black with the caveat of taking Ausar/Walker if they fall just based off what everyone is saying. Hopefully the Jazz take Whiteside or GG at 16.

Listening to the No Ceilings podcast team by team mock draft. Walker is falling, Washington selects Black! I can feel the elation on Jazzfanz!

With the next pick the Jazz select Brice Sensabaugh. . .
I like the No Ceilings guys but they act like just because the Jazz got Kessler they are gravy on defense. They definitely are not and I don't think you can just take Brice at 9 with the reasoning that Kessler can cover him. I don't think Kessler is going to be that level of game changing defender where that is the case. Rudy even struggled to do that for Clarkson/Donovan/Bogey

I like the No Ceilings guys but they act like just because the Jazz got Kessler they are gravy on defense. They definitely are not and I don't think you can just take Brice at 9 with the reasoning that Kessler can cover him. I don't think Kessler is going to be that level of game changing defender where that is the case. Rudy even struggled to do that for Clarkson/Donovan/Bogey
Those dudes stink. Lol’d 2-3 times listening to todays pod.

Having one good defender 'covering' for bad defenders is kind of silly in general. Maybe Wemby will break that mold, but Gobert was helpless surrounded by terrible perimeter defenders in the playoffs too, as you mentioned.

That's not how you build a team: "Oh here's a good defender without much offense. So a horrific defender who has some offensive skill fits right in..." That is just such awful analysis.

My impression watching Kobe Bufkin is that he could be comparable to the Tyrese Halliburton of this draft. I understand if the Jazz want Wallace to be their culture-setter, and they need to decide what style of lead guard they want, but I would take Bufkin long before I'd take Hood-Schifino.

I also still consider Bilal Coulibaly to be the value-pick Thompson twin of this draft.

Last edited:
We are the only team in the NBA that did noy hold a single team under 100 pointa all season. We could use some wing defense.

I think Whitehead will likely go ahead of Sensabaugh due to the defensive concerns with Brice.

My impression watching Kobe Bufkin is that he could be comparable to the Tyrese Halliburton of this draft. I understand if the Jazz want Wallace to be their culture-setter, and they need to decide what style of lead guard they want, but I would take Bufkin long before I'd take Hood-Schifino.

I also still consider Bilal Coulibaly to be the value-pick Thompson twin of this draft.

Comparable in which way? Someone who is taken later and becomes one of the best players in the class?